Elsalove2016

Green card holder sponsor wife and child

11 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Elsalove2016 said:

Can a green card holder sponser his wife and baby and if he can how long does it take ? 

Easy answer - up to two years. If the GC holder becomes a citizen during that time, they can adjust the case which speeds up processing. 

* Moved from IR-1/CR-1 P&P To Bringing Family Members of LPRs forum *

1) On what basis did you get your green card? What year did you get it?

2) Roughly 1.5-2.5 years, depending on the visa bulletin / how many people who filed ahead of you actually get a visa, since they are limited per year.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Uruguay
Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

* Moved from IR-1/CR-1 P&P To Bringing Family Members of LPRs forum *

1) On what basis did you get your green card? What year did you get it?

2) Roughly 1.5-2.5 years, depending on the visa bulletin / how many people who filed ahead of you actually get a visa, since they are limited per year.

It’s not for me but someone I know his mother sponsor him years ago and now he is here with a green card he has only been in the country for 2 months but he has his pregnant girlfriend back in his country and he was wondering how long would it take him to be able to bring her here with a garden card .

7 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

Easy answer - up to two years. If the GC holder becomes a citizen during that time, they can adjust the case which speeds up processing. 

t’s not for me but someone I know his mother sponsor him years ago and now he is here with a green card he has only been in the country for 2 months but he has his pregnant girlfriend back in his country and he was wondering how long would it take him to be able to bring her here with a garden card .

3 minutes ago, Elsalove2016 said:

It’s not for me but someone I know his mother sponsor him years ago and now he is here with a green card he has only been in the country for 2 months but he has his pregnant girlfriend back in his country and he was wondering how long would it take him to be able to bring her here with a garden card .

t’s not for me but someone I know his mother sponsor him years ago and now he is here with a green card he has only been in the country for 2 months but he has his pregnant girlfriend back in his country and he was wondering how long would it take him to be able to bring her here with a garden card .

If that's the case, he should get married to her ASAP. Green card holders cannot sponsor fiances to come to the US. In order to start a petition, they will have the be married. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, GreatDane said:

If that's the case, he should get married to her ASAP. Green card holders cannot sponsor fiances to come to the US. In order to start a petition, they will have the be married. 

If he got married how long will it take him to bring his wife and child to the USA ? 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Same answer

I know if he was a citizen it will only take one year but he only has a green card so with a green card how long would it take him for his wife and child to be here ? Or would he have to wait until he became a citizen to bring them ? 

3 minutes ago, Elsalove2016 said:

I know if he was a citizen it will only take one year but he only has a green card so with a green card how long would it take him for his wife and child to be here ? Or would he have to wait until he became a citizen to bring them ? 

If they get married, it will take about two years to bring them over. Once he becomes a citizen, it drops to one year. However, to become a citizen, it takes five years of residency in the US just to apply (plus processing). He will not be able to become a citizen in time. His best bet is to get married ASAP and submit the paperwork right afterwards.

2 hours ago, Elsalove2016 said:

Geowrian already answered this in the third post, that’s why I said same answer. All are F2A category, spouse and children of green card holder.

8 hours ago, Elsalove2016 said:

Can a green card holder sponser his wife and baby and if he can how long does it take ? 

If he got married how long will it take him to bring his wife and child to the USA ? 

7 hours ago, Elsalove2016 said:

Hi @Elsalove2016,

Like already mentioned it will still take 1.5 to 2 years before his wife and child could get to the US. 

I don't know if you were seeking an answer for a faster way to bring them here when you repeated the question but, unfortunately, there is not faster way. It is an unfortunate situation that your friend is in because he now has a new family that he cannot be together with in the USA for some time. As @greatdane mentioned, he should go ahead and get married as soon as possible then file for them. Fortunately, he can go visit his girlfriend/fiance for the birth of their child and marriage.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.