Mesden

Questions Regarding EB2 Visa

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline
15 hours ago, Mesden said:

Basically, I know the requirements of the EB-2 and the National Interest Waiver, but I've never gone through this kind of undertaking before. I think if I do this myself, a Green Card Application would cost close to $1,000, whereas if I obtain legal aid on the matter, it would cost about $3800. I'm just trying to assess if the added cost is necessary or if it would be worthwhile to attempt to complete this process myself having no understanding of immigration law and policy.

Forget about NIW for an actor.

19 hours ago, Mesden said:

I'm looking to apply for a Visa, but I've never done something like this before and am thinking of getting some legal assistance. With the EB-2 Visa, I basically need to prove that I am an artist of exceptional ability, which I believe I can, but I probably need to understand the laws and policies of the United States, since simply stating, "I believe I am an artist of exceptional ability because..." probably isn't enough and will likely cause my application to be rejected.

Is it more worthwhile to obtain legal assistance for this kind of matter if I have no understanding of immigration laws and policies? Or should I take a shot in the dark and try doing it myself? What are the benefits of obtaining legal aid in this case versus trying to do this myself?

Googling instantly brings you the official page on the visa you are considering, which gives you guidelines clearly indicating that the sentence in bold certainly isn’t enough. In fact it clearly gives you criteria to meet https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-second-preference-eb-2

DIY means you should at least have found this yourself, surely? Where exactly have you got your information on EB2 so far?

where I come from, we have a saying that translates as “cheap is expensive”. That was what came to mind reading through this thread and your intention to try undertake a complex visa application on your own.

separately, I’m only aware of actors coming in on O1. That’s not to say it’s never happened on EB2, but it certainly would be unusual to say the least. I agree with others NIW in your case seems a stretch, I’d think you’re unlikely to be able to meet “national interest waivers are usually granted to those who have exceptional ability (see above) and whose employment in the United States would greatly benefit the nation” if you can’t show that you even have national recognition in your own country?!

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Timeline
20 hours ago, Mesden said:

I'm looking to apply for a Visa, but I've never done something like this before and am thinking of getting some legal assistance. With the EB-2 Visa, I basically need to prove that I am an artist of exceptional ability, which I believe I can, but I probably need to understand the laws and policies of the United States, since simply stating, "I believe I am an artist of exceptional ability because..." probably isn't enough and will likely cause my application to be rejected.

Is it more worthwhile to obtain legal assistance for this kind of matter if I have no understanding of immigration laws and policies? Or should I take a shot in the dark and try doing it myself? What are the benefits of obtaining legal aid in this case versus trying to do this myself?

This generally would indicate O-1 qualifications as well.

GET AN ATTORNEY.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
19 hours ago, Mesden said:

Basically, I know the requirements of the EB-2 and the National Interest Waiver, but I've never gone through this kind of undertaking before. I think if I do this myself, a Green Card Application would cost close to $1,000, whereas if I obtain legal aid on the matter, it would cost about $3800. I'm just trying to assess if the added cost is necessary or if it would be worthwhile to attempt to complete this process myself having no understanding of immigration law and policy.

No.  Get an attorney.

As worthwhile as it would be for you to attempt to self-diagnose an illness and determine a course of treatment for yourself without having no understanding of medicine.  

• 4 months later...
Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 12/2/2018 at 11:18 PM, IJJ said:

EB2 is more relaxed than O1? How? 

I always think EB 1/2 are the most stringent than O visa.

On 12/3/2018 at 1:33 AM, Mesden said:

Looking at the requirements for O1 it looks like you would have to be an internationally recognized figure with an advanced degree from University

Hi Mesden,

Did you get this information from a lawyer, from experience, or is it an opinion? I have o1a and want to do niw, but i am worried that i wouldn't qualify, especially before i publish something in English.

I very much look forward to hearing from you and ijj on this matter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.