banteras

Dealing I-751 Divorce waiver with Wrong Green Card.

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Thought about this but in case of their error they need the actual Green card to be mailed.

Therefore i will not have Green card to enter the US in few days. With receipt notice cannot enter at POE.

They need actual card even if expired. Maybe the most convenient is to enter the US and fix this afterwards. Even a little delay on i-751 will be for good reason ( their mistake ).

5 minutes ago, banteras said:

Thought about this but in case of their error they need the actual Green card to be mailed.

Therefore i will not have Green card to enter the US in few days. With receipt notice cannot enter at POE.

They need actual card even if expired. Maybe the most convenient is to enter the US and fix this afterwards. Even a little delay on i-751 will be for good reason ( their mistake ).

Well as stated in my previous post, this is why USCIS also provides the I-551 stamp in LPR's passports. The stamp is the exact same thing as the GC. The GC itself says "I-551" in the corner.

2 minutes ago, banteras said:

And suppose that i file today and receive the notice. After 2-3 months they will send new card.

And lets say they send it. What card will be this with what expiration date? My status techically expires 28 January 2019. They will send me a new card with expired date?

Not sure but it doesn't really matter because you can just get the stamp...

1 minute ago, banteras said:

And suppose that i file today and receive the notice. After 2-3 months they will send new card.

And lets say they send it. What card will be this with what expiration date? My status techically expires 28 January 2019. They will send me a new card with expired date?

The extension letter extends the validity of the green card by 18 months currently. So even if they send a green card that is already expired on it's face, the extension letter would make it valid still.

Or you can get the I-551 stamp. That's valid for 1 year and does not require any separate card.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, BOB91 said:

How long were you married before you were petitioned for green card? if you were married for more than 2 years before you applied for green card, then you get a 10 year green card automatically. CR is only for people who applied when they were married for less than two years at the time when they applied for green card.

He mentioned or asked how long you married before the issuance of the visa...I have a friend that married and they process took long and he was issued with 10 years greencard because his marriage is already 2 years before he will receive his greencard and as such he does not get 2 years rather 10 years...so you need to check if that was what happened in your case.

53 minutes ago, Akwunomy said:

He mentioned or asked how long you married before the issuance of the visa...I have a friend that married and they process took long and he was issued with 10 years greencard because his marriage is already 2 years before he will receive his greencard and as such he does not get 2 years rather 10 years...so you need to check if that was what happened in your case.

OP has clarified that he was supposed to get the 2 year GC and was mistakenly issued a 10 year GC instead.

I think that if you went through the consular process you come with a 10 year GC. For K1 and other visa adjustments within the US then you get a conditional GC. You should definitely have a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer. I know Brad Berstein, he is in NY but he does phone consultations, check him out.

27 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

I am not sure where u get January from to remove your conditions, when ur divorce was finalized, you were to file ROC in May 2018 with waiver.  

OP was admitted in January 2017, presumably on a spousal visa. His GC would be valid from Jan 2017 to Jan 2019. His dates are correct. Divorce timing doesn't play into when to file RoC.

15 minutes ago, Mellamanlola said:

I think that if you went through the consular process you come with a 10 year GC. For K1 and other visa adjustments within the US then you get a conditional GC. You should definitely have a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer. I know Brad Berstein, he is in NY but he does phone consultations, check him out.

Nope, consular vs AoS doesn't matter one bit. The only thing that matters is how long one has been married when admitted into the US on a spousal visa or when AoS is approved after K1 or other statuses. (Well AoS from K1 is pretty much guarantees a 2 year GC unless the AoS adjudication takes inordinately long. Some couples adjust from other statuses and get the 10 year GC because they've already been married more than 2 years by the time the AoS is approved.)

Edited by mushroomspore

25 minutes ago, Mellamanlola said:

Conditional residence is based upon the duration of the marriage at the time of attaining permanent residence. For consular processing, this is upon entry on the immigrant visa. For AOS, this is upon approval of the I-485.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

40 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

OP was admitted in January 2017, presumably on a spousal visa. His GC would be valid from Jan 2017 to Jan 2019. His dates are correct. Divorce timing doesn't play into when to file RoC.

Nope, consular vs AoS doesn't matter one bit. The only thing that matters is how long one has been married when admitted into the US on a spousal visa or when AoS is approved after K1 or other statuses. (Well AoS from K1 is pretty much guarantees a 2 year GC unless the AoS adjudication takes inordinately long. Some couples adjust from other statuses and get the 10 year GC because they've already been married more than 2 years by the time the AoS is approved.)

Ooooooh I thought it was different with consular processing 🤔 nice to know 

They generally don't make mistakes like this. I know this has been asked 5 times, but OP, are you sure that at the time you entered the US (Jan 2017), you had not been married for 2 years? Date of marriage is the date you signed the paperwork to marry, not when the wedding occurred... just quadruple checking....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
13 hours ago, banteras said:

Processing for I-751 is 15 to 17 months. They are just on August 2017 filers for all service centers.

File like advised then wait for your extension letter which is now for 18 months (cuz it's taking that long). It's taking 4 to 8 weeks to get the letter after filing.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.