Jump to content
jessicashmessica

Did you tell your employers?

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Good day, all. To distract us all from the ####### situation we’re all in, I thought I’d start a little thread about something I’ve wondered about and have not seen on VJ.

 

For those of you who are leaving your countries to be with your spouse/SO at some unknown point, did you tell your workplace that you are leaving the country (and obviously the job, too) at some point? 

 

I will start. I got this job in November 2016, a week after getting married. We submitted when my US husband graduated—that is, July 2018. As far as my job knows, my husband will be moving here (a lie, and yes I feel badly about it), not the other way around (the truth is I will be moving to glorious America whenever this blessed visa arrives). 

 

How about you? Did you tell your workplace? Will you? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously as some point people have to tell their employer they are resigning/quitting. Generally people don't until they have visa in hand (or shouldn't anyways just to be safe). For my husband he gave a notice 2 weeks before his interview (his decision) and then worked his last two weeks training up his replacement for them. Don't have to tell them why or what ever though.

Edited by Ben&Zian

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

07/08/2016 : NOA 1 Received

08/25/2016 : NOA 2 Received (48 days)

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/18/2016 : Visa in hand

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

 

02/03/2017 - Married 

 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

03/06/2017 - NOA1's received via text

03/31/2017 - Biometrics appointment Completed

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

 

 

giphy.gifvd9wauve2wlsd9fuctxk.gifgiphy.gif     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jessicashmessica said:

Good day, all. To distract us all from the ####### situation we’re all in, I thought I’d start a little thread about something I’ve wondered about and have not seen on VJ.

 

For those of you who are leaving your countries to be with your spouse/SO at some unknown point, did you tell your workplace that you are leaving the country (and obviously the job, too) at some point? 

 

I will start. I got this job in November 2016, a week after getting married. We submitted when my US husband graduated—that is, July 2018. As far as my job knows, my husband will be moving here (a lie, and yes I feel badly about it), not the other way around (the truth is I will be moving to glorious America whenever this blessed visa arrives). 

 

How about you? Did you tell your workplace? Will you? 

At my workplace, we have strong relationship at work and after work. So, when I first start relationship with my fiance (now he is my husband). I told my manager and my colleague about the relationship and my intention to immigrate there. So, they always being up to date about what happened. My manager even kindly write a recommendation letter for me, so that I can use that to find a job here. It is fine if you didn't tell them. It is not compulsory to tell about that. Just tell them when you have visa on hand and when you want to quit the job. 


DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

 

 
I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really would depend on the person's work situation. My wife told her employers early on, but they didn't believe her. We'd intended to start the process the year before, but they offered her increased responsibilities which would enhance her career and we delayed for a bit. After all, though pricey, a trip to Bermuda was only 2 hours travel from NYC, where I lived at the time. They figured the same would happen again. Now, I'd met her job mates and boss on various of my trips (plus I lived there for a bit), and they knew of our long-distance relationship, from both before and after she'd lived in the U.S. (she was here several years gaining degrees). Additionally, some of them (being a bit homophobic) didn't really see validity in our relationship...despite the fact we'd been together about 18 years when we did file. Even after she moved and we married, they offered her a project to work remotely (which she took), then another full-time position on the staff (which she didn't take), assuming she (maybe even we) would just move back.

 

That was a bit wordy, but I was caught up in now amusing memories. :)

 

For most, I'd recommend giving proper notice when the visa is in hand. For some, it could jeopardize their position and I totally would agree that they keep it closely held until necessary.

Edited by tamcloud

K-1 Journey

 

08/09/2015: I-129F mailed
08/14/2015: NOA1 received by email; hardcopy received approximately 08/17/2015
09/14/2015: NOA2 received
09/30/2015: NVC received case
10/02/2015: CEAC status changed to "In Transit"
10/08/2015: CEAC status changed to "Ready"
10/09/2015: Consulate acknowledged receipt via phone; Hardcopy from US DoS with case number.
10/19/2015: Received information from Consulate.
10/28/2015: Medical Exam
11/17/2015: Interview...rescheduled due to computer problems. New date as yet unknown.
11/18/2015: Called in for interview and APPROVED!

11/24/2015: Picked up visa/passport and sealed packet from the Consulate! <happy dance>

02/14/2016: Arrived in the U.S. (POE was Bermuda)...CO was really nice!

02/18/2016: Married! :)

2

AOS Journey

 

03/02/2016: AOS/EAD/AP Package mailed
03/14/2016: I-485/765/131 NOAs received by mail. USCIS Received Date 03/04/2016; USCIS Notice Date 03/10/2016
03/25/2016: Received biometrics appointment letter for I-485 & I-765
04/04/2016: Biometrics appointment
04/26/2016: Received notification that the I-131 was approved and the name was updated on the I-765
05/23/2016: Received notice that card was being produced for I-765.
05/28/2016: Received EAD/AP card.
06/01/2016: Received electronic notice that AOS interview has been scheduled.
06/30/2016: I-485 interview at USCIS Baltimore Field Office.
09/01/2016: InfoPass appointment made for 09/07/2016.
09/06/2016: Received electronic notification that I-485 was approved on 09/02/2016.
09/09/2016: Received approval letter.
09/14/2016: Green Card delivered! :)

 

ROC...

 

06/13/2018: I-751 package mailed to Vermont Service Center
06/25/2018: NOA/extension letter received, dated 06/19/2018

07/14/2018: Received ASC notice for Biometrics Appointment

 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~~Moved to Off Topic, from IR1/CR1 P&P~~


Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My workplace knew all about it. Colleagues would ask me how our case was progressing, what the next step was, etc. The senior management sent me flowers and champagne when our I-130 was approved. I had my interview on December 6 and my last day of work was December 9. They knew where I was going on December 6 and there were emails going all day "wonder if she's had her interview yet?" and "wonder when we will get the news" and I called my good friend at work when I came out of the embassy to say my visa had been approved and sent an email to the whole department "SHE DID IT!!!!!!". Thus followed a whole load of congratulatory messages. My leaving party was 3 nights in Amsterdam and we had a great time. 


 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs. T-B.-to-be (who, incidentally, made POE here 10 years ago as of October 9) had a different situation.

We were fighting the ####### Guayaquil consulate for many months, so she had to fill her time.

She started her own business, selling & installing high-reception telephone antennas, on her own schedule.

She got to see parts of Ecuador that she wouldn't have seen otherwise.

This included 2-hour horseback rides up mountains, and fording streams on customers' handmade boats.

Once, a customer walked 6 hours through the jungle to buy an antenna from her (true story).

 

She didn't come to the U.S. for a few weeks after she got her visa, because of commitments to customers.

Now, she's my final wife, at least for now.

Her presence here proves that she wasn't eaten by one of those industrial-sized boa constrictors in the Ecu jungles.


06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JFH said:

My workplace knew all about it. Colleagues would ask me how our case was progressing, what the next step was, etc. The senior management sent me flowers and champagne when our I-130 was approved. I had my interview on December 6 and my last day of work was December 9. They knew where I was going on December 6 and there were emails going all day "wonder if she's had her interview yet?" and "wonder when we will get the news" and I called my good friend at work when I came out of the embassy to say my visa had been approved and sent an email to the whole department "SHE DID IT!!!!!!". Thus followed a whole load of congratulatory messages. My leaving party was 3 nights in Amsterdam and we had a great time. 

Wow that’s amazing. That’s nothing like my coworkers would be. 

35 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Mrs. T-B.-to-be (who, incidentally, made POE here 10 years ago as of October 9) had a different situation.

We were fighting the ####### Guayaquil consulate for many months, so she had to fill her time.

She started her own business, selling & installing high-reception telephone antennas, on her own schedule.

She got to see parts of Ecuador that she wouldn't have seen otherwise.

This included 2-hour horseback rides up mountains, and fording streams on customers' handmade boats.

Once, a customer walked 6 hours through the jungle to buy an antenna from her (true story).

 

She didn't come to the U.S. for a few weeks after she got her visa, because of commitments to customers.

Now, she's my final wife, at least for now.

Her presence here proves that she wasn't eaten by one of those industrial-sized boa constrictors in the Ecu jungles.

LOL! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×