FOSSLGRL

Question about Canadian going to Canada from the US

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
28 minutes ago, TM92 said:

Was your EAD/AP card issued for 2 years? Or you renewed it?

Both are active, renewed earlier in the year.

Timeline

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I decided that I am just going to book the trip now and have the Canadian consulate issue me a travel document. I am just going to be paranoid until I get there otherwise. Passport will be renewed when I'm in Canada for my return trip.

Timeline

As a Canadian citizen, you CAN cross into Canada via a land border with your birth certificate and some form of photo identification. I did it two years ago.

The requirement for a passport for flying is actually because of the FAA, not a Canadian requirement. At least, that's what the Air Canada representative told me when I was crying in front of him at LAX with a copy of my TN application (including a photocopy of my missing passport). Long story and a longer travel day, but their customer service people finally got me on flights that got me across the border. 

Edited by rachem

5 minutes ago, rachem said:

The requirement for a passport for flying is actually because of the FAA, not a Canadian requirement. At least, that's what the Air Canada representative told me when I was crying in front of him at LAX with a copy of my TN application (including a photocopy of my missing passport). Long story and a longer travel day, but their customer service people finally got me on flights that got me across the border. 

To expand on this, the requirement is not just the FAA but part of various agreements. Generally, if one is denied entry and the airline did not properly ensure that they have a valid travel document, the airline is on the hook. As such, the airline has a responsibility and incentive to verify that a valid travel document is held beforehand (not necessarily a passport, but that is the most common one).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can cross into Canada with a Canadian birth certificate or Canadian Proof of Citizenship Certificate and another piece of ID, so long as you are traveling by either car, bus or train.  The supporting ID can be either American or Canadian.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just have to go through this,

the passport program advd me I cannot go to Canada without my Candian passport,

for the gauranteer paper you would have to

1) take 2 passport photos were you have to have the guaranter sign the back of one and the place were you got them has to write there name n the day you did them

2) provide authentic copy of BC but if you were born outside of Canada to show a copy of your authentic Canadian citizenship certificate

3) 2 forms of ID which has to have your signature on the front or back (1 can be drivers licence, other can be your health card) and the gauranteer has to sign those scans you did of those

4) pay the fee of the years you want of your passport

if there is anymore questions you need let me know

thank you

Citizenship Journey:

K-1 Visa - Citizenship: 04/14/2015 - 09/20/22

7 Years 5 Months 0 Weeks 6 Days 10 Hours 30 Minutes 0 Seconds

US Passport Journey: (Expedited) 

USPS Passport Appointment: September 29th, 2022

Passport Office Received Documents: October 3rd, 2022

Passport Application Approved: October 19th, 2022

Passport Received: October 21st, 2022

FULL JOURNEY ADVENTURE:

https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=215312

DECEMBER 2022 N400 FILERS: (Update To Help Your Fellow Filers)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11xHTs0yLIeoAXIW-O5iYOvRRvbriVgu7JVw8xQq8QDw/edit#gid=0

4 hours ago, FOSSLGRL said:

Here's my situation. I am Canadian and my passport has expired. You don't need my life story but we had some hardships and I haven't had the money to renew it until now, which is why I didn't do it sooner.

The problem is I am going to Canada for Christmas and I don't know if it would arrive on time, plus I would still have to mail my paperwork to my guarantor to sign.

Am I able to cross into Canada by land without my passport? I know I'll need it coming back, and I plan to get it once I am up there since I'll be seeing my guarantor anyways during this trip.

What ID/documents will I need?

You do not need a passport to cross the border by land (into Canada that is).. Just cross over with your expired passport and your birth certificate if you have it available.. You enter Canada by right, they should not be giving you any trouble.

You will, however, need WHTI compliant documents to re-enter the United States.

You DO however, need a passport if you are going to fly into Canada..

Edited by cantofla

- Removal of Conditions Timeline -

07/31/17 - Mailed I-751 package to California Service Center

08/01/17 - Package delivered to CSC

08/05/17 - NOA1 received by US mail

08/10/18 - Rec'd new NOA1 with 18 month extension instead of 12 months

10/15/18 - Case transferred to Nebraska

12/26/18 - ROC Approved

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
11 minutes ago, FOSSLGRL said:

not the French people in Canada who kept talking over me and not give me clear information.

2ro5jcx.jpg:jest:

12 minutes ago, FOSSLGRL said:

And omg, this is off topic but just now I got a notice in the mail about my GC interview in a few weeks. Excuse me while I go bounce around the house in excitement... 😅

Congrats!🎉🎉🎉

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

9 hours ago, FOSSLGRL said:

This might be a stupid question, but does crossing by train count as "by land"?

Yes. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Also just as a note, there is a in lieu of guarantor for those of us residing in the USA.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

7 hours ago, rachem said:

As a Canadian citizen, you CAN cross into Canada via a land border with your birth certificate and some form of photo identification. I did it two years ago.

Doesnt have a thing to do with the FAA.  Hubs works for the FAA. :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, FOSSLGRL said:

Here's my situation. I am Canadian and my passport has expired. You don't need my life story but we had some hardships and I haven't had the money to renew it until now, which is why I didn't do it sooner.

The problem is I am going to Canada for Christmas and I don't know if it would arrive on time, plus I would still have to mail my paperwork to my guarantor to sign.

Am I able to cross into Canada by land without my passport? I know I'll need it coming back, and I plan to get it once I am up there since I'll be seeing my guarantor anyways during this trip.

What ID/documents will I need?

To cross by land you only need proof of citizenship. So BC and DL .  Also, you can renew your passport from the US, check this link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/renew-adult-passport/how.html

19 hours ago, FOSSLGRL said:

Or I can just book the damn train now and then the consulate can issue some kind of entry document. Maybe I'll do that just to play it safe.

this .. be sure

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.