Hobidyali

Taxes Question

31 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

Based on the date I filed for the K1, I should be receiving the NOA2 by February. My question is, if the interview is before April 15th but I already have my taxes filed, can I provide the 2018 taxes as proof? I ask this because I read a thread on here about something similar and am now confused. In 2017 I didn't work from Jan thru April so that year shows a significant reduction of earned income, fast forward to this year and I am back on track. At what point of this process are the taxes required and can I provide say for example 2017 and also send in 2018 as proof? Will my current income and what I made this year count more than what I made in 2017? I am worried.

I would really appreciate any responses as I am confused .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Hobidyali said:

Hello everyone,

Based on the date I filed for the K1, I should be receiving the NOA2 by February. My question is, if the interview is before April 15th but I already have my taxes filed, can I provide the 2018 taxes as proof? I ask this because I read a thread on here about something similar and am now confused. In 2017 I didn't work from Jan thru April so that year shows a significant reduction of earned income, fast forward to this year and I am back on track. At what point of this process are the taxes required and can I provide say for example 2017 and also send in 2018 as proof? Will my current income and what I made this year count more than what I made in 2017? I am worried.

I would really appreciate any responses as I am confused .

The most recent documentation is best.  If 2018 is prepared and filed the why not.  You will also need to demonstrate that the income is continuing in 2019 supported by recent paystub 

YMMV

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

The most recent documentation is best.  If 2018 is prepared and filed the why not.  You will also need to demonstrate that the income is continuing in 2019 supported by recent paystub 

Thank you, yes, I will have continuing income in 2019. My only concern is that in 2017 I didn't make as much because I took some months off. At what point in the process do I have to provide the taxes? During the interview or before then?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Hobidyali said:

Thank you, yes, I will have continuing income in 2019. My only concern is that in 2017 I didn't make as much because I took some months off. At what point in the process do I have to provide the taxes? During the interview or before then?

At the time of the Visa interview.   Current income is primary.   Taxes are secondary and simply indicate history 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

By the time of this interview 2018 will be required so i would do them asap and as  soon as IRS has completed the returns , get IRS transcript from nearest IRS office and send one to finance for the interview

morocco is backed up (now) and one K1 waited from july cc at NVC to December 1st week for interview (this one is very unusual)

but all from August and September cc at NVC are just getting interview dates

5 hours ago, Hobidyali said:

Hello everyone,

Based on the date I filed for the K1, I should be receiving the NOA2 by February.

Don't take the estimate here as anything more than it really is.  Some do meet that date but the vast majority exceed that estimate.  It is built on a small sample and a good part of that sample never comes back to update their timeline.  We were June 2017 filers and our estimate started out at a September 2017 approval.  It moved all the way to December 28 and started going back to early December 2017.  Those changes took place in 2018.  We were approved on late March of 2018 and our estimate when we were approved said we should be approved by December 7, 2017.  It was over three months past their estimate.

It may be good, I just dont want you to drive yourself crazy following a flawed estimated timeline.  It will happen when it happens.  I believe Morocco is also 2 to 3 months after NOA2 for the interview.  You will have your 2018 taxes by then.  There is also a lengthy AP due to the high fraud rate there.

Your current earnings are what they are interested in.  The past is not as important but can show some stability.  

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

14 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Don't take the estimate here as anything more than it really is.  Some do meet that date but the vast majority exceed that estimate.  It is built on a small sample and a good part of that sample never comes back to update their timeline.  We were June 2017 filers and our estimate started out at a September 2017 approval.  It moved all the way to December 28 and started going back to early December 2017.  Those changes took place in 2018.  We were approved on late March of 2018 and our estimate when we were approved said we should be approved by December 7, 2017.  It was over three months past their estimate.

It may be good, I just dont want you to drive yourself crazy following a flawed estimated timeline.  It will happen when it happens.  I believe Morocco is also 2 to 3 months after NOA2 for the interview.  You will have your 2018 taxes by then.  There is also a lengthy AP due to the high fraud rate there.

Your current earnings are what they are interested in.  The past is not as important but can show some stability.  

Thank you so much, this was actually  very very helpful,  and you are very correct. Thanks a million.

Just now, Hobidyali said:

Thank you so much, this was actually  very very helpful,  and you are very correct. Thanks a million.

It may not all be what you want to hear and even though I know the estimate isn't rock solid I still look everyday.  It is a tough habit to break.  I believe this time around I will not get as upset when the date is missed.  Focus on the relationship and not the process.  We don't need the extra stress.  Good luck to you!

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Just now, John & Rose said:

It may not all be what you want to hear and even though I know the estimate isn't rock solid I still look everyday.  It is a tough habit to break.  I believe this time around I will not get as upset when the date is missed.  Focus on the relationship and not the process.  We don't need the extra stress.  Good luck to you!

Agreed, my concern was the tax issue but it looks like everything will be fine and the 2018's are the ones that will be requested. Thanks alot.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Hobidyali said:

Does this affect the taxes issue? Im confused can you explain?

Not unless you get pushed into 2020

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Agreed, my concern was the tax issue but it looks like everything will be fine and the 2018's are the ones that will be requested. Thanks alot.

If I read @adil-rafa correctly, they are basically saying it is 3 to 4 months from NOA2 to interview.  If the timeline is correct you can expect an interview in May or June at the earliest.  Again, these are all just guesses.  You will have your 2018 taxes (which you can file as soon as you receive the W-2 from you work).  I always file in late January or early February.

Edited by John & Rose

IMG_5168.jpeg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Does this affect the taxes issue? Im confused can you explain?

because u say expect feb 2018 NOA2

that puts u at interview later than April 15th which means u would have to show 2018 tax returns

most wait for morocco to schedule an interview 2 or more months from NOA2 

Timeline
Just now, John & Rose said:

If I read @adil-rafa correctly, they are basically saying it is 3 to 4 months from NOA2 to interview.  If the timeline is correct you can expect an interview in May or June at the earliest.  Again, these are all just guesses.  You will have your 2018 taxes (which you can file as soon as you receive the W-2 from you work.  I always file in late January or early February.

That assumes a simplistic filer.  I wasn't able to file my taxes until October 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, John & Rose said:

Don't take the estimate here as anything more than it really is.  Some do meet that date but the vast majority exceed that estimate.  It is built on a small sample and a good part of that sample never comes back to update their timeline.  We were June 2017 filers and our estimate started out at a September 2017 approval.  It moved all the way to December 28 and started going back to early December 2017.

Eh; that's a bit misleading as average processing times went way up in the first half of 2017, but have been relatively stable since then (some slight up and downward movement, more recently on a downward trend as -- thankfully for us -- May seems to be moving along nicely). I haven't seen anything anywhere on how VJ calculates their estimate, but I suspect it's just average reported processing time over the last six months or something close to that. So a majority will exceed the estimate if processing times are going up, and will beat it if processing times are going down almost by definition if that's what they're doing.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.