hashtagme

Expedite naturalization b/c military spouse overseas - questions

136 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, R&OC said:

Hi everyone,

not sure if USCIS has already reviewed my application but the biometrics are accepted it seems. My USCIS account information says they are actively reviewing my application.

Let's hope all goes well. My husband and I are trying to plan for the whole family to come along to DC this summer. For those of you who filed via Fairfax, I am right to assume they slot your oath ceremony right after OR soon after the interview, right? So we wouldn't have to fly back again from overseas? How long did you wait until your interview invite was send out? I am slightly concerned that we are getting our mail really late due to our APO box.

I did it via Fairfax too. I had the interview on Monday and the oath on Tuesday. I could have had the Oath on Monday but I needed to redo my fingerprints - they couldn’t process the ones I sent in - no one knows why. So I redid them in VA about 30 away from the Fairfax office. They had the results next day and called me in for the oath that day. 
Once you’re an American you can’t leave the country without US passport so you have to go to DC to file for expedite passport which took 24 hours for me. If youre on overseas orders you have to leave the US within 45 days after oath back to the duty station overseas.

if you don’t have the BBG you will lose your german citizenship the day you are sworn in.i had the BBG but no one asked for it. To the US you are American only, they don’t recognize other nationalities after the oath. But for renewing the German passport the BBG will be needed.

Overall it was a smooth process. People were super friendly everywhere. The interview was relaxed, didn’t feel like an interview. Little smalltalk here and there and then the questions that needed to be asked by them. I filed in November and had my interview invite in May to schedule the appointment, I chose June because it was most convenient with work etc. We had all our mail through APO too, but the invite came as an email directly to me. 
i did call the military help line once in between to ask what the status of my application was because it seemed to take longer than expected, since we filed the expedite way/military. They pushed my application forward (according to them) and promised an answer within 2 weeks which I received then as the invite. 
I just wouldn’t book any flights before you got the actual notice to come for the interview.

Good luck :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.