lierre

Sibling going to US grad school

30 posts in this topic

I’m now a US citizen. If my family ends up wanting to live here, we may consider applying for immigrant visas for them as family members of a USC. Which for siblings might take 10-14 years — have not yet looked up Times for people coming from the Philippines.

However, my sister is considering doing grad school here. Which I presume would be either a J1 or an H1B (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). 

With certain limitations attached to those non-immigrant visas, would that hurt her chances of getting approved for immigration? How “easy” is it to change status from non-immigrant to immigrant? Just wanted to know personal experiences and/or get your two cents.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

F1 for Students.

She will not be studying that long so will not be able to adjust to immigrant status through you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Siblings from Philippines takes 25 years. fastest way is to petition parents and have them petition siblings. Parents as green card holders takes about 2 years. 

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

5 minutes ago, Boiler said:

F1 for Students.

She will not be studying that long so will not be able to adjust to immigrant status through you.

Even for PhD? Acceptance into programs often come with job positions. I thought it could be an H1B.

3 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Siblings from Philippines takes 25 years. fastest way is to petition parents and have them petition siblings. Parents as green card holders takes about 2 years. 

Knew I should have looked it up! Thank you for that.

do you happen to know the processing time for LPR parents petitioning adult daughter?

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.

Audre Lorde

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Very unusual for a Uni to use H1b's, F1 is the Student visa. J1 for faculty sometimes.

12 years or so for adult children, single.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

13 minutes ago, ivyyy said:

Even for PhD? Acceptance into programs often come with job positions. I thought it could be an H1B.

Knew I should have looked it up! Thank you for that.

do you happen to know the processing time for LPR parents petitioning adult daughter?

The jobs are on-campus and fall under F1.

22 minutes ago, dwheels76 said:

Depends on age of child. Under 21 is indeed a little over 2 years, but over 21 for Philippines is over 11 years. If sibling is looking at PhD, one assumes sibling is or soon will be over 21.

OP: you want to be looking at F2B for Philippines in first table https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2019/visa-bulletin-for-november-2018.html

Edited by SusieQQQ

4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Depends on age of child. Under 21 is indeed a little over 2 years, but over 21 for Philippines is over 11 years. If sibling is looking at PhD, one assumes sibling is or soon will be over 21.

OP: you want to be looking at F2B for Philippines in first table https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2019/visa-bulletin-for-november-2018.html

17 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Very unusual for a Uni to use H1b's, F1 is the Student visa. J1 for faculty sometimes.

12 years or so for adult children, single.

Thank you! Will start exploring this side of the visa world then. 

Audre Lorde

40 minutes ago, ivyyy said:

How “easy” is it to change status from non-immigrant to immigrant?

Their PD has to be current first, which as noted above is a pretty lengthy process.

But they cannot enter with intent to adjust status to an immigrant.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, ivyyy said:

I’m now a US citizen. If my family ends up wanting to live here, we may consider applying for immigrant visas for them as family members of a USC. Which for siblings might take 10-14 years — have not yet looked up Times for people coming from the Philippines.

However, my sister is considering doing grad school here. Which I presume would be either a J1 or an H1B (feel free to correct me if I’m wrong). 

With certain limitations attached to those non-immigrant visas, would that hurt her chances of getting approved for immigration? How “easy” is it to change status from non-immigrant to immigrant? Just wanted to know personal experiences and/or get your two cents.

As you can now see from the previous replies in this thread, the everybody-come-at-once option is a challenging (often nearly impossible) task for migrating extended family. In fact, we rarely see it happen successfully.

That being said, school visas may not provide enough time for your plan, meaning that they may finish their academic requirements (graduate) before their priority date is current. Then they may be stuck in limbo and have to either return to the PH, or remain unauthorized in the US.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

38 minutes ago, NuestraUnion said:

That being said, school visas may not provide enough time for your plan, meaning that they may finish their academic requirements (graduate) before their priority date is current. Then they may be stuck in limbo and have to either return to the PH, or remain unauthorized in the US.

Remaining unauthorized in the US of course means they cannot adjust status even when the PD becomes current, and may have a long ban to deal with depending on how long they were in unauthorized stay. Not only illegal,  but also a totally impractical/just plain stupid course of action for someone who has a legal option for immigration albeit one they need to wait for.

Edited by SusieQQQ

2 hours ago, geowrian said:

Their PD has to be current first, which as noted above is a pretty lengthy process.

But they cannot enter with intent to adjust status to an immigrant.

Of course not. Visas are visas.

Hmmm i don’t know what a PD is.

Audre Lorde

2 hours ago, NuestraUnion said:

As you can now see from the previous replies in this thread, the everybody-come-at-once option is a challenging (often nearly impossible) task for migrating extended family. In fact, we rarely see it happen successfully.

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Remaining unauthorized in the US of course means they cannot adjust status even when the PD becomes current, and may have a long ban to deal with depending on how long they were in unauthorized stay. Not only illegal,  but also a totally impractical/just plain stupid course of action for someone who has a legal option for immigration albeit one they need to wait for.

Geez. That escalated REALLY quickly.

My family isn’t even considering immigration yet. I’m just looking at all the potential pathways for her, since my dad’s pathway is obviously clearcut (family-based). FYI, not everyone in the world wants to migrate to the US. I know for sure I didn’t.

and yes, she’s considering a PhD program... which is at least 5 years of her life. Hence, my question — I’m not asking about changing status while on a non-immigrant visa. I’m asking for after.

Like if she was on an F1 or a J1 or an H1B while doing grad school, will that be a detriment to an immigration petition I file or my dad files for her behalf? Like will it ruin her chances? 

Don’t know if this is really the forum to ask this. I just presumed somebody here had experienced this with their family since I don’t think I’m the only immigrant in the US  who has & have family with graduate degrees.

Audre Lorde

32 minutes ago, ivyyy said:

Hmmm i don’t know what a PD is.

PD = Priority Date. This determines when a visa number becomes available for the given I-130 petition. When you file the I-130, you'll get a PD. Then regardless of when the I-130 is approved, you wait for that to become current for their classification in the Visa Bulletin before it will proceed through NVC and schedule an interview.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-5 Timeline

Also, remember H1-B is dual intent (entering or adjusting with non-immigrant intent but also is allowed to pursue permanent residency). Now, if she is anyways doing PhD, there is a good case for applying thro' an employment-based (EB) petition made by an employer once she graduates - that will be on her own merit without tagging to any family immigration alternatives. For a Philippines born person, and with an EB (there are multiple priority categories here - research it) route, they would get green card easily within 24 months if not earlier. 

Edited by willcrack

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.