VALU

Get a Joint Sponsor even when income requirement is met?

12 posts in this topic

HELP! I have an interview  coming up early January 2019 in Dominican Republic.

I read somewhere from those who went for their interviews and they advice us to get a joint sponsor just in case, even when  income requirement has already been met and accepted by NVC. With the interview already scheduled, how do I decide if I should really get a joint sponsor to be on the safe side? My salary/gross income is roughly US$50,000 a year and our household size is 3 (son, husband/beneficiary and me).  Are they basing their AOS/income decision on current gross income per year/recent pay stabs or on the Total Income amount reported on the recent Tax returns?

I would prefer not to ask for a joint sponsor cos I know people don't like to have their financial business out there. But I also want to be on the safe side. Please advice. Thanks

Edited by VALU

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Current income and past income.The reason why they want tax return from last year+  evidence of current income because they want to see a stable income . If your income from last year+ current year is good, you don't need to worry.

1 hour ago, VALU said:

I read somewhere from those who went for their interviews and they advice us to get a joint sponsor just in case, even when  income requirement has already been met and accepted by NVC.

I believe you are referring tom the minimum income level for the I-864. There is no minimum level for the visa as that is a public charge decision made by the CO, not just minimums.

NVC only does a basic review of the I-864 to see if you meet the minimum.

With the interview already scheduled, how do I decide if I should really get a joint sponsor to be on the safe side? My salary/gross income is roughly US$50,000 a year and our household size is 3 (son, husband/beneficiary and me).  Are they basing their AOS/income decision on current gross income per year/recent pay stabs or on the Total Income amount reported on the recent Tax returns?

There's no way to know for certain what the CO will decide. They make a decision based on the totality of the circumstances.

It sounds like you're in good shape, but nobody knows your full set of financial circumstances except you. Does $50,000/year sound reasonable for you to live in your area with your family?

They look at current income first and foremost. For an employee, this is best evidenced by the pay stubs and employment letter. Tax returns can help show a stable source of income.

I would prefer not to ask for a joint sponsor cos I know people don't like to have their financial business out there. But I also want to be on the safe side. Please advice. Thanks

Option 1 is to try as-is. If it's not sufficient for some reason, you'll get a 221(g) requesting a joint sponsor. It's a slight delay, but nothing major.

Option 2 is to have an I-864 from a joint sponsor ready to present for the interview. Only present it if necessary.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

7 hours ago, H&T said:

Current income and past income.The reason why they want tax return from last year+  evidence of current income because they want to see a stable income . If your income from last year+ current year is good, you don't need to worry.

Thank you for your input. That's good to know. My income from last year was good as well.

7 hours ago, geowrian said:

I believe you are referring tom the minimum income level for the I-864. There is no minimum level for the visa as that is a public charge decision made by the CO, not just minimums.

NVC only does a basic review of the I-864 to see if you meet the minimum.

There's no way to know for certain what the CO will decide. They make a decision based on the totality of the circumstances.

It sounds like you're in good shape, but nobody knows your full set of financial circumstances except you. Does $50,000/year sound reasonable for you to live in your area with your family?

They look at current income first and foremost. For an employee, this is best evidenced by the pay stubs and employment letter. Tax returns can help show a stable source of income.

Option 1 is to try as-is. If it's not sufficient for some reason, you'll get a 221(g) requesting a joint sponsor. It's a slight delay, but nothing major.

Option 2 is to have an I-864 from a joint sponsor ready to present for the interview. Only present it if necessary.

Good point about area where one lives. I live in quite an expensive area, the DMV. I think my income is ok for the area and my income last year was ok too but I really can't afford to have any delays. I will try for your option 2 - to try and have a joint sponsor just in case they ask during interview. I will ask my cousin (only person I am comfortable asking) to complete one before the interview so I can go with it. If she agrees to do it, then all good. If she doesn't agree, I will just hope that they won't ask for a joint sponsor. Thanks again.

Another FOLLOW UP question: is the embassy less likely to think "public charge" when the beneficiary is male, and young, because men don't usually apply for public assistance. My husband (the beneficiary) is 28, strong and has a good work record, and he has no kids. I'm the one with a son.

Edited by VALU

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
1 hour ago, VALU said:

Another FOLLOW UP question: is the embassy less likely to think "public charge" when the beneficiary is male, and young, because men don't usually apply for public assistance. My husband (the beneficiary) is 28, strong and has a good work record, and he has no kids. I'm the one with a son.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/public-charge

47 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

I heard and read A LOT about that public charge proposal but it hasn't passed yet, has it? Is it in effect? I thought it was still just being discussed but not set in stone yet, as in no ruling has passed on it yet.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
12 minutes ago, VALU said:

I heard and read A LOT about that public charge proposal but it hasn't passed yet, has it? Is it in effect? I thought it was still just being discussed but not set in stone yet, as in no ruling has passed on it yet.

The link is the current rules.

1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

The link is the current rules.

Thank you. I was referring to something else that has one of my greencard holder friend freaking out. So thanks, this is helpful:

At a minimum, a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officer must consider the following factors when making a public charge determination:

• Family status
  • Assets
  • Resources
  • Financial status
  • Education and skills

7 hours ago, VALU said:

Good point about area where one lives. I live in quite an expensive area, the DMV. I think my income is ok for the area and my income last year was ok too but I really can't afford to have any delays. I will try for your option 2 - to try and have a joint sponsor just in case they ask during interview. I will ask my cousin (only person I am comfortable asking) to complete one before the interview so I can go with it. If she agrees to do it, then all good. If she doesn't agree, I will just hope that they won't ask for a joint sponsor. Thanks again.

Awesome. Good luck!

7 hours ago, VALU said:

The CO looks at a totality of the circumstances. A working-age individual who has worked in the past is much better - public charge-wise - than an elderly, retired parent.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, geowrian said:

Awesome. Good luck!

The CO looks at a totality of the circumstances. A working-age individual who has worked in the past is much better - public charge-wise - than an elderly, retired parent.

Got it and makes sense. Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.