Mike & Chai

Middle Name Problems

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone! Hopefully someone can help me. I am a Filipina under K1 visa and I have two first names which is Sharmaine Mari then my middle is my mom's last name and my last name is that of my dad's because that's how it is in the Philippines. But I know here in the US middle name is considered as the second first name so for my marriage certificate my husband and I agreed that we put my new name as.. 

First name: Sharmaine
Middle name: Mari
Last name: Miranda (husband's last name)

I haven't applied for my AOS yet but I already applied for my SSN and there I also put Mari as my middle name and my last name is my father's last name because I am still single when I applied for it. My question is will I have any problems renewing my passport back in the Philippines if I did my name like this? And on my AOS application, what format should I use? Lastly is it ok if we cannot file for the AOS right away even if my I-94 or visa duartion is already expired? Thank you so much to anyone who will answer. I would really appreciate it. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Can't specify as to any issues with the passport because of the name thing; but you don't have to change it you know. My husband has two first names also, we filed everything like that and had no problems.

Also, you can file for AOS anytime. Sooner the better really.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

not filing AOS puts you out of protected status once your i94 expires. its not really a big deal. unless of course, something happens and it BECOMES a big deal. odds are it wouldnt, but.....

filing sooner is highly recommended, but no, not a requirement.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Can't specify as to any issues with the passport because of the name thing; but you don't have to change it you know. My husband has two first names also, we filed everything like that and had no problems.

Also, you can file for AOS anytime. Sooner the better really.

Thank you for your answers. Is your husband also a Filipino? If so did he dropped his middle name (mom's last name) and his dad's last name on your marriage certificate too? And replace it with your last name? Or did he maintained either one of it as his middle name? I'm just really confuse and I don't wanna encounter any problems with my documents 🙈

Edited by Mike & Chai

Timeline
3 minutes ago, debbiedoo said:

not filing AOS puts you out of protected status once your i94 expires. its not really a big deal. unless of course, something happens and it BECOMES a big deal. odds are it wouldnt, but.....

filing sooner is highly recommended, but no, not a requirement.

Thank you so much. I feel relieved now cause my I-94 will expire tomorrow 😅

Timeline

I’m a Filipina, but I only have one name, so when I got married what was once my middle name, which is my moms middle name got dropped and my dads last name is now my middle name and my husbands last name as my last name. Just like what @ben&zian said you really didn’t have to change it you could have just put Sharmaine Mari ( your dad’s last name) Miranda. When you apply for your AOS use the new name you have on your marriage certificate.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

I’m a Filipina, but I only have one name, so when I got married what was once my middle name, which is my moms middle name got dropped and my dads last name is now my middle name and my husbands last name as my last name. Just like what @ben&zian said you really didn’t have to change it you could have just put Sharmaine Mari ( your dad’s last name) Miranda. When you apply for your AOS use the new name you have on your marriage certificate.

I know 😞 I only realized it now. But do you think if I renew my passport and have my name change I would encounter any problems? Thank you for answering. 

Timeline

Your Philippine passport you mean? No, when will your passport expire? You can renew your passport here, but before you do you need to do the report of marriage and there they will see that you did a name change based on your marriage certificate. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Mike & Chai said:

Thank you for your answers. Is your husband also a Filipino? If so did he dropped his middle name (mom's last name) and his dad's last name on your marriage certificate too? And replace it with your last name? Or did he maintained either one of it as his middle name? I'm just really confuse and I don't wanna encounter any problems with my documents 🙈

He maintained his full original name. We didn't change or add anything like my last name. We didn't feel it necessary, so he still just has legally "First First Middle Last"

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

He maintained his full original name. We didn't change or add anything like my last name. We didn't feel it necessary, so he still just has legally "First First Middle Last"

Oh ok. I understand now. Thank you so much for answering my questions ☺️

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Pengunista said:

Your Philippine passport you mean? No, when will your passport expire? You can renew your passport here, but before you do you need to do the report of marriage and there they will see that you did a name change based on your marriage certificate. 

Oh really? Wow i didn't know that. I thought that I have to go back to our country for that. But yeah i'm just gonna stick to using my second first name as my middle name here. There are some forums where I read that the USCIS doesn't allow that unless you are a US Citizen. That we should still stick to our original middle name that is indicated on our passports. It's really confusing 😞😞  Thank you so much for everything 😊 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to the PI forum, from K1 Progress Reports. - The K1 is done and the OP is asking about name change from country of birth.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

2 hours ago, Mike & Chai said:

Oh really? Wow i didn't know that. I thought that I have to go back to our country for that. But yeah i'm just gonna stick to using my second first name as my middle name here. There are some forums where I read that the USCIS doesn't allow that unless you are a US Citizen. That we should still stick to our original middle name that is indicated on our passports. It's really confusing 😞😞  Thank you so much for everything 😊 

The US does allow it if you start using it right after you get married. So you can start by getting a SSN in that name and then a license later on. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, Mike & Chai said:

Hello everyone! Hopefully someone can help me. I am a Filipina under K1 visa and I have two first names which is Sharmaine Mari then my middle is my mom's last name and my last name is that of my dad's because that's how it is in the Philippines. But I know here in the US middle name is considered as the second first name so for my marriage certificate my husband and I agreed that we put my new name as.. 

First name: Sharmaine
Middle name: Mari
Last name: Miranda (husband's last name)

I haven't applied for my AOS yet but I already applied for my SSN and there I also put Mari as my middle name and my last name is my father's last name because I am still single when I applied for it. My question is will I have any problems renewing my passport back in the Philippines if I did my name like this? And on my AOS application, what format should I use? Lastly is it ok if we cannot file for the AOS right away even if my I-94 or visa duartion is already expired? Thank you so much to anyone who will answer. I would really appreciate it. 

Have you completed Report of Marriage through the Philippine consulate yet?  That will be your first rock in the road as they will want to use Philippine traditional naming format.  Then later with DFA and renewing your passport in your married name, DFA will use traditional name format also.   So that would be a YES to having problems if think you can use your new non-traditional name for the Philippine  passport

No it shouldn't be a problem.  Technically you are out of status because the 90 days of the I-94 expired and you are still in the USA without adjusting status.   But reality is the moment you file the I-485 all is forgiven .. ;)  :)  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

Have you completed Report of Marriage through the Philippine consulate yet?  That will be your first rock in the road as they will want to use Philippine traditional naming format.  Then later with DFA and renewing your passport in your married name, DFA will use traditional name format also.   So that would be a YES to having problems if think you can use your new non-traditional name for the Philippine  passport

No it shouldn't be a problem.  Technically you are out of status because the 90 days of the I-94 expired and you are still in the USA without adjusting status.   But reality is the moment you file the I-485 all is forgiven .. ;)  :)  

Omg really?? Wow now that is what i'm worried about. Do you think there's some other way we can fix that problem with my name? Thank you. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.