pamawemo

Travel logistics and cell phone

17 posts in this topic

I'm hoping my fiance will be heading to the US in March. She is traveling alone and we are trying to figure out how we can stay in touch during her travels. She has a cell phone in the Philippines but I think it is locked. And she was considering leaving her phone for her mom. Can I send her a cell phone that she will then use once she is in the US? What would people suggest?

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

Biometrics waived 3.28.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Biometrics appointment - 4.5.23

Interview (combo) - 8.6.23

Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

I'm hoping my fiance will be heading to the US in March. She is traveling alone and we are trying to figure out how we can stay in touch during her travels. She has a cell phone in the Philippines but I think it is locked. And she was considering leaving her phone for her mom. Can I send her a cell phone that she will then use once she is in the US? What would people suggest?

You could send a phone but the cost to ship would make it a very expensive phone

An OPPO A37 works with Sprint & ATT (Ting & Cricket or Tracfone for short term service) costs about $100 in the Phils new.

Most airports have wifi and she could use messenger or such even. ... just an idea.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

They don't have locked cellphones per se like we do.  All they need to do is swap in a different sim card and they change carriers.

A wifi device would probably be the best idea

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

They don't have locked cellphones per se like we do.  All they need to do is swap in a different sim card and they change carriers.

A wifi device would probably be the best idea

Ok, thanks. She doesn't have another wifi device; just her phone. I'm planning to add her to my account and I have an extra phone that will be hers. I suppose I could activate it and send it to her and she could at least call when she gets to the states. Guess I better check to see if I can even send a cell phone. She is just nervous and wants to be able to contact me as needed.

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Timeline
Just now, pamawemo said:

Ok, thanks. She doesn't have another wifi device; just her phone. I'm planning to add her to my account and I have an extra phone that will be hers. I suppose I could activate it and send it to her and she could at least call when she gets to the states. Guess I better check to see if I can even send a cell phone. She is just nervous and wants to be able to contact me as needed.

Understand the nerves, just be aware that no phone use is allowed while she is in the CBP area

YMMV

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

You are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Have her take her phone.  Once she is in the US, she can send the phone back to her mom when all this travel BS is over.

Why add the stress of sending her a new phone now?  One she is unfamiliar with.

Edited by aaron2020

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Even if a phone is locked, Wi Fi still works.  You can use FB Messenger.  WhatsApp.  Viber.  Most airports have free Wi Fi.  

Oh, awesome. I think I will just have her bring her phone and we can communicate with one of those options. Less hassle. Thank you!

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Timeline

We both have iphones, so when my husband went through Dubai on a layover (his choice to fly that route) he just connected to wifi and we facetimed briefly on his layover.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
35 minutes ago, pamawemo said:

Oh, awesome. I think I will just have her bring her phone and we can communicate with one of those options. Less hassle. Thank you!

keep in mind it will have to clear customs, and be declared over a certain value, and then whoever is picking it up will have to pay tax on the phone based on the value. IDK if it is the same in the Philippines as I know it is in Egypt

Timeline

It would probably be cheaper to buy momma a new phone than the cost of shipping one from the USA 

YMMV

6 minutes ago, payxibka said:

It would probably be cheaper to buy momma a new phone than the cost of shipping one from the USA 

I like how you think. 

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, pamawemo said:

Not all phones from the Philippine are on the same bands as the carries in the States so be prepared for it not to work.   

Get the IMEI numbers from her phone and check it with your carrier .. that will tell them if it will even work with your carrier.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

22 hours ago, pamawemo said:

What is this, 2005?

17 minutes ago, juggy_11 said:

What is this, 2005?

2019 last time I checked. But thanks for asking.

Removal of Conditions

filed 2.25.22

NOA 3.1.22

N-400

Applied online 3.13.23

NOA 3.13.23

Oath Ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.