Mblosser

Entering the U.S. after approval

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hey everyone! So my wife got approved her IR1 on Oct 31, 2018. We aren't entering the U.S. until Feb 20, 2019 because her Dad got cancer and we were taking care of him until he got better. We are all paid up for all the fees and have the X-rays and Packet that was sent to us and of course her passport with the Visa in it. Is there anything else we need to bring? Also, do we need to advise the USCIS what date we are entering? How does the process work when we reach the POE? An officer just takes us aside and opens the packet? Thanks everyone for your help!

-Mike-

3 minutes ago, Mblosser said:

Hey everyone! So my wife got approved her IR1 on Oct 31, 2018. We aren't entering the U.S. until Feb 20, 2019 because her Dad got cancer and we were taking care of him until he got better. We are all paid up for all the fees and have the X-rays and Packet that was sent to us and of course her passport with the Visa in it. Is there anything else we need to bring? Also, do we need to advise the USCIS what date we are entering? How does the process work when we reach the POE? An officer just takes us aside and opens the packet? Thanks everyone for your help!

-Mike-

No, you do not need to notify anyone at all. You will just arrive at the POE and CBP will go through the Packet right there. Hopefully you can both go through together in the USC line. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

No, you do not need to notify anyone at all. You will just arrive at the POE and CBP will go through the Packet right there. Hopefully you can both go through together in the USC line. 

They would go together through the foreigner line, but otherwise the answer above is correct.  POE is Port of Entry.  CBP is Customs and Border Protection.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

4 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

They would go together through the foreigner line, but otherwise the answer above is correct.  POE is Port of Entry.  CBP is Customs and Border Protection.

My wife has gone through the USC line both times when going through the POE with me.The first time she came in the K1, and the 2nd time she had her GC. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mblosser said:

-Mike-

Every POE is different. I went through POE in Dublin (it's an overseas CBP station) and it was a breeze. I was through in about 3-5 minutes, officer just looked at the content of the envelope, asked me if I had food with me (which I did but he trusted that everything was alright so didn't need to see it) and I was on my way to my connecting flight to the US! Some POE's in the US will take the immigrant into a room, sit them down while checking everything. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, other times it takes 1 hour. But in the end it's all good to go. Just ask the person that guides everyone to the right line if she can come with you in the USC line to avoid any problems.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

My wife has gone through the USC line both times when going through the POE with me.The first time she came in the K1, and the 2nd time she had her GC. 

And that might work at some POEs but is not "proper" for an immigrant visa holder.  With a green card, you go through the line marked Citizens and residents.  They tend to be nice enough not to send somebody to the back of some other line.  Good for them.  Doing it right, is good for the immigrant.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

What airport?

from south american it could be Miami

but if you can transfer in Fort Lauderdale it is much easier

We flew into there and he was allowed to go thru US area with me  small lines

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.