Mark & Angelina

K1 assistance from Senators Expedite procedures

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all, 

Looking for feedback form anyone that has had assistance from their state senator.. i ask cause we are day 221 now...Since August 1st we have called the USCIS about 7 or 8 times.. Every time tier 2 told us we had an RFE. But it hadnt been sent out.. And there was no update on any of thier websites. So contacted our state senator on day 206..and they said they ca only help if the time exceeds normal processing time. So called them back on day 211 and they told us if we didnt receive anything by august 22nd they were gonna put a congressional exepdite request in. Got a cal from the senator on august 22nd and they said that they spoke with USCIS and they said the rfe was mailed out.. I decided to call the USCIS one more time.. and request them to fax us the RFE ( their policy is if rfe is issued, anytime after 16 days without receiving then can request it to be faxed ) ..They faxed the rfe 2 hours later.. and also told us the Senators office requested the case to be expedited...I dont believe in coincidence. so the USCIS didnt just decide to send it.. they were forced to.. 

My question is if the case is expedited does this also mean when they receive our rfe back that it will be expedited and taken care of immediately,  yes or no..and if yes does the expedite also go onto the nvc stage...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

The expedite will only get you thru USCIS faster, it will not speed up the NVC process, but once you get to NVC you will see things move pretty fast. I think my K1 was only at the NVC for a week before mailed on to the embassy. Check my timeline for the dates. I am not sure about the other half of your question, but most RFE's get taken care of quickly when they get the information back.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline

ok, we got the rfe on thursday.. they requested my criminal record from 29 years ago.. i drove to los angeles to get certified copy.. then sent it out saturday.. the tracking says its at the post office box awaiting to be picked up.. so im hope the senator expedite i got will make them read it faster and approve us...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I am at day 220 and I just emailed my Senators office a few hours ago. I will be happy to hear back from them. The waiting is getting expensive because I can only go so long before I have to fly and see him for a few days. It is frustrating to be stalled at the end of the process. We were told there was not an RFE. It is literally just sitting there. I hope that we both have resolution soon! 

Timeline

our case was very similar. but we were told at day 206 when called the USCIS that they issued a rfe. and then we called 8 ore times and each time the officer said something different.. it was in a limbo stage and wasnt moving. thats when we asked the senator for help and when the 7 month processing time was exceeded is when they requested to expedite it.this wait does suck. my fiancee is in philippines i am in las vegas.. its not easy to go see her..very costly.. and now its been over 8 months since seen her last.

Filed: Timeline

Did they say you were approved for the expedite or just that one was filed. Just because the senator submits it doesnt mean it will be approved. What was the basis for the expedite?

USCIS says RFE response time is apx 80 days. If they are expediting you it will be sooner. If they are not you should expect to wait the 80 days if not longer. (sorry) At least theres facetime?

Timeline

We had no status update on our case.. The USCIS told us and the senator that there was a rfe pending but was not officially issued. we were beyond the normal processing time and the Senates office said they were gonna request a expedite.. i dont believe n coincidence. The senates office called me on August 22nd saying it was sent ... i called the uscis and they said that the senators office requested the case to be expedited.. and boom it was sent...and the USCIS even faxed it to me..  that is to coincidental.

Ok I understand you.

So you do not know if they approved your expedite.

Sometimes when the senator or obudsman contacts them it gets things moving. Thats not the same thing as an expedite. Its more like a nudge to work on your case. Expediting is a specific process USCIS has and you have to apply for it and get approved. You need to demonstrate you meet one of the qualifications to expedite.. When approved they will work on your case outside of normal order to get it done and wont stop until its done. A nudge is usually just a one time prod to get things going but no guarantee it will keep moving quickly.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Look into flying out of LAX to the Philippines. Round trip around 500 bucks most of the time. I do the same thing to go to Thailand. I'm going in November to finally bring her back with me on a K1 also. Lots of cheap flights to Manilla I see all the time. My round trip was a little over 500 dollars, but some miles brought it down to like 350 round trip. You don't want to drive to LAX, parking is outrageous. All you do is take the Megabus out of the SSTT cat bus terminal for 1 dollar to Union station in Los Angeles and then you run the Red to the Blue, to the Green line to the airport. I take the bus both ways, and the rapid both ways from Las Vegas I spend about 10-12 bucks round trip to get to LAX. More than a good deal because on top of that I'm saving hundreds on the flight. Takes some time, 6 hour bus ride and 45 min rapid ride so you have to plan ahead, but it works out.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline

Yes lax sucks. I been there many times. As far as picking up my girl. Don't think will have the budget to get her. Already bought some airfare gift cards for her to come. When in a budget have to save anyway can. Getting her will be easy. Park at the parking area across from Tom Bradley terminal. Walk across the street then wait for her to come up. Probably gonna a stay in la a few days. Want to get Disneyland out of the way do was thinking of taking her there. Hoping my rfe gets approved this week. So hoping to fly her out later October or early November. Got family in West la and can stay with them. And u r right. Airfare to manila is very cheap. Last November was only $450 roundtrip

Timeline

you mention the senator will nudge the uscis vs request to expedite. if they do request to expedite. how lond does that take to be expedited? also from what i have noticed not many people are successful at getting assistance from senator.So if a senator i talking to me offering to expedite case then i am one of the fortunate ones?

If something was submitted to expedite it would show on your case status. received/processing/assigned to officer etc/  the case status is not always accurate. Check with the senators office and ask if they filed for an expedite and a copy of what it said as the basis. They try to make a decision on an expedite request rather quickly. Maybe 2 weeks top. You may be asked for more evidence which will add time. 

Timeline

ok..i ask cause they got the uscis to mail my rfe.  i was even able to get the uscis to fax it to me.. i responded 2 days later.. the senator office asked me to call them back when i got response.. so i called them yesterday and left a message for the lady assigned to our case and she said thy are required to give the uscis 1 week to process the response. and if i didnt hear an answer within that time then to call the senators office on this coming monday and they will request to expedite the case.. i think this is a good thing..yes or no?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Some off-topic posts have been removed by request.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.