snowcat

Green Card Interview (Approved) - October 2018, SF

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Thank you for sharing your story. Good for you! Congratulations! We applied May 25th and called USCIS to ask about processing times, the lady said it's about 15 months so we have a long way to go... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 minutes ago, Aupair3 said:

Thank you for sharing your story. Good for you! Congratulations! We applied May 25th and called USCIS to ask about processing times, the lady said it's about 15 months so we have a long way to go... 

We got married May 1, 2017 and applied for AOS May 10, 2017. Only got our green card interview scheduled on August 6, 2018 (which we had to reschedule because I was out of the country, so we got another schedule which was last October 23, 2018). So it took more than 1 year before we even got an interview scheduled. Once you get your interview though, you get your GC pretty quickly. Hang in there!

Timeline
11 minutes ago, snowcat said:

We got married May 1, 2017 and applied for AOS May 10, 2017. Only got our green card interview scheduled on August 6, 2018 (which we had to reschedule because I was out of the country, so we got another schedule which was last October 23, 2018). So it took more than 1 year before we even got an interview scheduled. Once you get your interview though, you get your GC pretty quickly. Hang in there!

I see. Did you leave the country with advance parole or did you have a valid visa? I haven't been home for some time now and really . want to visit.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

congratulations to you.i got notification for my interview is scheduled waiting for notice. i hope will get that within 2 days.i our interview will gonna be good as well.

Edited by ajay007

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Aupair3 said:

I see. Did you leave the country with advance parole or did you have a valid visa? I haven't been home for some time now and really . want to visit.

I had an EAD/AP combo card that enabled me to travel outside of the USA. Did you apply for that along with your I-485 application? Please also take great care of your EAD/AP card while abroad. Mine was stolen along with my wallet and it was a horrendous experience trying to get back into the USA. You can read about that entire ordeal I went through in this thread:  

1 minute ago, ajay007 said:

congratulations to you.i got notification for my interview is scheduled waiting for notice i hope i will get that within 2 days.i our interview will gonna be good as well.

Thanks! You should get your NOA soon in the mail. The interview is usually around or a little over a month after you get the notification. :)

Timeline

That's horrible! I applied for work permit, I received that already but didn't apply for travel document since I didn't think it would take this long. So I'm thinking to apply now and visit home next summer. 

Timeline

@snowcat what reasons did you include when you applied for AP? The instructions say: 

"You have a pending application to adjust status, Form I-485, and you seek to travel abroad temporarily for “urgent humanitarian reasons” or in furtherance of a “significant public benefit,” which may include a personal or family emergency or bona fide business reasons. "

And

"NOTE: Travel for vacation is not a valid purpose. You must NOT file Form I-131 with your deferred action request or your package will be rejected and returned to you. "

Timeline
Just now, Aupair3 said:

That's horrible! I applied for work permit, I received that already but didn't apply for travel document since I didn't think it would take this long. So I'm thinking to apply now and visit home next summer. 

Yes I do recommend that you apply for AP as well. It took me around 4 months to get my EAD/AP combo card after applying, and also 4 months when I renewed. Take note of when your EAD/AP expires btw. You will most likely have to renew that since I doubt you will get your GC before it expires (it's been the case for many, including me, since processing times are so much slower these days). To renew, you have to apply for renewal 120 days before the expiry date.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Aupair3 said:

@snowcat what reasons did you include when you applied for AP? The instructions say: 

"You have a pending application to adjust status, Form I-485, and you seek to travel abroad temporarily for “urgent humanitarian reasons” or in furtherance of a “significant public benefit,” which may include a personal or family emergency or bona fide business reasons. "

And

"NOTE: Travel for vacation is not a valid purpose. You must NOT file Form I-131 with your deferred action request or your package will be rejected and returned to you. "

Hmm, that's strange. I don't remember having to give a specific reason to travel. I just submitted an I-131 along with my I-485 application. I just ticked the checkbox that says "I am applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return to the US after temporary foreign travel", and included a supplemental page for Part 7 ("...explain how you qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole), on which I just stated I am eligible for AP because my AOS is currently pending. That's what I did when I applied the first time and when I renewed and was granted an AP both times.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, snowcat said:

Hmm, that's strange. I don't remember having to give a specific reason to travel. I just submitted an I-131 along with my I-485 application. I just ticked the checkbox that says "I am applying for an Advance Parole Document to allow me to return to the US after temporary foreign travel", and included a supplemental page for Part 7 ("...explain how you qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole), on which I just stated I am eligible for AP because my AOS is currently pending. That's what I did when I applied the first time and when I renewed and was granted an AP both times.

Thank you, it sounds good! Then I'' probably have to do the same.

Timeline

@snowcat  on the application they ask for date of intended departure and length of trip. What did you write there? I don't know the dates I'll be traveling yet. 

Timeline
14 hours ago, Aupair3 said:

@snowcat  on the application they ask for date of intended departure and length of trip. What did you write there? I don't know the dates I'll be traveling yet. 

Just estimate.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
17 hours ago, Aupair3 said:

And

16 hours ago, Aupair3 said:

@Aupair3, I addressed these concerns on your thread:

16 hours ago, TM92 said:

AOS AP can be used at any time, not just for emergencies. Here is some insight on how I filled Form I-131; e.g. I did not submit a "separate sheet of paper" explaining my request for Advance Parole. For Part 3, I also provided an unreasonable date considering USCIS processing timeline. You can fill Part 3 like this:

1. 12/06/2018

2. 16

3.a. No

4.a. No

5. (Just select this box and you are done with Part 3)

The form explicitly states that only DACA AP applicants need to fill Part 4, and just go straight to Part 7. Nonetheless, there is no negative impact in filling Part 4. You can put a generic statement like "Visit my family". And at least put Hungary (you can add countries if you wish).

Remember to select "More than one trip" for #1 in Part 7.

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to Progress Reports~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.