hashtagme

Expedite naturalization b/c military spouse overseas - questions

136 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, R&OC said:

Hashtagme, I wish you all the best for your interview and hope all goes smoothingly.

I have a question as I am super nervous about starting my process of the expedited naturalisation in a few months (once the BBG is approved).

Would you be able to help me with my application if I should run into questions? I hope you will still be checking the forum once in a while... I am not sure why I am so nervous... all this paperwork is really getting to me.

Hey :)

thank you for your sweet words and wishes. I am so very very nervous myself and i hope it all goes well.. there’s so much that can go wrong 😱 

I am not an expert for the N400 but I’m willing to help of course! I can always tell how I filled it out... if it’s all approved 🙂

Trust me, I’ve been nervous ever since we started it and it’s just getting worse. I hope it’ll our works out and i can finally calm down lol 

And I hope the same for you! :) 

Filed: Timeline

I am in the process of filing an expedited N400 online for my wife before we PCS to Germany, I'm hoping everyone can help with some questions I have.

-She has her 10yr Green Card and has met the 3yr residency requirement, my understanding is she can do the oath/interview in Germany, is this accurate?

-We report in August, should we file now or wait until we are in Germany? I don't want the packet to get lost once we move overseas (she just got placed on my orders)

My list of documents to upload, please let me know if I'm missing anything

-PCS orders w/spouse listed

-Copy of Green Card front/back

-Marriage Certificate

-My birth certificate

-Evidence of Marriage (tax documents, bank accounts etc)

-Evidence of her name change (her 10yr green card has been changed to the new name, but submitting anyway)

-Sworn statement to reside in US after leaving Germany

-Cover letter to expedite under 319(b)

-Fingerprints (?) would I mail this after the online application is accepted?

Also, are there any issues being a dual citizen between USA/Canada?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Edited by nuggetjp05

47 minutes ago, nuggetjp05 said:

I am in the process of filing an expedited N400 online for my wife before we PCS to Germany, I'm hoping everyone can help with some questions I have.

-She has her 10yr Green Card and has met the 3yr residency requirement, my understanding is she can do the oath/interview in Germany, is this accurate?

-We report in August, should we file now or wait until we are in Germany? I don't want the packet to get lost once we move overseas (she just got placed on my orders)

My list of documents to upload, please let me know if I'm missing anything

-PCS orders w/spouse listed

-Copy of Green Card front/back

-Marriage Certificate

-My birth certificate

-Evidence of Marriage (tax documents, bank accounts etc)

-Evidence of her name change (her 10yr green card has been changed to the new name, but submitting anyway)

-Sworn statement to reside in US after leaving Germany

-Cover letter to expedite under 319(b)

-Fingerprints (?) would I mail this after the online application is accepted?

Also, are there any issues being a dual citizen between USA/Canada?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

I think she can get naturalized at the US embassy in Germany and get her interview there if you are active duty. 

Edited by Lenchick

If she is eligible to have the interview and oath in Germany then It’s not 319b  she will fall under a different  section. ( Under section 319(e)(2) of the INA and 8 U.S.C. § 1443a) look here if she meets the requirements. 

https://www.uscis.gov/military/citizenship-family-members

I looked at your timeline. It seems you can apply under 319(a) and go through the whole process overseas provided you are active duty. If so, don’t file anything in the states. You will do it all at the local embassy in Germany and fingerprints too, then she won’t have to go to the states for the interview. If you are not active duty, then yes you can file under 319(b) right now. Sorry for bombarding you with multiple replies. Here is more information 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-i-chapter-9

EDE74050-61EA-41F6-868D-FF3EF2B5E5E9.jpeg

Thanks for that, I am active duty. I didn't realize she would be eligible for overseas naturalization, which she is, based on my reading and the USCIS military help line interpretation. 

My question is which is faster? Filing now under 319(b) and possibly being in Germany before it completes or waiting until August and filing under 319(a)?

Having to fly back isn't an issue if the processing times are vastly different. The military help line couldn't tell me if 319 (a) is still 'expedited' or if it is handled like a normal case (and the 12+ month processing time)

Edited by nuggetjp05

33 minutes ago, nuggetjp05 said:

Thanks for that, I am active duty. I didn't realize she would be eligible for overseas naturalization, which she is, based on my reading and the USCIS military help line interpretation. 

My question is which is faster? Filing now under 319(b) and possibly being in Germany before it completes or waiting until August and filing under 319(a)?

Having to fly back isn't an issue if the processing times are vastly different. The military help line couldn't tell me if 319 (a) is still 'expedited' or if it is handled like a normal case (and the 12+ month processing time)

You shouldn’t think of 319(b) as expedited in the sense of faster. It’s not. It only means that the residence requirements are waived. For example, someone who just got their green card  one day, and if all the requirements are met, they can file next day without being a resident for 3 years. I know that US embassies overseas usually process immigrant visas much much faster for the military community. I would guess it can be the same for naturalization  because they will process only the applications from the militaries. 

On 5/31/2019 at 4:34 PM, Lenchick said:

You shouldn’t think of 319(b) as expedited in the sense of faster. It’s not. It only means that the residence requirements are waived. For example, someone who just got their green card  one day, and if all the requirements are met, they can file next day without being a resident for 3 years. I know that US embassies overseas usually process immigrant visas much much faster for the military community. I would guess it can be the same for naturalization  because they will process only the applications from the militaries. 

Thanks for clearing that up. Unfortunately per the USCIS military helpline N400s are only processed in the US, we would have to send the packet to Chicago which stands at 8-16months processing time.  Is it correct that you can request a 319(b) to be processed at any USCIS field office? If so our plan is to request the Columbus office as we have family in the area and their timeline is 5-9months, and fly just back for the interview/oath. 

Also where can we get fingerprints done? Will 2 sets from a police station work? Thank you.  

28 minutes ago, nuggetjp05 said:

Thanks for clearing that up. Unfortunately per the USCIS military helpline N400s are only processed in the US, we would have to send the packet to Chicago which stands at 8-16months processing time.  Is it correct that you can request a 319(b) to be processed at any USCIS field office? If so our plan is to request the Columbus office as we have family in the area and their timeline is 5-9months, and fly just back for the interview/oath. 

Also where can we get fingerprints done? Will 2 sets from a police station work? Thank you.  

you probably got a little confused. They do not process. It only means that you file to one of USCIS lockbox and now they even accept it online, but they will forward the application with the appropriate overseas office in Germany and she will have the interview and the  oath ceremony overseas instead of traveling all the way to the states. But it is not under 319(b) which will not allow overseas naturalization. Read Form N-400, Application for Naturalization (For Military Abroad) here. https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/international-offices/germany-frankfurt-field-office  Just don't select 319(b) if you want your spouse to naturalize abroad. 

58 minutes ago, nuggetjp05 said:

refer to this one. It explains two rules in details and lists all the documents, also a cover letter sample https://www.jag.navy.mil/legal_services/documents/RLSO_EURAFSWA_N-400_Packet_for_Spouse_(April_2016).pdf

1 hour ago, Lenchick said:

refer to this one. It explains two rules in details and lists all the documents, also a cover letter sample https://www.jag.navy.mil/legal_services/documents/RLSO_EURAFSWA_N-400_Packet_for_Spouse_(April_2016).pdf

That Navy link clarifies quite a bit, thank you. Just so I understand this correctly:

-N400 packet is mailed to Chicago (Navy link says Nebraska but https://www.uscis.gov/n-400 "where to file" part 3 lists Chicago and so does USCIS helpline)

-Include in the cover letter to Chicago I am requesting 319(e) and list the frankfurt office where I want it processed  

-Send "Request for Overseas Processing.." form to the Rome email address 

- We can file now to start the process, we will be in Germany in August

5 minutes ago, nuggetjp05 said:

That Navy link clarifies quite a bit, thank you. Just so I understand this correctly:

-N400 packet is mailed to Chicago (Navy link says Nebraska but https://www.uscis.gov/n-400 "where to file" part 3 lists Chicago and so does USCIS helpline)

-Include in the cover letter to Chicago I am requesting 319(e) and list the frankfurt office where I want it processed  

-Send "Request for Overseas Processing.." form to the Rome email address 

- We can file now to start the process, we will be in Germany in August

well, this sheet is dated 2016. Maybe there are some changes in the mailing addresses. But you take the idea and change the other details that are outdated. Don't write to Rome. I found a new request form and where to send it. There is the email address of the US embassy in Frankfurt. Look here https://it.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/67/2016/09/DHS-MilitaryNaturalization1.pdf 

I found it on this website https://it.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/rome/sections-offices/dhs/uscis/n-400/

Strange, before they would list the same info on US embassy website in Germany. 

Here is the link that people do get naturalized in Germany. Here is the article from 2015 https://www.herald-union.com/naturalization-ceremony-welcomes-new-americans/

On 5/29/2019 at 8:49 PM, Hopeforthebest said:

I think you would write it yourself and have them notarize it. I really don’t see where it says sworn statement I think that’s extreme. I assumed it would be like an affidavit just saying that I will return to the states. I will go to my legal office and ask if anyone has ever come in with something like that to sign. 

I went by legal office today with a sworn statement prepared, basically saying that I will reside with my us citizen spouse in the US indefinitely after his employment abroad ends. The  soldier at legal witnessed me sign it and put a stamp/seal on it and signed it. 

He knew directly what I needed so I’m guessing it wasn’t the first time he did that.

Just wanted to let you know. It also was free. 

I will update this after my interview with obviously more info on what they requested to see from me right there.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
10 hours ago, hashtagme said:

I just wanted you all to know that I was just (well, today) sworn in as an US citizen. 🇺🇸

It was a nice ceremony and the interview wasn’t as bad as expected. 

Thank you for all the help here! 

Congrats!! I am really happy for you. Did they ask you for that sworn statement? 

Field Office: Seattle, WA

10/11/2016 - AOS Package Mailed 
10/14/2016 - Priority Date
11/18/2016 - Biometrics Done

1/21/2017 - EAD Card in hand

5/12/2017 - Interview Scheduled 

06/14/2017 - Interview done 

08/03/2017 - Conditional Green Card received 

N-400 (319b, Military Spouse Overseas) & i-751 Combo

04/30/2019 - ROC Package Mailed
05/10/2019 - Email notification 

05/14/2019 - Extension letter received

05/20/2019 - Priority date for N-400

06/18/2019 - Biometrics

09/23/2019 - Combo N-400 & ROC interview

09/26/2019 -  Oath Ceremony :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.