aalmonte

Car Insurance

19 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, I’m just going to start the AOS process for my husband. He overstay his visa. He came under the Visa waiver program,  I’m a USC, but I have a question it might sound stupid, about adding him to my  car insurance? How do I do that? He has a car but is not under his name since he doesn’t have a drivers lincense. Do I have to register his card under my name to be able to that? Thank You.

3 minutes ago, hoangthaihuy said:

How can he get a car insurance if he doesn't have a car? Lol

The question is more like, how does he have a car when he was no drivers license? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
15 minutes ago, aalmonte said:

Good afternoon, I’m just going to start the AOS process for my husband. He overstay his visa. He came under the Visa waiver program,  I’m a USC, but I have a question it might sound stupid, about adding him to my  car insurance? How do I do that? He has a car but is not under his name since he doesn’t have a drivers lincense. Do I have to register his card under my name to be able to that? Thank You.

This issue is mostly state related

But most states will not let you add someone to a car insurance without a driver's license OR a permit.

That doesn't make any sense insuring someone who does not have the ability to drive.

unfortunately, (also depending on the state), since he has overstayed, am not sure he qualifies for a permit either.

But once you file AOS, he might be able to use the NOA1 documents to get one (all state specific too).

Good luck!

Edited by emekus94

10 minutes ago, emekus94 said:

This issue is mostly state related

But most states will not let you add someone to a car insurance without a driver's license OR a permit.

That doesn't make any sense insuring someone who does not have the ability to drive.

unfortunately, (also depending on the state), since he has overstayed, am not sure he qualifies for a permit either.

But once you file AOS, he might be able to use the NOA1 documents to get one (all state specific too).

Good luck!

Thank You very much! I appreciate your detail answer. Hi 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
11 minutes ago, aalmonte said:

That’s true! Lol,  Thank You! I’m just confused, because he “has a car” just that is not under his name. And we were told we needed to have the car insurance together.

If his name is not in the title, it's not his car. 

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline
2 hours ago, aalmonte said:

Good afternoon. My wife also came on vwp and we just completed the aos process. 
It is impossible to add him on your insurance since he does not have a driver's license. But, if your purpose is to use it as an evidence for bona-fide nature of your marriage, you can add him to the TITLE.
We also purchased a car for her even though she cannot yet drive and does not/cannot have a drivers license yet. We registered the TITLE on her name and my name. We were not even asked for it at the interview and were approved on the spot after a few very basic questions. 
Good luck. 

Relax, this is not a race.

1 hour ago, MyJourney said:

It is impossible to add him on your insurance since he does not have a driver's license. But, if your purpose is to use it as an evidence for bona-fide nature of your marriage, you can add him to the TITLE.
We also purchased a car for her even though she cannot yet drive and does not/cannot have a drivers license yet. We registered the TITLE on her name and my name. We were not even asked for it at the interview and were approved on the spot after a few very basic questions. 
Good luck. 

Thanks you very much for your answer and for the idea of adding him to the title.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Moving Here and Your New Life, from AOS from W,S & T Visas- The OP is asking about adding a spouse to car insurance.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

13 hours ago, MyJourney said:

Good luck. 

That is actually incorrect, it depends on the insurance company

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

11 hours ago, aalmonte said:

Thanks you very much for your answer and for the idea of adding him to the title.

Depending on your state and the rules set by the Insurance Commission or whomever regulates insurance in your state will dictate what you need to do to add the person.

Me personally I keep my wife name off all my personal assets

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline
9 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

That is actually incorrect, it depends on the insurance company

How and for what purpose would you be "insuring" someone unless that person has the driving privileges? 

9 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

Me personally I keep my wife name off all my personal assets

That may be a good idea if you don't trust your wife and have doubts about your marriage in general. But, USCIS does not like approving half-a$$ marriages.
Even then, unless you have owned those things before marriage, your wife has a 50% share of your everything whether you add her name or not. 

Edited by MyJourney

Relax, this is not a race.

12 hours ago, MyJourney said:

How and for what purpose would you be "insuring" someone unless that person has the driving privileges? 

Because you insure the car not the driver of the car.

Who knows who may be driving a vehicle you own

12 hours ago, MyJourney said:

That may be a good idea if you don't trust your wife and have doubts about your marriage in general. But, USCIS does not like approving half-a$$ marriages.
Even then, unless you have owned those things before marriage, your wife has a 50% share of your everything whether you add her name or not. 

Not in Texas, property you owned before marriage is not considered half owned, just like inheritance, just don't comingle funds in a joint account and you are fine on cash assets as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.