Eric&Mirella

Help! Saw my fiance just once for 2 weeks last year. We can't travel again before the interview.

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Well, keep in mind that the expiry date on the NOA2 is not a hard date. You usually have one year after the date on the NOA2 for you to schedule and attend the interview. I can tell because at the US embassy in Bogota, they outright tell you in the emailed packet 3/4 that you have one year after the date of approval to attend your interview. I even contacted them (emailed the embassy) to make sure I didn't have to ask for an extension or anything, and their reply was that I didn't have to do anything. Maybe is very similar in Venezuela but obviously you should make sure by contacting them.

I can tell because my then fiancé and I also worked and couldn't make our company-approved holidays coincide. He finally traveled to Colombia for the interview which was scheduled for March 2018, and our NOA2 had expired the previous month, in February. So, you could contact the embassy in Caracas, ask for the specifics in whether you can and how to ask for an extension, and schedule the interview after July or August.

If you can't do that, well, just take a lot of evidence to your interview: pictures of the two of you, screenshots of chats, skyping sessions, phone records, passport stamps and plane tickets, hotel invoices, etc. You can make it a thick packet if you want.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
9 minutes ago, dnyal said:

Well, keep in mind that the expiry date on the NOA2 is not a hard date. You usually have one year after the date on the NOA2 for you to schedule and attend the interview. I can tell because at the US embassy in Bogota, they outright tell you in the emailed packet 3/4 that you have one year after the date of approval to attend your interview. I even contacted them (emailed the embassy) to make sure I didn't have to ask for an extension or anything, and their reply was that I didn't have to do anything. Maybe is very similar in Venezuela but obviously you should make sure by contacting them.

I can tell because my then fiancé and I also worked and couldn't make our company-approved holidays coincide. He finally traveled to Colombia for the interview which was scheduled for March 2018, and our NOA2 had expired the previous month, in February. So, you could contact the embassy in Caracas, ask for the specifics in whether you can and how to ask for an extension, and schedule the interview after July or August.

If you can't do that, well, just take a lot of evidence to your interview: pictures of the two of you, screenshots of chats, skyping sessions, phone records, passport stamps and plane tickets, hotel invoices, etc. You can make it a thick packet if you want.

Thank you, I'm taking evidence from before and after meeting. Scheduling the interview for those dates is impossible since the embassy in Caracas has openings every 4-8 weeks  and my interview is on March 1st. Trying to contact them is pretty hard, because if you call they'll tell you to send an email and may take several days or weeks  to receive a generic answer. The embassy is understaffed. I also took my vacation time for this year the first 2 weeks of January 😐. I'll just go to my interview and wait for the best 🤞🤞🤞 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Eric&Mirella said:

Scheduling the interview for those dates is impossible since the embassy in Caracas has openings every 4-8 weeks  and my interview is on March 1st.

Same in Colombia: they open their schedule two months at a time, and they won't open the second month until the first month is almost all booked. I got the packet 3/4 in October, 2017, and I just kept rescheduling every month, until March, 2018. The website we use in Colombia for scheduling interviews mentions that you can reschedule as many times as you need for up to one year after payment (for DS-160 interviews; one year after NOA2 for K-1, obviously).

At least try to contact them; you got nothing to lose. I used the email on their website for the US embassy in Bogota, and they answered me within a few days with a very specific response. After all, I just asked a very specific topic: do I need to ask for an extension for a K-1 notice of action approval that is expiring soon? Take a look at your packet 3/4 and the email (or physical letter) they sent you to see if it mentions anything about how long you have (mine did). Remember to put your "case number" (it starts with three letters; BGT for Colombia, I imagine something starting with C for Venezuela), full names and birth dates of both you and your fiancé in the email.

In any case, you should relax and just keep all your paperwork in order.

Congrats on your engagement, btw. Te deseo éxitos!

Edited by dnyal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
4 minutes ago, dnyal said:

Same in Colombia: they open their schedule two months at a time, and they won't open the second month until the first month is almost all booked. I got the packet 3/4 in October, 2017, and I just kept rescheduling every month, until March, 2018. The website we use in Colombia for scheduling interviews mentions that you can reschedule as many times as you need for up to one year after payment (for DS-160 interviews; one year after NOA2 for K-1, obviously).

At least try to contact them; you got nothing to lose. I used the email on their website for the US embassy in Bogota, and they answered me within a few days with a very specific response. After all, I just asked a very specific topic: do I need to ask for an extension for a K-1 notice of action approval that is expiring soon? Take a look at your packet 3/4 and the email (or physical letter) they sent you to see if it mentions anything about how long you have (mine did). Remember to put your "case number" (it starts with three letters; BGT for Colombia, I imagine something starting with C for Venezuela), full names and birth dates of both you and your fiancé in the email.

In any case, you should relax and just keep all your paperwork in order.

Congrats on your engagement, btw. Te deseo éxitos!

Gracias corazón. On packet 3/4 nothing is mentioned. They just confirmed my interview and send me the list of documents I need to provide plus the list of doctors. My medical is next week and one of the drs died,so we have been warned that may take longer to get results. Usually takes 2 weeks. We got a new car so is hard for us to afford new holidays, our meeting was + 6k dollars last year and we should meet somewhere else. US citizens can't enter Venezuela and a tourist visa is a mission impossible even for someone like me who has a great income. Btw, I just checked your consulate review and is amazing!!  I've decided to go to my interview 🙃 on my original date. Que sea lo que Dios quiera 🙏🙏🙏 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.