1,198 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi everyone! We filed our I-751 on December 7th, almost 2 months prior to GC expiration date of Feb 4. We received only a text NOA. When no paper NOA was received, we called the service center and the guy informed us a letter had in fact been sent to us, and after verifying our address in the system, he said that he would send it out again. He also said my husband had been given an 18-month extension. We never received the letter (either of them). As 7 weeks have now passed since we sent out our (huge) packet of I-751 and supporting documentation, on December 7th and the GC expires in 11 days, we decided to go into our local USCIS application support center. The very nice lady behind the counter told us she couldn't see where they had ever sent us a letter. But because the GC was soon expiring, she told us to go down the street to Walgreen's and get a passport photo, which she affixed to a hand-written extension of 90 days. Had my husband had his passport with him, she said she would have stamped the extension in the passport.

While we are certainly grateful for the 90 day extension, we are very concerned as to why we have not received the hard copy mailed NOA1 and the extension letter. Could the agency be this messed up? At this point, we are growing concerned that we may have missed an appointment letter or biometrics...are we to believe the lady at our local office or the guy at the service center?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! And best of luck to you all on your own personal journeys :)

Removal of Conditions

12/01/18....I-751 mailed to Texas lockbox

12/05/18....Package received by USCIS

12/10/18....NOA1 text message received with receipt number

01/24/19....Went in to local office. Received 90-day extension letter.

01/24/19....Rep at local office submitted e-Request for non-delivery of extension letter on our behalf.

01/24/19....received response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/25/19....Created online account. Entered receipt number on myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/. "Case received. Nothing to do at this time."

01/25/19....Signed up for USPS informed delivery.

01/28/19....Received by mail NOA 1 giving 18-month extension.

20 minutes ago, abhatia315 said:

Well, I was waiting for Bio metrics and i called USCIS lat week, figured out they ended up using bio-metrics from my previous application. My application receipt starts with LIN. I was wondering if that has happened to anybody else as well? 

Oh! I should probably call them tomorrow and check as well.

17 hours ago, Evetorres28 said:

If your green card has not expired you can not ask for an appointment to stamp passport, it is recommended that you only make the appointment for a week before the green card expires, I have not received the case  letter received , the only thing I received was letter for the fingerprints appointment, I am also waiting for my extension, because my GC expires in February and I need it in my work. tomorrow I will call again to see what they tell me

Have you started a new job or are you continuing in your same job? I'm pretty sure employers are not supposed/allowed to re-verify green cards, even conditional green cards when it's approaching their expiration dates for I9 purposes. That is provided you showed them your green card previously. It clearly says this in USCIS website. It's only when you start a new job that you employers should ask again for a green card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey guys

Sent our packet off over a month ago, received a text early January stating it was recieved but no paper NOA as of yet. GC expires in 10 days. So we are going to book an infopass, no appointments in our area is it an issue to book an appointment in a city a state over as that's the closest with an appointment available?

Thanks guys 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, benkat9596 said:

Hey guys

Sent our packet off over a month ago, received a text early January stating it was recieved but no paper NOA as of yet. GC expires in 10 days. So we are going to book an infopass, no appointments in our area is it an issue to book an appointment in a city a state over as that's the closest with an appointment available?

Thanks guys 

I'm not sure on the out of state appointment, but we just came from our local service center today and got an immediate 90 day extension letter.

We filed our I-751 on December 7th, almost 2 months prior to GC expiration date of Feb 4. We received only a text NOA. When no paper NOA was received, we called the service center and the guy informed us a letter had in fact been sent to us, and after verifying our address in the system, he said that he would send it out again. He also said my husband had been given an 18-month extension. We never received the letter (either of them). As 7 weeks have now passed since we sent out our (huge) packet of I-751 and supporting documentation, on December 7th and the GC expires in 11 days, we decided to go into our local USCIS application support center. The very nice lady behind the counter told us she couldn't see where they had ever sent us a letter. But because the GC was soon expiring, she told us to go down the street to Walgreen's and get a passport photo, which she affixed to a hand-written extension of 90 days. Had my husband had his passport with him, she said she would have stamped the extension in the passport. 

Removal of Conditions

01/24/19....Rep at local office submitted e-Request for non-delivery of extension letter on our behalf.

01/24/19....received response to e-Request via e-mail, which says: "Please allow 30 days from the date of this correspondence for the notice to be sent".

01/25/19....Created online account. Entered receipt number on myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/. "Case received. Nothing to do at this time."

Timeline
6 hours ago, Kiolas said:

I submitted e-Request for non-delivery on 01/12/2019 and today received a response to wait 30 days for NOA.

Hi,

We are in a similar situation, only received a text NOA from our 751 submitted the first week of December. My husband's GC expires in 11 days so we made an appt at our local USCIS center and they gave us a 90 day extension letter.

Removal of Conditions

6 minutes ago, Sanjay & Laura said:

Hi,

We are in a similar situation, only received a text NOA from our 751 submitted the first week of December. My husband's GC expires in 11 days so we made an appt at our local USCIS center and they gave us a 90 day extension letter.

Why 90 days??? Then after that you have to come back for another 90 days? They should have just stamp your passport

Timeline
1 minute ago, Thanhnguyen said:

Why 90 days??? Then after that you have to come back for another 90 days? They should have just stamp your passport

That's a good question and we are thinking the same thing: Why 90 days? I guess it's because the rep at the local center doesn't really know if we submitted enough documents to "prove" bonafide relationship, etc. So that's all they are willing to give probably. Unfortunately, it's not gonna get us thru. We've already talked about scheduling our next appointment to extend it, cuz the appointments available are weeks in advance...messed up :(

Removal of Conditions

9 minutes ago, Sanjay & Laura said:

That's a good question and we are thinking the same thing: Why 90 days? I guess it's because the rep at the local center doesn't really know if we submitted enough documents to "prove" bonafide relationship, etc. So that's all they are willing to give probably. Unfortunately, it's not gonna get us thru. We've already talked about scheduling our next appointment to extend it, cuz the appointments available are weeks in advance...messed up :(

I have infopass appointment and it’s 2 weeks in advance,  which mean 1 week before my expiration day. Also I need to travel out of country so this system is really mess up when they give you 90days >< 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Sanjay & Laura said:

As I understood your husband didn't have his passport with him. Maybe that's why he was granted only 90 days extension ..Not sure, but probably an extension (I-551),  stamped in the Form I-94 or any other hand-written forms, can be given only for a short time...? 

Probably,  had your husband had his passport with him, he would have been given I-551 stamp, valid for a year. 

But again - it's all up to IO at your local USCIS Office. They can give you the stamp for a month, 3 months, 6 months.... any other period up to a year.

P.S. I'm sorry you'd have to come back to get another I-551 if your Extension Letter doesn't arrive within those 90 days... 

Really hope all of you, guys, will have a smooth and "no-stress"  I-751 process! 

Edited by Ksenia_O

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
2 hours ago, kevinc said:

Have you started a new job or are you continuing in your same job? I'm pretty sure employers are not supposed/allowed to re-verify green cards, even conditional green cards when it's approaching their expiration dates for I9 purposes. That is provided you showed them your green card previously. It clearly says this in USCIS website. It's only when you start a new job that you employers should ask again for a green card.

No, I do not have a new job, I'm in the same

25 minutes ago, Evetorres28 said:

Ok, provided you showed your employer your green card previously as part of the I9 verification process, they should not be asking for it again even though it's about to expire. Your employer should only need to re-verify EADs when they expire. Below are excerpts from the USCIS website! To be fair most employers just don't know!

EMPLOYERS SHOULD NOT REVERIFY:
  • U.S. citizens and noncitizen nationals
  • Lawful permanent residents who presented a Form I-551, Permanent Resident or Alien Registration Receipt card for Section 2. This includes conditional residents.

Note: Reverification is never required for U.S. citizens and noncitizen nationals. Do not reverify the following documents after they expire: U.S. passports, U.S. passport cards, Alien Registration Receipt Cards/Permanent Resident Cards (Form I-551), and List B documents.

37 minutes ago, Evetorres28 said:

Sorry, one more thing, my favorite quote from USCIS in their guidance to employers handbook is 11.4 Avoiding Discrimination in Recruiting, Hiring, and the Form I-9 Process.....

Employers should not:

• Request that an employee who presented an unexpired Permanent Resident Card present a new document when the Permanent Resident Card expires.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Thanhnguyen said:

I have infopass appointment and it’s 2 weeks in advance,  which mean 1 week before my expiration day. Also I need to travel out of country so this system is really mess up when they give you 90days >< 

Couldn't agree more. Glad you are getting to the local office before GC expires.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

As I understood your husband didn't have his passport with him. Maybe that's why he was granted only 90 days extension ..Not sure, but probably an extension (I-551),  stamped in the Form I-94 or any other hand-written forms, can be given only for a short time...? 

Probably,  had your husband had his passport with him, he would have been given I-551 stamp, valid for a year. 

But again - it's all up to IO at your local USCIS Office. They can give you the stamp for a month, 3 months, 6 months.... any other period up to a year.

P.S. I'm sorry you'd have to come back to get another I-551 if your Extension Letter doesn't arrive within those 90 days... 

Really hope all of you, guys, will have a smooth and "no-stress"  I-751 process! 

Okay, that makes sense. This is quite a learning process. Thanks for responding!

Removal of Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.