Jeanne Adil

DS5535 issues

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Morocco is one of the countries now very affected by this new form issued a few days after the interview by the embassy (to those from Fes and northern providences)

Recently woman from Fes and man from Nador City given emails to fill out the form and wait for a decision.

My questions are:

any info telling the USA that this is affective and undesirables have been kept out? otherwise does this actually work to protect us?

I have looked online and there is little information.

also,  if a person is denied as undesirable for information found out by the investigation of the ds5535 and social media, etc,   does immigration inform the USC not to persue any additional applicaitons for this beneficary and what was discovered? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have yet to see somebody post on here who was refused following security checks, now maybe the checks brought up non security issues which resulted in a refusal.

But then begs the question if it is likely someone who was refused would  post here.

The form has been around for a while, do not know how common its use has been in Morocco. Has for example been used in London.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't think anyone on this forum can answer those questions. Although the DS-5535 has been in use for over a year now, it's still an overall new step in the processing timeline, so I think it's still too early to say what kind of impact it has had on visa approvals or refusals. I think this is one of those things that USCIS won't publicly comment on unless they come up with a concrete way of processing it (either make it mandatory for everyone or clarify how and why certain applicants are chosen to submit the form). Right now it's still seemingly random if you will be selected to submit the DS-5535 or not. Sure, you have a greater chance of being asked for it if you are from Morocco, Pakistan, Egypt, ect, but other than that, we still have no actual evidence to prove that there are certain 'triggers' that lead to someone being selected. It has to be more than just based on a location. 

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

I don’t know about effectiveness but I do know from the below site giving outcomes on appeals that derogatory information discovered during investigation can be sent as part of the noir and noid to the petitioner as the appeal denial noted it had been sent 

https://www.uscis.gov/laws/admin-decisions

The one I was reading was a k1 petition denial, it said they found out the beneficiary was actually married and had a child. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Illiria said:

I don’t know about effectiveness but I do know from the below site giving outcomes on appeals that derogatory information discovered during investigation can be sent as part of the noir and noid to the petitioner as the appeal denial noted it had been sent 

https://www.uscis.gov/laws/admin-decisions

The one I was reading was a k1 petition denial, it said they found out the beneficiary was actually married and had a child. 

We have seen a few on here without that form. More likely that those might come up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

We have seen a few on here without that form. More likely that those might come up.

yeah   normal denials with an investigaiton but these people were not told to not reapply

the bene could say "separated" and convince the USC to reapply after getting a divorce as "in love "people can be stupid

really want to know if USCIS says "at times"   do not reapply for this person because of an investigation

Timeline
1 minute ago, adil-rafa said:

yeah   normal denials with an investigaiton but these people were not told to not reapply

the bene could say "separated" and convince the USC to reapply after getting a divorce as "in love "people can be stupid

really want to know if USCIS says "at times"   do not reapply for this person because of an investigation

I have never heard of them saying that under any circumstances.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I have never heard of them saying that under any circumstances.

ok   so if DS5535 is additional security and someone is refused visa as undersirable,   they can still be applied for again?

interesting

Timeline

Lots of people seem to apply and apply and apply, like applying to visit when they have no reasonable chance.

5 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

ok   so if DS5535 is additional security and someone is refused visa as undersirable,   they can still be applied for again?

interesting

Depending on the reason for refusal discovered, yes.

Edit: Well, one can always reapply so long as they have the money. But applications will keep having the same result unless the reason for refusal is addressed.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
2 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Depending on the reason for refusal discovered, yes.

Edit: Well, one can always reapply so long as they have the money. But applications will keep having the same result unless the reason for refusal is addressed.

But an honest threat to the US and Citizens if found can not be addressed ???????

i ask as this form is to find out about REAL undesirables and wonder if the additional security is helping or if it just ties HOmeland Security down with a lot of additional paperwork that is not needed

this form is for 15 years of back information of social media,  5 years of phone records and all siblings

a lot of investigation goes on after getting a ds5535 to fill out

do they hold it against someone if a family member is convicted of a crime?    

4 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

But an honest threat to the US and Citizens if found can not be addressed ???????

i ask as this form is to find out about REAL undesirables and wonder if the additional security is helping or if it just ties HOmeland Security down with a lot of additional paperwork that is not needed

this form is for 15 years of back information of social media,  5 years of phone records and all siblings

a lot of investigation goes on after getting a ds5535 to fill out

do they hold it against someone if a family member is convicted of a crime?    

If the reason for refusal turns out to be because they are a threat to the US, then overcoming that would be nearly impossible. If the reason was due to actual terrorist-related activities, then that is not waivable at all. So yeah, reapplying would be pointless.

if the reason was something else discovered in the process, then overcoming that may be possible.

A family member’s actions should not impact another’s case (unless they were involved in it somehow...even if not criminally so).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
15 minutes ago, geowrian said:

If the reason for refusal turns out to be because they are a threat to the US, then overcoming that would be nearly impossible. If the reason was due to actual terrorist-related activities, then that is not waivable at all. So yeah, reapplying would be pointless.

if the reason was something else discovered in the process, then overcoming that may be possible.

A family member’s actions should not impact another’s case (unless they were involved in it somehow...even if not criminally so).

Thanks

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Hobidyali said:

You say North of Morocco, Fes is Northwest of the country, does this apply to Northeastern cities as well?

nador city is way up in the northeast on the Mediterranean Sea

and he teaches English \

respectable job

Edited by adil-rafa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.