fromphtousa.com

The Harsh Realities I've Realized from Being a Working Filipino in America

6 posts in this topic

[Note to Admin: Wasn't sure where to post this: in here or in the Finding Work section.]

After a year of being the US and trying out various gigs, I wrote about my realizations about being a Filipino struggling to find work in the US. You can read it here:

I posted this on reddit and Filipinos/ American called me whiny because I'm so fortunate on being where I am yet it sounded like I'm complaining. I know I'm not alone in feeling whatever I wrote in my post because I'm part of Filipina immigrants' Facebook groups and they also voice out the same struggles there.

Just wanted to let this out for some relief and for another Filipino who may read this and have the same situation to know that they're not alone.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From one writer to another, it does come across as very whiny.

And while I can not relate to being an immigrant, you are comparing apples and oranges in comparing the US and Philippines (or any country, with the exception perhaps of Canada and England and a few select others, where language, standards of living and education/incomes are somewhat similar). In a field as critical to a company as marketing, US employers HAVE to know your background and be able to compare their needs to your skill level. No, they are not going to super analyze your application, because they have a stack of others with schools and companies the recognize. They will not take a chance on someone that they have any doubts about. It is what it is, and having worked in HR for many years, I would not, either. I have to place the company and its needs and its success above ALL else. As does every other HR professional out there.

And I will give a tip, having owned a resume writing service for many years. Competition in marketing is TOUGH. Everyone thinks they can do it, and few can do it successfully. Make sure your resume is CUSTOM TAILORED to EACH AND EVERY job you apply for. Show examples in your previous work and don't list job duties. Make sure you address all (or as many as possible) of their required and 'wish list' items with verifiable proof on your resume that you have done it, and successfully. Include metrics. Marketing is sales, and numbers are king.

i 485, 130, EAD and AP

04/09/2019    NOA1 received/check cashed i 485 and 130 (direct adjustment)

11/7/2019      Interview- Norfolk

11/10/2019    APPROVED (notification rec'd 11/10, approval dated 11/8)

DONE FOR TWO YEARS!!! ;)

Filed everything ourselves with no RFE's or delays.

CR1 for Child under 21 (20 at time of filing)- Filed by LPR Spouse for his son

4/4/20     Mailed packet

4/12/20   NOA1 rec'd

10/14/21 (havent heard anything... when do i start to get worried?)

9/15/22 APPROVED! Now to wait for NVC and interview....

ROC

10/14/21 Mailed to AZ PO Box. Let the waiting begin. Again.

10/16/21 Received at PO Box

10/19/21 Received Text NOA1

10/23/21 Received Mailed NOA1

5 hours ago, fromphtousa.com said:

[Note to Admin: Wasn't sure where to post this: in here or in the Finding Work section.]

After a year of being the US and trying out various gigs, I wrote about my realizations about being a Filipino struggling to find work in the US. You can read it here:

I posted this on reddit and Filipinos/ American called me whiny because I'm so fortunate on being where I am yet it sounded like I'm complaining. I know I'm not alone in feeling whatever I wrote in my post because I'm part of Filipina immigrants' Facebook groups and they also voice out the same struggles there.

Just wanted to let this out for some relief and for another Filipino who may read this and have the same situation to know that they're not alone.

Thanks for posting this here. I saw this on Reddit and when I went back to read it then it was gone. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think you have such unrealistic expectations and you also seem very immature. I don't say that to be condescending or to dismiss your struggles. Your observations aren't new. So much stuff have been written about it. You probably know that already and should have adjusted your expectations. What you experienced was not a unique Filipino immigrant experience. A Cebu native who moves to Manila will experience the same. OFWs in the Middle East also complain that they are accused of "Nakapag-abroad lang, kala mo kung sino na. (You just got to work abroad and you think you're some big shot now)."  

Also, Marketing graduates in the Philippines also have a hard time getting marketing jobs because it's such an oversaturated industry. I think you overestimated your chances of landing a marketing job here in the US because in the Philippines you had such a shiny resume having graduated from a top Philippine University. Sucks that your University name doesn't make your resume so shiny here in the US now (eyeroll)?

I actually saw your Reddit post and people there weren't inaccurate calling you whiny because you do sound so whiny and honestly VERY entitled. 

I also don't understand this expectation from fellow Filipinos abroad to be friendly and accommodating to other fellow Filipinos, labeling some snobbish and elitist. #### that noise! What if they've always been that way even before moving to the US? Also, isn't that ironic? Sounds to me that you have the same mentality as the people who say ”Nakapag-abroad lang, kala mo kung sino na. (You just got to work abroad and you think you're some big shot now)."

27 minutes ago, notantifun said:

I think you have such unrealistic expectations and you also seem very immature. I don't say that to be condescending or to dismiss your struggles. Your observations aren't new. So much stuff have been written about it. You probably know that already and should have adjusted your expectations. What you experienced was not a unique Filipino immigrant experience. A Cebu native who moves to Manila will experience the same. OFWs in the Middle East also complain that they are accused of "Nakapag-abroad lang, kala mo kung sino na. (You just got to work abroad and you think you're some big shot now)."  

Also, Marketing graduates in the Philippines also have a hard time getting marketing jobs because it's such an oversaturated industry. I think you overestimated your chances of landing a marketing job here in the US because in the Philippines you had such a shiny resume having graduated from a top Philippine University. Sucks that your University name doesn't make your resume so shiny here in the US now (eyeroll)?

I actually saw your Reddit post and people there weren't inaccurate calling you whiny because you do sound so whiny and honestly VERY entitled. 

I also don't understand this expectation from fellow Filipinos abroad to be friendly and accommodating to other fellow Filipinos, labeling some snobbish and elitist. #### that noise! What if they've always been that way even before moving to the US? Also, isn't that ironic? Sounds to me that you have the same mentality as the people who say ”Nakapag-abroad lang, kala mo kung sino na. (You just got to work abroad and you think you're some big shot now)."

very well said

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.