Divergent

Divorce decree versus certificate

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi please I need help urgently. We have our CR1 interview coming up on the 17th and we have the certified copy of final decree of divorce from Texas, we don't have the divorce certificate 

This interview is at Lagos Embassy, does anyone know if the certified final decree of divorce will be accepted? If not, how can I get the divorce certificate, I searched Google and couldn't find anything for divorce certificate in Texas 

Thanks in anticipation 

final divorce decree is fine. 

~~moved to process and procedures from progress reports~~

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
1 hour ago, NikLR said:

final divorce decree is fine. 

~~moved to process and procedures from progress reports~~

1 hour ago, kris&me said:

it is what is given for the final divorce and when signed by a judge and clerk of the court 

there is no divorce certificate

Thank you both so much!! ❤

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

To be clear, what the document is called varies by State.  For some it is called "Decree Absolute".  Whatever is the final document issued as evidence the marriage is terminated, is what they are looking for.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
17 hours ago, pushbrk said:

To be clear, what the document is called varies by State.  For some it is called "Decree Absolute".  Whatever is the final document issued as evidence the marriage is terminated, is what they are looking for.

Thank you very much ❤

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

The document you need is stamped or sealed or certified by the court, has the judge’s signature, directly awards or declares a divorce between you and your ex, and in Texas often finalizes a lot of other issues.

It might be several pages.  It might be a LOT of pages.  I saw one that was like 25 pages long one time.  Depends on your case.  Either way - send the whole package over.

Other states settle everything then grant divorce on a one-page seperate document.        

A ? “certificate” ? I assume applies to a divorced immigrant not the USC.  If previously married they have to provide whatever legal documention is issued by their home country and it varies a lot.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 12/23/2018 at 8:26 AM, Divergent said:

Hi please I need help urgently. We have our CR1 interview coming up on the 17th and we have the certified copy of final decree of divorce from Texas, we don't have the divorce certificate 

This interview is at Lagos Embassy, does anyone know if the certified final decree of divorce will be accepted? If not, how can I get the divorce certificate, I searched Google and couldn't find anything for divorce certificate in Texas 

Thanks in anticipation 

I divorced in Texas from my 1st Nigerian husband. We submitted certified Divorce decree to USCIS and now hubby had a copy at interview (this was 2016). You will be fine with Decree. If it was submitted at USCIS they probably will not ask for it at interview. But better to have and not need right.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline
On 12/25/2018 at 3:32 PM, Nitas_man said:

The document you need is stamped or sealed or certified by the court, has the judge’s signature, directly awards or declares a divorce between you and your ex, and in Texas often finalizes a lot of other issues.

It might be several pages.  It might be a LOT of pages.  I saw one that was like 25 pages long one time.  Depends on your case.  Either way - send the whole package over.

Other states settle everything then grant divorce on a one-page seperate document.        

A ? “certificate” ? I assume applies to a divorced immigrant not the USC.  If previously married they have to provide whatever legal documention is issued by their home country and it varies a lot.

On 12/26/2018 at 7:47 PM, dwheels76 said:

I divorced in Texas from my 1st Nigerian husband. We submitted certified Divorce decree to USCIS and now hubby had a copy at interview (this was 2016). You will be fine with Decree. If it was submitted at USCIS they probably will not ask for it at interview. But better to have and not need right.

Sorry about the late response, thank you both so much ❤

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.