Phillipians

AOS filing once visa has expired

37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
8 hours ago, Phillipians said:

Seems you did not read my original post.. I can not file the paperwork, because my marriage certificate takes 6-8 weeks..hence the whole purpose behind this post

What myself and others are attempting to tell you is that the likelihood of your out-of-status period coming into USCIS's radar is extremely slim to none, and that once the paperwork is filed, any overstay is forgiven as per USCIS policy.  Yes, it's a bit of a limbo to be in temporarily, however your authorized stay after filing trumps that.  Don't get too stressed out about it---likely the actual time between being out of legal status and filing the paperwork is little.

Some people stay out of status for a year or more before filing their AOS----not the best idea, but it happens and is worse than the situation you find yourself in.

Unfortunately there is no work-around to sending the marriage certificate----all you can do at this point is wait until you get it.

Try not to bite the hands that feed you (as the saying goes)--most people are here to help you, if you want to receive it.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Three pages?  

As to wanting to file the AOS prior to the end of your 90 day authorized stay is admirable and recommended by most, you cannot submit it with a key required piece of evidence missing to get the clock running as USCIS is cracking down on those submissions with immediate denial, but of course they keep your money.  As others have said, coming on the radar of ICE is highly unlikely unless a crime is committed, so simply put, you have to wait for the marriage certificate.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

16 hours ago, Phillipians said:

but i would really rather not acrue illegal time in between visa expiry and filing.

As soon as you get married, your visa is no longer of any importance because you have already used it for its purpose which is to get married within 90 days from the day you arrived here in the States. 

No, you cannot provide any other document "in lieu" of your marriage certificate because that is one of the most vital parts of the AOS application. The only document that would prove you two are married and that it has been legally done and recorded to the database as a valid marriage is your marriage certificate. Providing anythings "in lieu" of the marriage certificate might merit you an RFE

I understand that you are worried about being deported.  But the thing is, so many people have already answered your question but you are not open-minded enough to understand what they're telling you. You only hear what you want to hear.

No, YOU WILL NOT BE DEPORTED JUST BECAUSE YOUR VISA HAS ALREADY 'EXPIRED'. You were able to get married within 90 days via the visa that you have. And you are going to file for your AOS soon. They will not deport you just because you were not able to file for AOS right away. 

IGNORE THE VISA EXPIRATION DATE. IT HAS NO VALUE ANYMORE SINCE YOU HAVE ALREADY USED IT AND IT HAS SERVED ITS PURPOSE AND YOU FOLLOWED THE 90 DAY RULE OF GETTING MARRIED. 

That's it.

K1 Visa Timeline (4 months / September 2016 to January 2017):

Timeline: Sept 23, 2016 (filing) to January 30, 2017 (visa on hand)
Our K1 Visa Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/04/21/k1-visa-process/

AOS Timeline (4 months / April 2017 to August 2017):

Timeline:  April 11, 2017 (filing) to August 28, 2017 (approved)

(September 14, 2017 - Greencard on Hand!  - late due to Hurricane Irma)
Our AOS Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2018/05/13/adjustment-of-status-greencard-application/

ROC Timeline (7 months / June 2019 to January 2020)

Timeline:  June 11, 2019 (filing) to January 29, 2020  (Card Mailed to Me)

Our ROC Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2019/06/07/removal-of-conditions-process/

N400 Timeline (3 months 3 weeks / August 7, 2020 -December 4, 2020)
August 7, 2020 - Filed Online

August 10, 2020 - NOA1 uploaded by USCIS in my account / Estimated Tiime of Completion updated as well (Feb 2021)

August 15, 2020 - Received NOA(hardcopy)

Sept 14, 2020 - Biometric Reuse

October 20, 2020 - Interview Has Been Scheduled

November 23, 2020 - Interview Date - Approved!

December 4, 2020 - OATH TAKING CEREMONY
Our N400 Process on our blog: https://happilyhaberlafter.wordpress.com/2020/08/08/filing-n400-path-to-citizenship/

I had a similar issue 5 years ago at an LA county courthouse. The time to receive the certificate was a firm in 6 weeks from the clerk, until I went on about all the things I needed to do (resign from work, have the certificate attested, etc) in order to join my husband overseas (and not for US immigration benefits).. She called the day after the ceremony and told me I could go pick up the certificate. So from 6 weeks it became 1 day. Did you clarify you are in the US with the K1? 

Edited by Efsis

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
23 hours ago, Phillipians said:

Dear all

My AOS packet is complete and ready to go. We are waiting on the marriage certificate because Los angeles county takes 6-8 weeks to record marriages 😑.

By the time i get round to sending my AOS pack, my k1 visa will have been expired. I understand that there is no actual time limit to filing the Aos, but i would really rather not acrue illegal time in between visa expiry and filing. Is there anything i can do? Could i send something in lieu of the certificate and bring the certificate to the interview with a cover letter?

In addition, has anyone had this experience with Los Angeles, and been able to get their certificate back sooner?

Our wedding was confidential.

Many thanks, Joseph

Our LA county certificate did not take the full 6 weeks. It was ready after two. You can call the Norfolk office with your marriage licence number to check whether it has been recorded yet.  If it has been recorded, it only takes a couple days to come in the mail. It might take just a little longer at this time of year due to the holidays. 

Edited by mnk

AOS from J-1
2/26/2018    I-130 / I-485 / I-765 / I-131 packet sent
3/12/2018    NOA1

4/02/2018    Biometrics
7/17/2018    EAD & AP approved
9/20/2018    Interview - Approved!

9/28/2018    Green card in hand

ROC
6/26/2020    I-751 packet sent

6/29/2020    Case received
7/03/2020    WAC case number

7/29/2020    Submitted SR for non-delivery of notice

8/04/2020    NOA1 notice date

8/13/2020    Received NOA1

1/06/2021    Case transferred to NBC

1/21/2021    Fingerprints applied - no bio appt

6/23/2021    Approved! - New card ordered

Naturalization
9/04/2022    N-400 submitted online

9/04/2022    NOA1 + Biometrics reused

11/8/2022    Interview scheduled

20 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

People are trying to help you but you are making a mountain out of mole hill. After the 90 day period of the K1 yes you can be deported. But is it likely? No, it is not likely to happen at all so don't worry about it at all. 

Once you actually file for AOS you will be fine. 

Next time i need life advice and not visa advice ill let you know

11 hours ago, TheSkywalkers said:

As soon as you get married, your visa is no longer of any importance because you have already used it for its purpose which is to get married within 90 days from the day you arrived here in the States. 

No, you cannot provide any other document "in lieu" of your marriage certificate because that is one of the most vital parts of the AOS application. The only document that would prove you two are married and that it has been legally done and recorded to the database as a valid marriage is your marriage certificate. Providing anythings "in lieu" of the marriage certificate might merit you an RFE

I understand that you are worried about being deported.  But the thing is, so many people have already answered your question but you are not open-minded enough to understand what they're telling you. You only hear what you want to hear.

No, YOU WILL NOT BE DEPORTED JUST BECAUSE YOUR VISA HAS ALREADY 'EXPIRED'. You were able to get married within 90 days via the visa that you have. And you are going to file for your AOS soon. They will not deport you just because you were not able to file for AOS right away. 

IGNORE THE VISA EXPIRATION DATE. IT HAS NO VALUE ANYMORE SINCE YOU HAVE ALREADY USED IT AND IT HAS SERVED ITS PURPOSE AND YOU FOLLOWED THE 90 DAY RULE OF GETTING MARRIED. 

That's it.

Great job on being *open minded* enough to judge someone's character through a website

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.