NoJ

Bogota Embassy Interview this morning....

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, NoJ said:

Shows today’s date as last update 

Just keep an eye on that, that's the only official source of information, maybe you can also send an email, but from my experience what I get was an automatic reply, I have not try the phone call yet, so I do not know if it works. Ours it's been in Administrative Processing since the very same day of the interview. Again from my experience. Bear in mind that there is people with lot more experience, and can give you a better insight.

Edited by Valmabe

®️

Timeline

I was interviewed in Bogota embassy three years ago for my K1 visa. My interview lasted five minutes and the CO told me my visa was approved right away. My case changed to AP the same day. The next day said "Approved". I received my visa one week later. Maybe things have changed.

K1 VISA

02-18-2015 (day 0 ): I-129f sent

02-24-2015 (day 6 ): NOA 1

03-17-2015 (day 21): NOA 2

05-08-2015 (day 52): Interview (Approved) :yes:

05-16-2015 (day 60): Visa in hand

06-19-2015 (day 91): US entry :dance:

08-22-2015: Marriage :wub:

AOS - EAD - AP

09-12-2015 (day 0): AOS, EAD and AP sent

09-15-2015 (day 3): Package delivered and received

09-17-2015 (day 5) : NOA 1 :thumbs:

10-06-2015 (day 24): Biometrics done!! :content:

10-28-2015 (day 46): Interview scheduled :dancing:

11-12-2015 (day 62): EAD and AP approved!! :thumbs:

11-17-2015 (day 67): EAD card was mailed to me!! :clock:

11-20-2015 (day 70): EAD and AP (Combo Card) was received by mail. :yes:

12-01-2015 (day 81): Interview day!!...My Green card was approved! :thumbs:

12-01-2015 (day 81): My new card is being produced :)

12-04-2015 (day 84): My Green Card was mailed to me :)

12-10-2015 (day 90): Green Card in hand!! :dance:

Timeline

Got an email response saying case is being reviewed and the related documents being processed.

this has been an exhausting long process that still continues hope to get a quick resolution here for my Fiancé and her 10 year old son. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

From my experience, Bogota embassy is pretty prompt. They kept her passport which is a good sign. You might very likely hear something this week. Was her medical clean?

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

I was very nervous going through the same process in London, so I'd like to try and clarify a few things. Please keep in mind all embasseys are different so I can't really say with 100% certainty.

The fact that they kept your passport is good. The fact that they did not give you a 221(g) or a 212 is also good (though a 221g in and of itself is not bad, even if there's no request for documents. We got one ourselves). Go over your interview with your fiance and ask yourself the following:

1. Did your fiance live in any other place? Did she need police certificates from these places?

2. Does she have a criminal record of any sort? Even 'crimes' or offenses that are expunged or seemingly minor can be cause for extra investigation (This was my fiance's case, traffic violation in our case.)
3.  Does your fiance work in a technological field or as a contracted employee? Sometimes these can trigger a full background check into employment history or a request for a resume.

4. You mentioned a child. Is the child 100% in your fiance's custody or is there a shared custody arrangement? Is there proof of this either way? They may just want to verify this.

As others have said above, you should hear back soon. Keep checking the CEAC. When the Immigrant Visa part chances to NonImmigrant, it is a good sign. You may see administrative processing with the last update date moving, or it may stay at the same date for many days. For me and my fiance, it took from the 14th of December to the 20th of december to go from Immigrant to Non Immigrant, and then from the 20th of December to the 8th of Jan to go from NonImmigrant Admin Processing to Issued. Keep in mind there were also holidays in that time period.

For you, I would say this sounds like a 1-3 week Admin Processing. Keep in mind that the embassy may be closed for Martin Luther King Jr Day next Monday , and it may cause the process to drag a little bit.

Generally, I would only try to contact them again if you've waited >60 days or really need the passport.

Good luck!

Timeline

thank you near, she does not have any criminal. no tech field, she has sole custody which father signed documents but they said they were waiting for some documents no idea what as they are so secretive.

it would be easier to say we need x,y,z to satisfy requirements its all a huge mystery 

It certainly would!

The problem is, these sorts of checks can also be security based. It could be that her name (or a relative's name possibly, it's all very nebulous how this works) pinged on a security database somewhere and it's as simple as double checking biometrics to confirm that your fiance isn't the offending party. Does she have a common name?

Was there any visa overstays? Most embassies will want to look further into that.

If no, then you should just assume they're running routine security and background checks of a nature they cannot divulge, and that if they took the passport they don't expect it to be too much of a time consuming issue. Like I said, It sounds like a 1-3weeker.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
15 hours ago, NoJ said:

I thought they would tell you right then it seemed strange to me, so this is how they normally do it? They keep you waiting even longer without knowing seems strange....

Perfectly normal to get an approval on spot, but also perfectly normal to not get an approval on spot.

Actually even if they say you're approved at the actual interview it still doesn't mean an approval is guaranteed. It's  only a guarantee once the visa status changes to "issued". So an approval on spot doesn't really mean a 100% sure approval.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.