HP+IC

Kiev K1/K2 interview, question + advice needed

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Dear All, my USC fiance will be visiting for Xmas and the New Year and may bring whatever may be necessary for the interview (petition may be adjudicated as early as January) from his side (certified copies, original I-134 with latest 2017 taxes filed etc). Also we are trying to make a travel budget and are tight on it, because the interview implies at least 2 visits to Kiev for me and my son and possibly the fiance too. So these are my questions:

- the embassy's website has an interview checklist but it is not clear which documents may be requested from the USC petitioner apart from I-134, W2s, paystubs, employer's letter and updated intent to marry? Like, birth certificate, marriage and divorce certificates whatever. If they are indeed requested, are they to be certified copies or true originals? If they are to be certified copies, who they must be certified by (the issuing authority, US notary etc)?

- I assume, the USC fiance is always allowed on the premises if not welcome. Do we need to email the embassy for permission in advance or may he just walk-in?

- I assume our case is not the simplest out there (7.5 mos courtship, just 2 face times together before filing, 17 years age gap, me being separated but still married during the 1st face time together, multiple divorces on his side), so him being present is highly recommended. Does it make a real difference?

- A K2 kid under 14 is not required for the interview, is there any benefit for an English speaking kid aged 13 to be there?

- I heard medical with a kid takes longer. How many days stay in Kiev does it require if all goes well?

- what must the father's notarized permit say, like: I, the father, am aware that my minor child is going to emigrate to the USA with his mother and give my consent for him to do so and further acquire US citizenship as the case may be?

- Is there anything else apart from the updated letters of intent to marry which is of essence but not explicitly mentioned on the website?

All your considerations regarding these or maybe other issues you may consider worth mentioning will be highly appreciated. Many thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
8 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

If they are to be certified copies, who they must be certified by (the issuing authority, US notary etc)?

Only an issuing authority can certify a copy.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

6 hours ago, HP+IC said:

Dear All, my USC fiance will be visiting for Xmas and the New Year and may bring whatever may be necessary for the interview (petition may be adjudicated as early as January) from his side (certified copies, original I-134 with latest 2017 taxes filed etc). Also we are trying to make a travel budget and are tight on it, because the interview implies at least 2 visits to Kiev for me and my son and possibly the fiance too. So these are my questions:

- the embassy's website has an interview checklist but it is not clear which documents may be requested from the USC petitioner apart from I-134, W2s, paystubs, employer's letter and updated intent to marry? Like, birth certificate, marriage and divorce certificates whatever. If they are indeed requested, are they to be certified copies or true originals? If they are to be certified copies, who they must be certified by (the issuing authority, US notary etc)?

- I assume, the USC fiance is always allowed on the premises if not welcome. Do we need to email the embassy for permission in advance or may he just walk-in?

- I assume our case is not the simplest out there (7.5 mos courtship, just 2 face times together before filing, 17 years age gap, me being separated but still married during the 1st face time together, multiple divorces on his side), so him being present is highly recommended. Does it make a real difference?

- A K2 kid under 14 is not required for the interview, is there any benefit for an English speaking kid aged 13 to be there?

- I heard medical with a kid takes longer. How many days stay in Kiev does it require if all goes well?

- what must the father's notarized permit say, like: I, the father, am aware that my minor child is going to emigrate to the USA with his mother and give my consent for him to do so and further acquire US citizenship as the case may be?

- Is there anything else apart from the updated letters of intent to marry which is of essence but not explicitly mentioned on the website?

All your considerations regarding these or maybe other issues you may consider worth mentioning will be highly appreciated. Many thanks!

Permition to acquire  citizenship for the child doesn’t need to be mentioned in the father’s consent. It’s really irrelevant at this stage. The child will turn 18 probably By the time he will be eligibale to get naturalized. 

As to how to write the consent, notaries know what to write in the consent. The most important is to make the father go there. 

6 hours ago, HP+IC said:

I’m not sure what check list you read or found but the check list on the official website of the us embassy in Kiev clearly states what you need. If they say birth certificate, you need to bring the original document. I don’t see anywhere it says certified copy. Whatever they list there, you bring everything. https://ua.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/151/Interview-checklist-K1.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

I’m not sure what check list you read or found but the check list on the official website of the us embassy in Kiev clearly states what you need. If they say birth certificate, you need to bring the original document. I don’t see anywhere it says certified copy. Whatever they list there, you bring everything. https://ua.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/151/Interview-checklist-K1.pdf

I believe OP meant if some of the documents, like birth certificate, marriage and divorce certificates, are needed from US petitioner,  for OP's interview.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Lenchick said:

I was referring to this check list exactly. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that an applicant Beneficiary should bring (or not) any document referring to the Petitioner and/or updated letter/s of intent to marry, which, if not readily available at the interview, may lead to conditional denial of visa. Please note that for I-129F you only file legible photocopies and many embassies specifically request original or certified copies of US divorce decrees. I just wanted to know if this may be or was, in someone's situation, the case with Kiev.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

I believe OP meant if some of the documents, like birth certificate, marriage and divorce certificates, are needed from US petitioner,  for OP's interview.

Absolutely

3 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

I was referring to this check list exactly. There is absolutely nothing to suggest that an applicant Beneficiary should bring (or not) any document referring to the Petitioner and/or updated letter/s of intent to marry, which, if not readily available at the interview, may lead to conditional denial of visa. Please note that for I-129F you only file legible photocopies and many embassies specifically request original or certified copies of US divorce decrees. I just wanted to know if this may be or was, in someone's situation, the case with Kiev.

When he visits you before the interview make him bring all his divorce decrees with him in case. They won’t require his birth certificate. His US passport is enough and they wont ask for the original either. W2 form can be printed out. It’s already a ready form that doesn’t need to have any stamp like Ukrainian documents. The same with tax returns/transcripts. He can print them out online or call IRS and they will send them to him.  Certified copy of the divorce decrees could be requested from the county court in the US. Those copies are like originals. They bear the seal of the issuing authority. They are not notarized copies like in Ukraine. 

Timeline
7 hours ago, HP+IC said:

Hi.

I don't thing multiple divorces are gonna be an issue, as long as you are aware of them. As well as him still being married at the time of your first meeting - a lot of people don't file for divorce and just live  separately . Or -  a divorce is taking forever. Different situations, life happens. 

Everything in the list is for K visa applicant. Not for USC.  So I don't think you'd need your Fiance's birth certificate . But it probably won't hurt if you have certified copies of his divorce decrees. I had them (they were all requested from Court so were already "certified" copies) , along with copy of my husband's passport - biological page and pages, stamped by Customs as proof of his entries of Ukraine. Don't think the documents were requested during my interview, but having them with me  definitely brought me some peace in mind.

I also had my hubby's Tax Transcripts, for the last 3 years, Bank Statement (few), Bank Letter, stating he's been the client since XXX and his current balance is $, and the Letter of Employment - to support our I-134. That's it.

As a  USC your Fiance doesn't need to request a permission from the Embassy to be present there. He would  need his passport though, to be allowed in. 

Does it make a difference if a US petitioner is present at beneficiary's interview?  - Probably. There are some Embassies, in certain countries there it is really important. But  Kiev has never been a "tough" embassy.... As long as you have strong evidences of your ongoing relationship, you should be fine with or without him. But of course, if he can come to support you, then definitely go for that. 

There are not any benefits for either English speaking kid, or non-speaking. All are equal.  Besides, an interview can be provided on Ukrainian, russian or English - all up to you.

I know it's not required for a child under age 14 to be there. But  it doesn't  say a child can't be present at all.... So,  I'd take the kid with me. Just in case - to avoid any possible issue or unpredictable situations. Besides, scheduling your K-1 interview, you 'll have to mention child there anyway..

Medical with a kid doesn't take any longer than without. People gossip :) If everything is fine and X-ray comes back negative, you should be able to pic up the medical results, for BOTH, the next day.

As for father's permission - as Lenchick mentioned, any notary knows what to do. The main thing - to bring child's father there and have him sign the paper.

I also had original documents with me  and their copies with certified translation. Not required, but again - just in case, if any copy requested (they don't usually do it, but still - can ). Besides, I needed them later anyway - for SS Office, AOS and soon will need for my N-400, again. So it didn't hurt to get them done anyway. 

Good luck!!!

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
37 minutes ago, Ksenia_O said:

Hi.

I don't thing multiple divorces are gonna be an issue, as long as you are aware of them. As well as him still being married at the time of your first meeting - a lot of people don't file for divorce and just live  separately . Or -  a divorce is taking forever. Different situations, life happens. 

Everything in the list is for K visa applicant. Not for USC.  So I don't think you'd need your Fiance's birth certificate . But it probably won't hurt if you have certified copies of his divorce decrees. I had them (they were all requested from Court so were already "certified" copies) , along with copy of my husband's passport - biological page and pages, stamped by Customs as proof of his entries of Ukraine. Don't think the documents were requested during my interview, but having them with me  definitely brought me some peace in mind.

I also had my hubby's Tax Transcripts, for the last 3 years, Bank Statement (few), Bank Letter, stating he's been the client since XXX and his current balance is $, and the Letter of Employment - to support our I-134. That's it.

As a  USC your Fiance doesn't need to request a permission from the Embassy to be present there. He would  need his passport though, to be allowed in. 

Does it make a difference if a US petitioner is present at beneficiary's interview?  - Probably. There are some Embassies, in certain countries there it is really important. But  Kiev has never been a "tough" embassy.... As long as you have strong evidences of your ongoing relationship, you should be fine with or without him. But of course, if he can come to support you, then definitely go for that. 

There are not any benefits for either English speaking kid, or non-speaking. All are equal.  Besides, an interview can be provided on Ukrainian, russian or English - all up to you.

I know it's not required for a child under age 14 to be there. But  it doesn't  say a child can't be present at all.... So,  I'd take the kid with me. Just in case - to avoid any possible issue or unpredictable situations. Besides, scheduling your K-1 interview, you 'll have to mention child there anyway..

Medical with a kid doesn't take any longer than without. People gossip :) If everything is fine and X-ray comes back negative, you should be able to pic up the medical results, for BOTH, the next day.

As for father's permission - as Lenchick mentioned, any notary knows what to do. The main thing - to bring child's father there and have him sign the paper.

I also had original documents with me  and their copies with certified translation. Not required, but again - just in case, if any copy requested (they don't usually do it, but still - can ). Besides, I needed them later anyway - for SS Office, AOS and soon will need for my N-400, again. So it didn't hurt to get them done anyway. 

Good luck!!!

Thank you so much, I anticipated something like you've pictured. The only correction is, I know my fiance for ages but we didn't communicate for about 25 years. And it was ME who was still married at the beginning of our new relationship. I lived separately from my then husband and took my time negotiating divorce, property and child custody and only filed for divorce when all those issues were pre-settled. Which happened after we actually reconciled with my now fiance. And our reconciliation was effectively prompted by him becoming aware of my situation, something which may seem unusual from US point of view and difficult to understand. However, our relationship is bona fide with sustainable evidence.

Edited by HP+IC

Timeline
1 minute ago, HP+IC said:

Thank you so much, I anticipated something like you've pictured. The only correction is, it was ME who was still married at the beginning of our new relationship. I lived separately from my then husband and took my time negotiating divorce, property and child custody and only filed for divorce when all those issues were pre-settled. Which happened after we actually reconciled with my now fiance. And our reconciliation was effectively prompted by him becoming aware of my situation, something which may seem unusual from US point of view and difficult to understand. However, our relationship is bona fide with sustainable evidence.

You are very welcome :)

Well, you have really strong and reasonable explanation about the situation with your separation/divorce.

I understand the interview is getting closer and you are worried....  As it's been said before - life happens, and a CO is well aware of that as well. 

I'm pretty positive you should be fine! 

• 11 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/5/2018 at 4:18 PM, HP+IC said:

Thank you so much, I anticipated something like you've pictured. The only correction is, I know my fiance for ages but we didn't communicate for about 25 years. And it was ME who was still married at the beginning of our new relationship. I lived separately from my then husband and took my time negotiating divorce, property and child custody and only filed for divorce when all those issues were pre-settled. Which happened after we actually reconciled with my now fiance. And our reconciliation was effectively prompted by him becoming aware of my situation, something which may seem unusual from US point of view and difficult to understand. However, our relationship is bona fide with sustainable evidence.

Did you get your visa at the end?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
14 hours ago, jstriders said:

Did you get your visa at the end?

See the OP's timeline.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.