jackyjimenez

OCTOBER AOS 2018 Filers

2,281 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, pending4ever said:

Hi all, I've been mostly silent on this forum but got a lot of help reading some of the posts here, especially the timelines so I want to share mine:

I came on J1 status and applied for AOS family based (wife is USC). Application was concurrent I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765. I also send the I-693 with the original package.

10/11/18: Package was received by USCIS

10/17/18: I-797s for all 4 forms

10/26/18: notice for biometrics appointment

11/16/18: biometrics appointment

11/29/18: fingerprint review was completed

02/20/19: RFIE regarding I-864

03/18/19: Sent response to RFIE

04/20/19: Interview ready to be scheduled

06/10/19: Interview was scheduled

06/21/19: EAD card being produced

06/28/19: Received EAD card

07/15/19: AOS Interview - approved

Now waiting for my green card and ssn to be sent to me. I assume I need to change my DL on my own?

If anyone has any questions I'm happy to answer in the next couple of days and then plan to disconnect from this issue for a couple of years :)

Good luck to anyone still waiting, hang in there.

You'll need to go and update your SSN one more time now that your GC has been approved as the "I765 auto-issuance" of that SSN will still state "valid for work with DHS authorization" and you need to get that removed.

You'll need to go update your DL if its about to expire, yes as the new expiry date on your DL can be that of your GC expiry. 

Not sure of your DL situation so I cant really offer more details as to why you would need to update it right now if it's not going to expire right away....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

We had our AOS interview in April and we were told they were a little slow in processing but expect to hear back in a couple months. we then got an RFE to re-review our case. [eye roll] . these things happen. But I distinctly remember our Officer saying he had everything he needed to make a decision.  We didn't send anything new, just had to resubmit, so those of you who are going to your interview, maybe bring as much evidence and paperwork as you can and insist on leaving it with the officer!  We had everything with us but he told us we didnt' need to give him anything new.  Now 3 months later we are just spending money sending all the information again.

50 minutes ago, Brian PC said:

Did we have to submit the I693 with the rest of the documents when we entered the country? I can’t seem to remember.

What do you mean?

For I485? Are you a K1?

Did you complete your medical abroad including all vaccines and file i485 within one year of your medical date?

Your overseas medical exam was enclosed in the K1 visa envelope and collected at your POE and sent to DHS for storage in your A-file for your AOS interview.

The I693 doesnt apply to K1s who followed the procedure. I693 is not part of our process or vocabulary.

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-3

4. K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:

• The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or 

• The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions. [27] 

If a new medical examination is required and reveals a Class A medical condition, a new waiver application will also be required. In such cases, the officer should determine whether the applicant complied with the terms and conditions of the first waiver, if applicable. Such determination should be given considerable weight in the adjudication of a subsequent waiver application. [28] 

Even if a new medical examination is not required, applicants must still comply with the vaccination requirements if the vaccination record was not included as part of the original medical examination report. If the vaccination report was properly completed at the time of the overseas examination, the officer may accept the vaccination assessment completed by the panel physician. 

An applicant’s overseas medical examination report completed by a panel physician should already be in the applicant’s A-file. If it is not in the A-file, the officer should request the medical examination report through a Request for Evidence (RFE).

6 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

What do you mean?

For I485? Are you a K1? Yes for both.

Did you complete your medical abroad including all vaccines and file i485 within one year of your medical date? Yes for both.

Your overseas medical exam was enclosed in the K1 visa envelope and collected at your POE and sent to DHS for storage in your A-file for your AOS interview.

The I693 doesnt apply to K1s who followed the procedure. I693 is not part of our process or vocabulary. Thanks! This is what I couldn’t seem to remember. I do have some scans (chest x-ray I’m guessing) in a sealed envelope that I need to submit at the interview. Thanks for the info!

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-3

4. K or V Nonimmigrants Applying for Adjustment [26]

K and V nonimmigrants applying for adjustment of status are not required to repeat the medical examination if the application was filed within one year of the date of the original medical examination, and:

• The medical examination did not reveal a Class A medical condition; or 

• The applicant received a conditional waiver in conjunction with the K or V nonimmigrant visa or the change of status to V and the applicant submits evidence of compliance with the waiver terms and conditions. [27] 

If a new medical examination is required and reveals a Class A medical condition, a new waiver application will also be required. In such cases, the officer should determine whether the applicant complied with the terms and conditions of the first waiver, if applicable. Such determination should be given considerable weight in the adjudication of a subsequent waiver application. [28] 

Even if a new medical examination is not required, applicants must still comply with the vaccination requirements if the vaccination record was not included as part of the original medical examination report. If the vaccination report was properly completed at the time of the overseas examination, the officer may accept the vaccination assessment completed by the panel physician. 

An applicant’s overseas medical examination report completed by a panel physician should already be in the applicant’s A-file. If it is not in the A-file, the officer should request the medical examination report through a Request for Evidence (RFE). Perfect, thank you! 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Getting a bit paranoid about my trip to Mexico (business visit/ conference) with the Advance Parole/ EAD combo card. 2 days back I got the Mexican Visa from the Mexican consulate (I have an Indian passport) . My company will be driving us through the border to the factory in Mexico for a 4 day conference.

Just wanted to know what I will have to expect during re-entry at the CBP crossing. Has anybody here re-entered the US by land with the AP? If yes, could you please describe the re-entry procedure?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Kinetic11 said:

Getting a bit paranoid about my trip to Mexico (business visit/ conference) with the Advance Parole/ EAD combo card. 2 days back I got the Mexican Visa from the Mexican consulate (I have an Indian passport) . My company will be driving us through the border to the factory in Mexico for a 4 day conference.

Just wanted to know what I will have to expect during re-entry at the CBP crossing. Has anybody here re-entered the US by land with the AP? If yes, could you please describe the re-entry procedure?

Arrive at the CBP crossing point. Present your passport and AP card. Answer any questions asked as per usual entry into US. Cross the border . Go home 

1 hour ago, Kinetic11 said:

You could be sent to secondary inspection. They could issue a paper I-94. Nothing to worry about. 

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

@Brian PC

"Thanks! This is what I couldn’t seem to remember. I do have some scans (chest x-ray I’m guessing) in a sealed envelope thatI need to submit at the interview. Thanks for the info!"

The XRay CD is your personal copy of your XRay results.

The results (of no TB) was already included in your sealed medical packet and is now in your A-file.

The only thing you would have submitted with your i485 was a photocopy of your ds-3025 vaccination record. Then you'll bring your personal copy of the same to the AOS interview.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Timeline
57 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You could be sent to secondary inspection. They could issue a paper I-94. Nothing to worry about. 

Thank you. That helps a lot.:)

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lil bear said:

Arrive at the CBP crossing point. Present your passport and AP card. Answer any questions asked as per usual entry into US. Cross the border . Go home 

Phew! Okay. Not sure why I get so paranoid about such things. Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Kinetic11 said:

Phew! Okay. Not sure why I get so paranoid about such things. Thank you!

It’s understandable. There’s a lot riding on these processes.. 

We're at 33 days since USCIS got our response to their second request for evidence and we're still waiting. I saw that the inquiry date has now reached November 18th, a full month past my receipt date (Oct 18), yet I've heard absolutely nothing from USCIS and we're still within their 60 day period before we can submit an inquiry. All this extra delay from a 2nd RFE because of a birth certificate. What a joke.

11/12/2017 - Entered US on J1
10/18/2018 - Filed AOS at NBC
12/11/2018 - Biometrics
02/28/2019 - USCIS mailed RFIE on I485
05/09/2019 - USCIS received RFIE response
06/11/2019 - USCIS mailed another RFIE on I485
06/19/2019 - USCIS received 2nd RFIE response
07/24/2019 - I485 ready to schedule for interview
01/22/2020 - I485 interview (in San Jose instead of San Francisco)

Well this is something:

image.png.88f893dca6695816af97fc0d3e075e04.png

It's not the EAD yet, but at least it's progress!

Spoke with my lawyer, and he said the EAD should be in the next few days (we're currently at day 279), and he also said that it's possible (not guarenteed) that the interview will get scheduled in August/Sept to happen in Sept/Oct. That part suprised me, as I thought that it was only once you get the "ready to schedule" notice, you start the waiting time as shown for the I485 at the local office, which for San Francisco is 17-22 months?

11/12/2017 - Entered US on J1
10/18/2018 - Filed AOS at NBC
12/11/2018 - Biometrics
02/28/2019 - USCIS mailed RFIE on I485
05/09/2019 - USCIS received RFIE response
06/11/2019 - USCIS mailed another RFIE on I485
06/19/2019 - USCIS received 2nd RFIE response
07/24/2019 - I485 ready to schedule for interview
01/22/2020 - I485 interview (in San Jose instead of San Francisco)

3 hours ago, dr01d3k4 said:

That part suprised me, as I thought that it was only once you get the "ready to schedule" notice, you start the waiting time as shown for the I485 at the local office, which for San Francisco is 17-22 months?

No the wait time starts from your PD and includes the time it takes to be reviewed at the NBC.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.