pamawemo

Flight arrangements and travel logistics

40 posts in this topic

We are getting closer to being together as my fiance's interview is on Valentine's Day. We won't buy an airline ticket until she has the visa in hand (thanks to advice here on VJ) but I have started looking at flights, logistics, etc. and have a couple questions.

Has anyone flown their fiance - or themselves - from MNL to MSP? Recommendations on airlines, connections, things to avoid, etc.? I flew Delta when I went over to the Philippines so that has been my starting point but thought I'd see if anyone here has advice.

What about baggage? How did your fiance get all of their belongings to the US? Did everything come on the flight over? She said she doesn't have that much but I want her to bring whatever she feels is needed to make the transition easier. 

Thanks for any insight. We are getting pretty excited!

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

Biometrics waived 3.28.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Biometrics appointment - 4.5.23

Interview (combo) - 8.6.23

Oath Ceremony!

1 hour ago, pamawemo said:

We are getting closer to being together as my fiance's interview is on Valentine's Day. We won't buy an airline ticket until she has the visa in hand (thanks to advice here on VJ) but I have started looking at flights, logistics, etc. and have a couple questions.

Has anyone flown their fiance - or themselves - from MNL to MSP? Recommendations on airlines, connections, things to avoid, etc.? I flew Delta when I went over to the Philippines so that has been my starting point but thought I'd see if anyone here has advice.

What about baggage? How did your fiance get all of their belongings to the US? Did everything come on the flight over? She said she doesn't have that much but I want her to bring whatever she feels is needed to make the transition easier. 

Thanks for any insight. We are getting pretty excited!

Delta is probably going to be best for you, I come from Dallas and have changed planes in MSP many a times. 

Tell her to pack all she needs in 2 to 4 suitcases.  I always travel to PI with carry on only,  You will get 2 Check on bags each per person,  I suspect she will not be able to fill up 4 suitcases.  

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, pamawemo said:

Has anyone flown their fiance - or themselves - from MNL to MSP? 

Only Philippine Air flies between MNL and the USA. You would fly to SFO or LAX and then take a United flight out of SFO or LAX to MSP or a Delta or American flight out of LAX to MSP. 

Yes Delta flies to Tokyo. Connections for a K1 from a country with a weak passport suck.  We spent lots of time in Bangkok and Taipei while the airline decided whether they were going to let her board.  I would have paid anything for a nonstop from RGN to the USA. 

I’ve taken Philippine Air between SFO and MNL in business class (which is often inexpensive) and the experience was fine. 

I strongly advise SFO as POE.

I brought two empty suit cases to Myanmar for my fiancée, in addition to my bag.   Due to my status on oneworld I could check all three for free. On the return, I used United miles, and again due to my status and her status (she gets her status through me because she is a million miler companion), we checked 5 bags between us on Thai Airways, connecting to Eva and then United.  

If you are flying coach and have no status, most likely you will get at most one free checked bag each at 50 pounds.  Some airlines might give you two free each. Checking a third bag per passenger can start to get really expensive on most airlines if one has no status and is flying coach.  

Most clothing is actually cheaper in the USA, so you might find paying $300 to check bags to not be worth it, when Zara in Minneapolis is selling $200 dresses for $20 on clearance.

And 240 volt high wattage devices like curling irons, hair dryers, etc are just useless scrap metal in the USA. You can buy these things for $10 each at Target.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Each person get two checked bags (even in coach) on international flights.

My wife has zero issues flying to the U.S. with a stop in Japan.

At POE allow adequate time to clear immigration & customs for additional flight.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Each person get two checked bags (even in coach) on international flights.

My wife has zero issues flying to the U.S. with a stop in Japan.

At POE allow adequate time to clear immigration & customs for additional flight.

Out of hundreds of airlines you are certain that for all fare classes and every international flight gives each passenger  two free checked bags.  Amazing.  

As for for your wife flying with zero issues to the USA with a stop in Japan, given most people are issued just one K1 visa in their lives, I’d certainly be interested to know how she became a serial K1 visa holder or how she scored a multi entry K1 visa. Truly amazing.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

HUH??    Serial K-1 ... ??  What are you smoking?   :wacko:  

My wife flew from Manila, with a stop-over in Japan (Narita)  and had zero issues ... where does that indicate multiple K-1 ?   :unsure:  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

20 hours ago, Mike E said:

Only Philippine Air flies between MNL and the USA. You would fly to SFO or LAX and then take a United flight out of SFO or LAX to MSP or a Delta or American flight out of LAX to MSP. 

Doing that then OP would have to pay extra baggage fee, since Delta allows 2 checked free on International Flights.  The getting on United or Delta out of LAX (LAX is a ghetto dump airport) wouldn't make sense.

Philippines Air only flies into the California and maybe still Las Vegas, You then have to take a connecting flight on another airline to get to your final destination if it outside the West Coast.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

I did find a flight from MNL to Tokyo on Philippines Airlines and then a Delta flight from Tokyo to MSP. It's on a site called justfly and listed as one itinerary. I don't know anything about them so have a little research to do. I usually prefer booking direct with a specific airline but we like the idea of MSP as her POE. 

Anyone ever use justfly?

Was hoping some fellow MSP folks might add their experiences on travel from MNL. I think I've seen some posting in this forum.

By the way, she is making the flight alone so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible. I will encourage her to get everything into 2 suitcases!

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

I did find a flight from MNL to Tokyo on Philippines Airlines and then a Delta flight from Tokyo to MSP. It's on a site called justfly and listed as one itinerary. I don't know anything about them so have a little research to do. I usually prefer booking direct with a specific airline but we like the idea of MSP as her POE. 

Anyone ever use justfly?

Was hoping some fellow MSP folks might add their experiences on travel from MNL. I think I've seen some posting in this forum.

By the way, she is making the flight alone so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible. I will encourage her to get everything into 2 suitcases!

Be very careful when booking through Justfly.  I booked a flight through Tokyo via Justfly, and the connecting flight was in another airport 50 miles away........unfortunately, I didn't notice that until the night before departing Taipei, and it cost me several hundred dollars to get the arriving and connecting flight in NRT.  I will never use Justfly again...ever....

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

One more thing:  I really, really like NRT.  I have flown through and visited Japan several times.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

2 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

Doing that then OP would have to pay extra baggage fee, since Delta allows 2 checked free on International Flights.  The getting on United or Delta out of LAX (LAX is a ghetto dump airport) wouldn't make sense.

Philippines Air only flies into the California and maybe still Las Vegas, You then have to take a connecting flight on another airline to get to your final destination if it outside the West Coast.

Philippines Air also flies to JFK with their AIrbus A350, but it's still not the best option because of the need to pay baggage fees to ship the bags from JFK on a different airline to MSP.
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/philipphine-airlines-a350-economy/

Use google flights for finding cheap fares.   But make sure there is plenty of time for immigration at the POE.  2 hours can be too short.  4 hours is better.  Once you find the fare call the airline to book for a later connection if needed.   They will usually waive the ticket fee.   Technically 24 hours or less is a valid connection time. Most international flights will have a checked baggage allowance of 1 plus a carry on and a personal item.

When my wife came I brought back her hot pink suitcase a few days earlier.  She came with a little overhead case and her backpack.   I had dozen polo shorts and some shoes for her at home. She gave away all of her 220v stuff.  I already gave her a google fi phone and made sure she had HK and Chinese Money since she connected both places.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

22 hours ago, missileman said:

Be very careful when booking through Justfly.  I booked a flight through Tokyo via Justfly, and the connecting flight was in another airport 50 miles away........unfortunately, I didn't notice that until the night before departing Taipei, and it cost me several hundred dollars to get the arriving and connecting flight in NRT.  I will never use Justfly again...ever....

Thanks. Upon further review, I'm not going to risk using justfly. Too many bad reviews.

8 hours ago, Paul & Mary said:

Use google flights for finding cheap fares.   But make sure there is plenty of time for immigration at the POE.  2 hours can be too short.  4 hours is better.  Once you find the fare call the airline to book for a later connection if needed.   They will usually waive the ticket fee.   Technically 24 hours or less is a valid connection time. Most international flights will have a checked baggage allowance of 1 plus a carry on and a personal item.

When my wife came I brought back her hot pink suitcase a few days earlier.  She came with a little overhead case and her backpack.   I had dozen polo shorts and some shoes for her at home. She gave away all of her 220v stuff.  I already gave her a google fi phone and made sure she had HK and Chinese Money since she connected both places.

I think I will book directly with Delta. She can fly MNL to Tokyo, then to Seattle as her POE. Good reviews here on VJ for Seattle POE. There is a flight with a 4-hour layover in Seattle, then on to MSP. Thanks for the heads-up about the styling tools and such. Oh, and Delta does allow 2 50-pound checked bags, a carry-on with specific dimensions and a personal item so I hope we are good to go. Thanks, all!

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Timeline
On 2/2/2019 at 6:12 AM, pamawemo said:

What about baggage? How did your fiance get all of their belongings to the US? Did everything come on the flight over?

My wife first shipped 8 small boxes to me over the course of a few months.  The photo below is her as she arrived at DFW:

image.png.ccf9fdd6d174e6426e6b1922d3e6d157.png

Edited by missileman

16 minutes ago, missileman said:

My wife first shipped 8 small boxes to me over the course of a few months.  The photo below is her as she arrived at DFW:

image.png.ccf9fdd6d174e6426e6b1922d3e6d157.png

That's a great photo! So she checked those boxes? Were they opened up at her POE and how did she secure them after that? Not sure my fiance even has two suitcases so the boxes is an idea.

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.