JAMROCKJNJ

Is it possible to bring husbands child but not mine to US

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Going through said:

Not unheard of, but doing it the way you're thinking can lead to so many legal complications for you in the long-run, not to mention the already present immigration complications for your husband.

If you plan on going outside a reputable agency, your safest bet immigration-wise is for your husband to become a US citizen first.  

The risks surrounding the non-legal "agreement" between you, your husband and the other woman still remain, of course---your safest bet is a legal adoption.

Thank you

5 minutes ago, Ontarkie said:

It's not an easy choice to have to make. Just take your time make sure 100% everything is done according to the laws of the US and the country you pick. 

There has been more then one story in recent years that couples have gone this route only to find out that they cannot bring their child to the US. 

Thank you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

@JAMROCKJNJ May God bless you with all what your heart desires, all the best momma! 😐

Citizenship
Event Date
Service Center : Online
CIS Office : Raleigh NC
Date Filed : 2020-10-03
NOA Date : 2020-10-03
Bio. Appt. :  
Interview Date :  
Approved :  
Oath Ceremony :  
Comments : INA 328 and 329 [ Military ] 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, kemm360 said:

@JAMROCKJNJ May God bless you with all what your heart desires, all the best momma! 😐

Thank you so much.😔❤️

I think it would be better for you to try and wrap your head about raising a child with you as the mother, not the surrogate.  You keep referring to the surrogate as the child's mother but you would be, after all you would be the one raising the baby to adulthood.  This isn't just your husband's child, this should be both of your child regardless of whose dna resides. 

You will be very emotionally invested, just as you are with your other child. I wouldn't want you to have the legal and emotional struggles that come with that if someone else retained rights to a baby you have lovedand raised.  Protect yourself and your family.  

Im sorry that having another baby has been such an emotional and difficult struggle for you.  I wish you the very best! 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Thank you all for your input. I refer to the child’s mother because if there were no official adoption or surrogacy papers drawn, the child would still legally be the mother’s. But yes we would raise the child. I guess we thought it could maybe be a simple process such as him having the child and the mother giving permission for us to bring the child and we would raise it. Same as if he had a child before we were married and we filed to bring his child over. I just wasn’t sure if immigration would question why he had a child after we were married and if immigration-wise it would be harder to bring the child because of that, even if the mother gave permission. I’m sure it would be easier to have someone here but maybe less complicated emotionally. But through this conversation with you all I have a better understanding of the legal impact and protecting ourselves. Thank you all!

1 hour ago, JAMROCKJNJ said:

Thank you all for your input. I refer to the child’s mother because if there were no official adoption or surrogacy papers drawn, the child would still legally be the mother’s. But yes we would raise the child.

Honestly, this is just asking for HUGE troubles.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Roel said:

Honestly, this is just asking for HUGE troubles.

Yes I’m getting a better grip on the legal ramifications and I would have no rights. I know people will say one thing and do another...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/22/2018 at 7:57 AM, JAMROCKJNJ said:

But yes we would raise the child. I guess we thought it could maybe be a simple process such as him having the child and the mother giving permission for us to bring the child and we would raise it. Same as if he had a child before we were married and we filed to bring his child over.

If he'd had a child from another woman and then wanted that child to immigrate to the States permanently, USCIS would require legal judicial orders regarding the child being able to come across, and showing the father had legal physical custody.  Even in those cases, it's not as simple as the mother just  "giving permission"....the father would need legal backing.  

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Going through said:

If he'd had a child from another woman and then wanted that child to immigrate to the States permanently, USCIS would require legal judicial orders regarding the child being able to come across, and showing the father had legal physical custody.  Even in those cases, it's not as simple as the mother just  "giving permission"....the father would need legal backing.  

Ok thank you. I didn’t mention he’s from Jamaica. I didn’t know if USCIS would frown upon it thinking maybe he had someone back home already. Nothing like that, we’ve been together 6 years. So we’re not just looking at any random country. He’s also more comfortable with maybe it being someone from his country. Maybe someone locally or from the community. But we don’t have particular person in mind or any set plans. It was just an idea we thought about. Your comment makes perfect sense. Thank you.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.