Hobidyali

Taxes Question

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

If I read @adil-rafa correctly, they are basically saying it is 3 to 4 months from NOA2 to interview.  If the timeline is correct you can expect an interview in May or June at the earliest.  Again, these are all just guesses.  You will have your 2018 taxes (which you can file as soon as you receive the W-2 from you work).  I always file in late January or early February.

I am going by current wait times

just scheduled a july NOA2  and several August 4 September that i know of

and i am not just talking about VJ members as many contact me from Morocco 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Just now, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Eh; that's a bit misleading as average processing times went way up in the first half of 2017, but have been relatively stable since then (some slight up and downward movement, more recently on a downward trend as -- thankfully for us -- May seems to be moving along nicely). I haven't seen anything anywhere on how VJ calculates their estimate, but I suspect it's just average reported processing time over the last six months or something close to that. So a majority will exceed the estimate if processing times are going up, and will beat it if processing times are going down almost by definition if that's what they're doing.

Starting next week everything will begin to slow down as it is the nature of the beast with all of the holidays 

YMMV

1 minute ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

Eh; that's a bit misleading as average processing times went way up in the first half of 2017, but have been relatively stable since then (some slight up and downward movement, more recently on a downward trend as -- thankfully for us -- May seems to be moving along nicely). I haven't seen anything anywhere on how VJ calculates their estimate, but I suspect it's just average reported processing time over the last six months or something close to that. So a majority will exceed the estimate if processing times are going up, and will beat it if processing times are going down almost by definition if that's what they're doing.

Yep.  I've even seen June filers getting NOA2.  CR-1s are getting quicker (also have June approvals) and K-1 seems to be slightly slower now.  We were right in the middle of the slowdown in 2017.  April was the big change of family to work visa priority.  Early April 2017 were seeing 3 months to NOA2, May and June went up to 8 to 10 months.  The numbers here are flawed because they rely on people updating their timelines.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

11 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

I am going by current wait times

just scheduled a july NOA2  and several August 4 September that i know of

and i am not just talking about VJ members as many contact me from Morocco 

It was more about how quickly the OP thought things would happen.  Things generally are not quick or easy dealing with immigration.  If the VJ timeline is correct AND he gets an interview in 2 months he is still looking at April so the 2018 taxes should be the latest no matter what.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

13 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Starting next week everything will begin to slow down as it is the nature of the beast with all of the holidays 

Another good point! 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Timeline
1 minute ago, John & Rose said:

Another good point! 

Thank you.  Many on this site think I'm full of it, and I don't mean good points

YMMV

Timeline

what we are seeing from Morocco (and this may not hold true in 2018 with the new ambassador,  is cc from NVC for a quarter can expect interview next quarter 

later the cc later the interview 

say late February cc ,  then late may interview

march NOA2 then june interview

this is almost consistent  now,  if anything   it would slow down as there seems to be  mass exodus from Morocco

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

The numbers here are flawed because they rely on people updating their timelines.  

Sorry for the stats thread-derailing, but I doubt that non-updating timelines matters much, unless you think the timelines of couples who don't update things are both very different than than those that do and very different in different ways than people who never create a profile here at all are (which seems improbable). And I don't think posters who do update their timeline systematically report incorrect information.

If all timelines were updated, we'd have data on something like 6% of cases. With 30% creating timelines and never updating them, we have data on something like 4%. Not really a big difference, and certainly not enough to turn a reasonably representative sample into a non-representative one.

The big problem with timelines is that they're a trailing indicator, but that's pretty much an unavoidable trade-off, I think.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

28 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

It was more about how quickly the OP thought things would happen.  Things generally are not quick or easy dealing with immigration.  If the VJ timeline is correct AND he gets an interview in 2 months he is still looking at April so the 2018 taxes should be the latest no matter what.  

Yes, even if on schedule he would still have his interview past April making the 2018 taxes the required documentation. Thanks so much for your help, greatly appreciated.

Timeline
48 minutes ago, payxibka said:

That assumes a simplistic filer.  I wasn't able to file my taxes until October 

but for immigration purposes he will need 2018 if interviews after the april deadline/  immigration doesn't go along with extensions

Timeline
Just now, adil-rafa said:

but for immigration purposes he will need 2018 if interviews after the april deadline/  immigration doesn't go along with extensions

Agreed but John's assumption was that all he needed was his w2's and wammo the return is done 

YMMV

Timeline
34 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Agreed but John's assumption was that all he needed was his w2's and wammo the return is done 

not for Morocco

it will cause long AP 

morocco resident has to show latest tax returns at the window before he/she even gets into the interview

and the OP in this case is Morocco

Edited by adil-rafa

Timeline
2 minutes ago, adil-rafa said:

not for Morocco

it will cause long AP 

morocco resident has to show latest tax returns at the window before he/she even gets into the interview

and the OP in this case is Morocco

What does the complexity of a us taxpayer's tax return have to do with Morocco.   My point was and still is some people's returns consist of more than just w2s

YMMV

Timeline
13 minutes ago, payxibka said:

What does the complexity of a us taxpayer's tax return have to do with Morocco.   My point was and still is some people's returns consist of more than just w2s

OP in this case is Moroccan case

and u don't get into interview without the current tax returns (2018 if interview is after april `5th)

u have to have them seen at the main window to go into the embassy

they don't say come in and we will tell u to get them later

casa does not just look at W2's

all returns consist of full tax returns not just a W2

Timeline
1 minute ago, adil-rafa said:

OP in this case is Moroccan case

and u don't get into interview without the current tax returns (2018 if interview is after april `5th)

u have to have them seen at the main window to go into the embassy

they don't say come in and we will tell u to get them later

casa does not just look at W2's

all returns consist of full tax returns not just a W2

Time to get off the Morocco train.   I was responding to John, not advising the OP

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.