Ukrainek1

Kyiv embassy admin processing

34 posts in this topic

My fiancé and I had our petition approved by USCIs and subsequently she had her interview 1week ago  I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the interview with her.  

She has never applied for a us visa before, has no criminal record and passed her medical exam. Has never overstayed  a visa before in any country and has travelled extensively in Europe.

I did have a dui 14 years ago - found not guilty and second degree assault nearly 15 years ago and disclosed this on the application but it was never brought up at interview and my fiancé knows about it.

We handed our documents in and then were called to an interview with the co.  The co was an American and my fiancé noted that the co was conversational in Russian but not 100 percent fluent as it was not her native langage.My fiancé has the same skills in English. When we approached the co asked Me (petitioner) a few  questions, how many times I have been to ukraine, what kind of work do I do. The interview then turned to my fiancé and she asked her where she lives, when did we meet and then told us to sit down then have to do some  additional checks. This was all in English. 

We waited for about 3 hours and then my fiancé was called back up and was interviewed by another Ukrainian girl. I went up to the window with her (as is allowed in the Ukrainian embassy) but was asked poloitely by the second interviewer to please sit back down, which I did.

Backstory:My fiancé had an ex bf who lived in holland and she would go to holland and spend 3 months there, then go back to ukraine for 3 Months. Many times he would go back with her. She did this for 5 years.  He and her family supported her and she never worked (her never working was not brought up in the interview but was disclosed on the ds160. ) She travelled to him in holland and with him to many countries in Europe. She never overstayed a visa. And she never visited holland after she met me. 

The second interviewer ( which was conducted in Ukrainian language) asked her why she travelled to holland, what his name was, where he lived, if I knew about him. (And I did know about him) Then they gave her bait questions and said “so the petitioner has been Married before... and He has children. Both are false statements and she denied them and said thats not true. They also asked her if I had any family and she said yes Mom dad and sister and my fiancé let them know she has spoken to them on WhatsApp. 

They also asked her why I came to ukraine the first time? She said I don’t know...  to see the country or find a girl? The interviewer came back to her very loudly and said what is it, see a girl? She said yes fibd a girl.  Then asked maybe I used an agency and she said no. He met me at a club. Asked for the name of the club.

They gave her a 221g pink form. My fiancé called me back up  and I spoke in English to the Ukrainian girl who was the second interview told me they can’t make a decision and will be in touch. I asked when will you make a decision and she said we don’t know.  She said she’s not a consulate officer but offered to get the original co.

The co came back and I asked her what the time frame is and she said most should be less then 2 weeks and said I even see complex cases are resolved in 2 weeks. I don’t  really believe that time frame.  I said any reason we would not be approved and she said as long as no one here is in a relationship already. She also said we have to be careful because people have professional girlfriends. 

I have a feeling they are implying she is a prostitute because she travelled to holland where prostitution is legal and ukraine is a sex tourism destination and because she hasn’t worked.

they kept her passport and kept 13 pages of our WhatsApp convserstions and about 30 pictures of us togetheer.

i understand while in ap there is no timeframe although I feel like our ap is more of a factual issue vs legal issue. My research has shown that those cases in ap at the embassy level that get sent back to nvc take a lot linger then those processed in ap at the embassy. And legal issues are processed by the nvc not embassy. 

so what are the chances? Should I just end my misery and cancel this and file a cr1. Petition 

I have very strong research skills with my job and i have the name of the co. I can also get the email knowing the email format the state department employs. All obtained legally. Does it hurt to try to contact the co directly to plead my case if I don’t hear in 2 weeks? I can send her 200 more pages of WhatsApp conversations and 500 more pictures.

thanks for any advice 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

they must have found something on your application that they did not like. It's up to the CO to verify what you hand him over on paperwork or not. The Kiev embassy is pretty mellow for K-1, so if all the T's and I's where crossed and doted, no problems. You would have to review what you handed him over and remember the conversations and maybe then try to get a reasonable deduction from it. If after the 221g is changed to a denial....get married and do CR-1.

I also was at the interview and seem to me something was missing there.

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Sounds to me like they have doubts about a bona fide relationship.......for whatever reason.  I would let this play out on its own for a month.......But if, eventually, they send it back, there will be no chance for appeal.......If they send it back or deny at the consulate level,  I would immediately withdraw the I-129f, marry her there, file a CR-1, and start building quality evidence for a bona fide marriage......just my opinion.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, missileman said:

Sounds to me like they have doubts about a bona fide relationship.......for whatever reason.  I would let this play out on its own for a month.......But if, eventually, they send it back, there will be no chance for appeal.......If they send it back or deny at the consulate level,  I would immediately withdraw the I-129f, marry her there, file a CR-1, and start building quality evidence for a bona fide marriage......just my opinion.

Thank you. You ever hear of anyone having success in reaching out to the co directly offering additional evidence or pleading whatever case they have ?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Having a (Dutch?) ex BF, travelling extensively, not ever working, living on support and hanging out in clubs not even knowing English enough to maintain a social conversation is perfectly legal but may not look good. This is not something average Ukrainian girl does and they know it. Is there any age gap or other red flags, like a short courtship, quick engagement, one visit etc? Isn't a 'pink slip' a request for more evidence? Apparently they have doubt about your relationship and would probably want some more information, other than perform more background checks. Did they request anything at all? IMO, an attempt to contact the CO directly will not be of any help. They proceed strictly as per their manuals and personal contact, if not requested and/or authorised, is not welcome.

6 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

Having a (Dutch?) ex BF, travelling extensively, not ever working, living on support and hanging out in clubs not even knowing English enough to maintain a social conversation is perfectly legal but may not look good. This is not something average Ukrainian girl does and they know it. Is there any age gap or other red flags, like a short courtship, quick engagement, one visit etc? Isn't a 'pink slip' a request for more evidence? Apparently they have doubt about your relationship and would probably want some more information, other than perform more background checks. Did they request anything at all? IMO, an attempt to contact the CO directly will not be of any help. They proceed strictly as per their manuals and personal contact, if not requested and/or authorised, is not welcome.

Thank for youe response @HP+ICYes I agree it doesn’t look good but we have followed the letter of the law to a t.

They gave a pink slip but they did not ask for any additional information and they said we have everything we need we just need more time and can’t make a decision today.

14 year age difference and enagaged after my second trip and have visited her a total of 8 times as of the interview date and I let them know that. 

Any other insight?

Edited by Ukrainek1

Timeline

Probably not. Just wait and hope for the better. You've done everything you could have done by this moment.

Timeline

I wish my fiance could come to join me at the interview. At least I asked him to, but it is not yet clear whether it will be possible. My idea is, that him coming is the ultimate demonstration of support and commitment and whatever happens, good or bad, we will stand together. You the OP have done everything you could and while your fiancee must be grateful to you, you may rest assured you've done it properly. So just hope for the better

Timeline
3 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

I wish my fiance could come to join me at the interview. At least I asked him to, but it is not yet clear whether it will be possible. My idea is, that him coming is the ultimate demonstration of support and commitment and whatever happens, good or bad, we will stand together. You the OP have done everything you could and while your fiancee must be grateful to you, you may rest assured you've done it properly. So just hope for the better

My plan it to be there for interview. Ideally, we would travel back together assuming things go well. But as with all things dealing with government bureaucracy, no plans can be made in stone. To be honest, this story worries me quite a bit, because I was under impression Kyiv was pretty laid back embassy. 

11 minutes ago, HP+IC said:

Yes i almost didn’t come to the interview  and didn’t want to but my fiancé really wanted me there so I made it happen and am glad I went because I was able to get the co to come back and ask her the additional questions. 

That day there were a combo of 15 marriage/fiancé interviews that day and 1 individual was there for a green card lottery interview. All the interviews went well except ours and one other.

the other lady who had a second interview had met her fiancé 27 years ago. He proposed to her 15 years ago and she said yes last year after thinking about it for 15 years. They didn’t have any photos together (I guess they would have had to for uscis but my fiancé said the second interviewer was being very strong in her questioning to this lady). She said the language was much stronger then it was for her interview. 

Edited by Ukrainek1

Timeline
1 minute ago, Shiran said:

My plan it to be there for interview. Ideally, we would travel back together assuming things go well. But as with all things dealing with government bureaucracy, no plans can be made in stone. To be honest, this story worries me quite a bit, because I was under impression Kyiv was pretty laid back embassy. 

Aha. That's right, me too. Us having a bit of red flags may not look convincing enough and I am always stuck in between their possible doubt about bona fide relationship and appearing too married (though this is probably not an issue specifically for Kiev). And this unpredictable situation is driving me nuts, since I am a lawyer and a purely rational person 

6 minutes ago, Shiran said:

I really wouldn’t worry. On paper our story doesn’t make sense but she did fine in her second interview and it makes perfect sense once they have all the information.

when I take a step back and look at it and see she has the travel to holland/Amsterdam and doesn’t work it’s normal for them to question that. They did and she provided them her reasons and her storyS  They are going to do whatever searches they want and they aren’t going to find a reason to deny us. The good news is she hasn’t been back to Amsterdam since she met me and she provided them with all of his information and told me I knew about him. I told the co that as well .  I have photos with her family. So really there is nothing they will find but I understand their position as to why they have to do additional checks. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ukrainek1 said:

Yes i almost didn’t come to the interview  and didn’t want to but my fiancé really wanted me there so I made it happen and am glad I went because I was able to get the co to come back and ask her the additional questions. 

That day there were a combo of 15 marriage/fiancé interviews that day and 1 individual was there for a green card lottery interview. All the interviews went well except ours and one other.

the other lady who had a second interview had met her fiancé 27 years ago. He proposed to her 15 years ago and she said yes last year after thinking about it for 15 years. They didn’t have any photos together (I guess they would have had to for uscis but my fiancé said the second interviewer was being very strong in her questioning to this lady). She said the language was much stronger then it was for her interview. 

This makes me think that no single case is like another and those on the way to interview must try to look at their file like the CO (with cold blood and analytically) and try to fix the faults or strengthen their evidence while they still have time

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.