Karim2018

Met with girl while still married - Problem?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi guys, Here's a quick synopsis of my situation: After about 25 years of marriage, I felt that we were no longer happy. We didn't communicate much and our life seemed to have faded away. Despite all of that, we've stated married and tried to make it work, but all in vain. To drown my sorrow, I started chatting online, then I met this girl 8 years ago, and overtime, fell in love with her (while still officially married, but at that time my wife and I were separated, not "legally separated", but just separated). In fact, at that time, I was chatting with a lots of people mainly talking about my marital issues and getting opinions and advise from ordinary folks (guys and girls). Long story short, I have finally decided to move on and end my marriage, so I filled for divorce about 3 years ago. Now, that I'm single, I want to go to Morocco and marry the girl I'm in love with, and yes she loves too. By the way, I did actually meet her and her parents back in 2015 after I filed for divorce. My question is do you think we'll have issues, since we've met "online" while I was still married?  We were thinking of stating that we've met in 2015 (after I filed for divorce) and only submit chats supporting those dates, but we've opted to be truthful and just says that we've met online about 8 years ago. Your input is appreciated. Regards, -Karim

P.S. I need your objective opinion. I've shared some background info, so you have an idea about what has transpired, but please try to keep "morality" and "lecturing" out of it.  I just want your sincere and factual opinion. Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Karim2018 said:

Hi guys, Here's a quick synopsis of my situation: After about 25 years of marriage, I felt that we were no longer happy. We didn't communicate much and our life seemed to have faded away. Despite all of that, we've stated married and tried to make it work, but all in vain. To drown my sorrow, I started chatting online, then I met this girl 8 years ago, and overtime, fell in love with her (while still officially married, but at that time my wife and I were separated, not "legally separated", but just separated). In fact, at that time, I was chatting with a lots of people mainly talking about my marital issues and getting opinions and advise from ordinary folks (guys and girls). Long story short, I have finally decided to move on and end my marriage, so I filled for divorce about 3 years ago. Now, that I'm single, I want to go to Morocco and marry the girl I'm in love with, and yes she loves too. By the way, I did actually meet her and her parents back in 2015 after I filed for divorce. My question is do you think we'll have issues, since we've met "online" while I was still married?  We were thinking of stating that we've met in 2015 (after I filed for divorce) and only submit chats supporting those dates, but we've opted to be truthful and just says that we've met online about 8 years ago. Your input is appreciated. Regards, -Karim

P.S. I need your objective opinion. I've shared some background info, so you have an idea about what has transpired, but please try to keep "morality" and "lecturing" out of it.  I just want your sincere and factual opinion. Thank you!

Really has no bearing on your case. Unless of course she doesn't know about it and they ask her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Always be truthful. It isn't unusual for the Casablanca consulate to ask about how you met and to provide initial chat logs from the very beginning of the relationship. When you met her in 2015, were you officially divorced or had you just started the process? Not trying to bring up morality, but the consulate will certainly take those events and dates into heavy consideration. 

Have you gone back to visit her since 2015?

If you are going through the visa process and will be interviewing in Casablanca, Morocco, join us over at the

US-Morocco Visa Discussion Facebook Group! :) 

K1 Visa Process                                                                                                   

Spoiler

December 19, 2016: NOA1 receive date 

May 5, 2017: NOA2 hardcopy (still listed as 'received' online...)

May 23, 2017: NVC case number assigned

July 10, 2017: Interview
July 14, 2017: Visa in hand
July 27, 2017: POE at ORD

August 5, 2017: Married!

AOS Process    

Spoiler

AOS Process  

September 8, 2017 : Mailed AOS Packet

September 16, 2017 : NOA1 text/emails (receive date Sept. 12)

October 2, 2017 : Biometrics Appointment

October 13, 2017 : RFIE letter received in mail (they want an English translated Birth Certificate, which we included in the original petition...)

January 24, 2018: EAD/AP Combo Card in hand

August 9, 2018: AOS Interview (Approved)

August 9, 2018: "Card in Production"

August 16, 2018: Green card in hand

May 2020: ROC!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Really has no bearing on your case. Unless of course she doesn't know about it and they ask her.

Thank you for your swift response! Of course my ex didn't/doesn't know about it. In the sate of CA, we have what's called "no fault" divorce. Basically the courts don't care WHY you want to divorce. They just proceed with the divorce and give (or try to give) each one their rights.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
1 minute ago, Karim2018 said:

Thank you for your swift response! Of course my ex didn't/doesn't know about it. In the sate of CA, we have what's called "no fault" divorce. Basically the courts don't care WHY you want to divorce. They just proceed with the divorce and give (or try to give) each one their rights.

Yeah, same here I was actually still married when I met my fiance and it was our only meeting. We got approved no problem. Of course, Bangkok is a much easier embassy than Morocco but I think Morrocco is tougher for male beneficiaries.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, RJandHamid said:

Always be truthful. It isn't unusual for the Casablanca consulate to ask about how you met and to provide initial chat logs from the very beginning of the relationship. When you met her in 2015, were you officially divorced or had you just started the process? Not trying to bring up morality, but the consulate will certainly take those events and dates into heavy consideration. 

Have you gone back to visit her since 2015?

I understand. When we met in 2015 I had just filed for divorce 6 or 7 months back. I went to see her in Dec 2015, and I have not been to Morocco since, but I'm going in a couple of weeks to marry her. This may seems like we're rushing into it, but I've known her for 8 years, and you see, time is of essence to us. I'm an older man, and we would like to spend as much time with each other as possible :)

Edited by Karim2018

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

Yeah, same here I was actually still married when I met my fiance and it was our only meeting. We got approved no problem. Of course, Bangkok is a much easier embassy than Morocco but I think Morrocco is tougher for male beneficiaries.

Thank you for sharing your experience and for your input.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Karim2018 said:

I understand. When we met in 2015 I had just filed for divorce 6 or 7 months back. I went to see her in Dec 2015, and I have not been to Morocco since, but I'm going in a couple of weeks to marry her. This may seems like we're rushing into it, but I've known her for 8 years, and you see, time is of essence to us. I'm an older man, and we would like to spend as much time with each other as possible :)

Morocco is a VERY difficult embassy. I would highly suggest visiting a couple more times and then applying.

No problem about the communications.   You need to meet her at least one in the last two years for a visa.  Even more visits are better.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
48 minutes ago, Karim2018 said:

not talking about the ex

the new wife must know all and be able to answer questions about this

No problem at all actually. I met my wife when I was still married before and working overseas. I actually said that she was the one who helped me out whenever I needed someone to talk to and was my rock at the time which led me to fall in love with her. 

Timeline

Can i ask if she is from Fes or one of the other northern cities?

important as many of them are going to interview and getting asked for a DS 5535 

Timeline
9 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

not talking about the ex

the new wife must know all and be able to answer questions about this

Yes the new wife knows everything about me and about my ex. Thanks

Timeline
9 hours ago, adil-rafa said:

Can i ask if she is from Fes or one of the other northern cities?

important as many of them are going to interview and getting asked for a DS 5535 

Yes, she's from Meknes. What's is that all about? Waht's so special (or I guess not so special) about northern cities? Any idea why they're asking for a 5535?! On what grounds are they being singled out? If it's not a "blanket policy", then that's called discrimination in my book lol ;)

9 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

No problem at all actually. I met my wife when I was still married before and working overseas. I actually said that she was the one who helped me out whenever I needed someone to talk to and was my rock at the time which led me to fall in love with her. 

Thank you for your input.

Timeline

look into facebook for site on DS 5535 for fes/ it is widely talked about / even women are getting asked for this document

in 2017 there were 11 terriorists groups broken up / the biggest one was in Fes

since then most of the Fes beneficaries and other northern cities are getting request (at interview) to make out the DS 5535 and it delays a visa by a year while they do a security investigation 

I would go into interview with a DS 5535 filled out if i was from northern Morocco

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.