confusedinny

Records do not match to get SSN

21 posts in this topic

My fiancee applied for her SSN 3 weeks after entering the US, and after several weeks was contacted by the SSA, who said they were unable to issue the SSN because the information provided them does not match up with records from "immigration". We gave them all the same info as was used in the K1 visa application, birth certificate, I-94 etc. The Administration did not say what information did not match, they told us we need to contact "immigration" to resolve the differences. I have no idea who to contact or where to begin with this. Any ideas?

25 minutes ago, confusedinny said:

My fiancee applied for her SSN 3 weeks after entering the US, and after several weeks was contacted by the SSA, who said they were unable to issue the SSN because the information provided them does not match up with records from "immigration". We gave them all the same info as was used in the K1 visa application, birth certificate, I-94 etc. The Administration did not say what information did not match, they told us we need to contact "immigration" to resolve the differences. I have no idea who to contact or where to begin with this. Any ideas?

Did you look at the electronic I94 form? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Call USCIS and tell them the problem.

Then verify I-94 and Passport with them.

Make sure her address she is providing matches USCIS address??

After that, I'm at a lose and would ask USCIS to fax you a copy showing their records of that data so you can take it to SSA Office.

12 minutes ago, MikeMc said:

Call USCIS and tell them the problem.

Then verify I-94 and Passport with them.

Make sure her address she is providing matches USCIS address??

After that, I'm at a lose and would ask USCIS to fax you a copy showing their records of that data so you can take it to SSA Office.

I just remembered, from your post, that we used a different address (same ZIP) on the SSN application than the one she gave as her future US address at her K1 interview (we're renting). That might be the problem?

Edited by confusedinny

General customer support at USCIS won't be able to verify that type of information. A Tier 2 officer may or may not be able to do so.

That said, the issue would be with the SAVE system.

SSA is bound by their POM...a faxed document (I doubt they would even send anything like this, even by mail) is not acceptable proof according to the SSA's POM for verification of status. They need to verify status, which is done via SAVE (either instantly or manual verification).

Edit: As for what can be done:

1) Try a CBP deferred inspection site to verify or update records.

2) Wait until you have an EAD.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Issue with her SAVE database imo.  Often it combines first and middle names. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

9 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Issue with her SAVE database imo.  Often it combines first and middle names. 

She doesn't have a middle name. But it sounds like trying to verify that info will be a pain. We're thinking maybe trying to reapply for an SSN with the address she gave at the interview (I still get mail there) and see if it works.

4 minutes ago, confusedinny said:

She doesn't have a middle name. But it sounds like trying to verify that info will be a pain. We're thinking maybe trying to reapply for an SSN with the address she gave at the interview (I still get mail there) and see if it works.

It's not hard to fix the SAVE db. For me, in CO, I went to the dept of revenue and it was fixed in a month.  Well it was actually fixed in a few days but it took a month to reach the DMV.  Check online for your state or call the USCIS. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If it's a SAVE issue, then why can't he go here?

USCIS Verification Programs Contact Center: 1-888-464-4218

Or here and do it online to verify that all records match?

https://www.uscis.gov/save/about-save/verification-process

I know it's mainly for Students, but one of the required docs is the I-94, which he will have.

Is this possible?

1 hour ago, MikeMc said:

If it's a SAVE issue, then why can't he go here?

USCIS Verification Programs Contact Center: 1-888-464-4218

Or here and do it online to verify that all records match?

https://www.uscis.gov/save/about-save/verification-process

I know it's mainly for Students, but one of the required docs is the I-94, which he will have.

Is this possible?

That link is for agency access. That's what groups like the SSA and DMV utilize.

I'd actually suggest the CaseCheck to see the status of the current submission and see if it has more info.

https://www.uscis.gov/save/casecheck

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

~~moved to SSN from k1 process and procedures.  Topic is about ssn not K1 process. ~~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So weird after waiting 3 weeks for USCIS to respond to Social Security for manual verification on my husbands application we get a message from the SS office saying that USCIS informed them my husband is authorized to work and needs to bring in his EAD card. HUH??? He is K1 and we did not file AOS yet.

2 minutes ago, Jenny17655 said:

So weird after waiting 3 weeks for USCIS to respond to Social Security for manual verification on my husbands application we get a message from the SS office saying that USCIS informed them my husband is authorized to work and needs to bring in his EAD card. HUH??? He is K1 and we did not file AOS yet.

K-1 visa holders - while still in status - are considered authorized to work. But they need an EAD in order to do so. A K-1 visa holder is permitted to file for an EAD, but it expires at the end of their original 90 days, so it's pointless to even try nowadays.

tldr: Old info that doesn't apply to the case nowadays.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

K-1 visa holders - while still in status - are considered authorized to work. But they need an EAD in order to do so. A K-1 visa holder is permitted to file for an EAD, but it expires at the end of their original 90 days, so it's pointless to even try nowadays.

tldr: Old info that doesn't apply to the case nowadays.

I'm fed up so I'm thinking to just apply for it with I-765 when we file AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.