Jump to content

E-3 visa denial, ESTA blocked, B2 likely to be denied. Can I apply for a transit visa?

7 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts



I have had a holiday booked in the Caribbean in December for many months.


I was recently informed that as my E-3 visa application was denied, my ESTA has been blocked. It's highly unlikely I'll be approved a B2 visa, as my boyfriend is a US citizen. 


I emailed the US Customs and Border Protection Information Center who provided the information below. I have since spoken to an immigration attorney who informed me C1 Transit visas are for crew on ships and similar, not for individuals transiting the country to get to their final destination. 


I would really appreciate any insights, as it's a lot more expensive to transit through Canada or Central America. 


A foreign traveler transiting the United States is required to present a valid passport and valid In-Transit visa issued by a United States Consular Official.  The exceptions are if the traveler has a valid B1/B2 visitor visa, is a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) holding a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval, or a citizen of Canada.
Information about the VWP and ESTA is available on our official Web site at the following links: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/visa-waiver-program  https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/esta.
Please contact a United States embassy or consulate nearest you for information on applying for a C1 (In-Transit) visa:  https://www.usembassy.gov/.
B1/B2 Visitor visas
C1 Transit visas
Thanks so much!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, don't bother traveling through the US. Not with this "visa history".


(C1 visa is for everyone who just want to fly through the US.  C1/D visa is for crews.)


29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 


03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  


24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or marry your boyfriend & apply for a spousal visa. That process takes about a year, give or take a couple of months.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011


Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014


N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

C/D is likely to be a waste of time/money, go another way.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

US does not have isolated transit areas the same as other countries, so a “normal traveller” (non crew) transit has basically the same requirements as a B visa. So unfortunately you may have to bite the bullet and take the more expensive route there.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for the advice. Obviously it's not what I had hoped to hear but it's better to find out now that go to the trouble of applying for a C1 transit visa. 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.