dr0wsydruid

Joint Bank Account when we HAVEN'T started the CR1 process yet

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Heyo! My husband (US) and I (Canada) are looking into gathering more proof for our application. We have tons of travel stuff and all that, but he and I both very much want to open a joint bank account. (Largely because I'll be helping save for the i130 and the i129f that we plan to file come October.) 
The only issue, is that Chase bank (where my husband banks) refuses to let me either sign up for a joint account WITH him, OR be added to his current account. They keep saying we need me to have a residence in the US, and prove that I have it by having a bill in my name or something similar. I obviously don't have that stuff. 
Do you guys know which bank we CAN open a joint account with that'll allow me to be part of it regardless of me not living in the US yet? Even if he has to open it himself, and then add me to it, that would be fine.
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this question--if it is, lemme know, and I'll try to fix it. 
Thanks!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Tax & Finances During US Immigration forum.***

**Moderator hat off**

10 minutes ago, aestherisms said:

(Largely because I'll be helping save for the i130 and the i129f that we plan to file come October.) 

Don't bother filing the I-129F, the only form (along with accompanying documentation) that will need to be filed is the I-130.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Wells Fargo allowed me to open an account when I was just a student in the US. I showed them my Canadian passport because I had no American issued ID obviously but I can't remember if I showed them my I-20 (official paper proving US student visa status). Perhaps your husband can give them a call or visit and ask.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Ryan H said:

***Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Tax & Finances During US Immigration forum.***

**Moderator hat off**

Thank you thank you! I'm very new here and couldn't find the right place. 

Don't bother filing the I-129F, the only form (along with accompanying documentation) that will need to be filed is the I-130.

The I-129F is so that I can work and live there while my I-130 is processing, I thought? We've been together 4 years, married 10 months now, and we don't wanna have to wait another 13 months to be together when my I-130 finally goes through all the way.
My info could be all wrong, though. And this again, could not be the place for this conversation? Maybe? I don't wanna make a mess on your forum omg. 

Thanks for your reply either way, I really appreciate it! ❤️

52 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Opened a bank account with then boyfriend/now husband during one of my visits.  Smaller local bank was an easy process. Try with a credit union or smaller bank. 

You're a gem, thank you so much. We'll look into it at smaller places! ❤️

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
1 minute ago, aestherisms said:

The I-129F is so that I can work and live there while my I-130 is processing, I thought? We've been together 4 years, married 10 months now, and we don't wanna have to wait another 13 months to be together when my I-130 finally goes through all the way.
My info could be all wrong, though. And this again, could not be the place for this conversation? Maybe? I don't wanna make a mess on your forum omg. 

Thanks for your reply either way, I really appreciate it! ❤️

Doesn't work that way, procedures that are currently in place at USCIS and the State Department have rendered the K3 visa (the end result of filing the I-129F after the I-130) virtually unobtainable.  Using current processing times as a guideline, plan on at least 12 months from the time the I-130 is filed to the time a visa interview takes place and count your blessings if the time it ultimately takes for your case is less than that.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline
1 hour ago, mushroomspore said:

Wells Fargo allowed me to open an account when I was just a student in the US. I showed them my Canadian passport because I had no American issued ID obviously but I can't remember if I showed them my I-20 (official paper proving US student visa status). Perhaps your husband can give them a call or visit and ask.

!!! Perfect, we'll definitely check with WF too. Thanks for your reply! ❤️

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ryan H said:

Doesn't work that way, procedures that are currently in place at USCIS and the State Department have rendered the K3 visa (the end result of filing the I-129F after the I-130) virtually unobtainable.  Using current processing times as a guideline, plan on at least 12 months from the time the I-130 is filed to the time a visa interview takes place and count your blessings if the time it ultimately takes for your case is less than that.

...Well heck. 
I don't remember the name of it, but isn't there a thing we can do where I go to the states, and we file the I-130 and something else, and I can stay in the states? I could swear it involves the phrase 'adjustment of status', but I really can't recall anything more, and wouldn't know where to begin looking. 
Thanks! ❤️

55 minutes ago, aestherisms said:

...Well heck. 
I don't remember the name of it, but isn't there a thing we can do where I go to the states, and we file the I-130 and something else, and I can stay in the states? I could swear it involves the phrase 'adjustment of status', but I really can't recall anything more, and wouldn't know where to begin looking. 
Thanks! ❤️

I think you are confusing K1 and CR1.

K1 is a fiance(e) visa and is used to enter the US with the intention of marrying your American fiance(e) within 90 days. After that, you file adjustment of status papers (green card). When adjustment is done, you get the green card and become a permanent resident. I believe K1 involves the I-129f.

CR1 is the spousal visa (must already be married) and involves no adjustment of status. Once CR1 is granted, the immigrant enters the US and is a permanent resident upon arrival. Physical green card arrives 2-3 weeks after.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

I think you are confusing K1 and CR1.

K1 is a fiance(e) visa and is used to enter the US with the intention of marrying your American fiance(e) within 90 days. After that, you file adjustment of status papers (green card). When adjustment is done, you get the green card and become a permanent resident. I believe K1 involves the I-129f.

CR1 is the spousal visa (must already be married) and involves no adjustment of status. Once CR1 is granted, the immigrant enters the US and is a permanent resident upon arrival. Physical green card arrives 2-3 weeks after.

I probably am, tbh! 
I looked on the USCIS website, and at this link here, under that 'Can my spouse come to the United States [etc]' box, it says I can do both? That's why we were gonna do the i-130 and then the i-129f, but now I don't know because of the replies here. 
This is all so very confusing to me, and I'm really afraid of doing it wrong. 
Thanks for your reply! ❤️

10 minutes ago, aestherisms said:

I probably am, tbh! 
I looked on the USCIS website, and at this link here, under that 'Can my spouse come to the United States [etc]' box, it says I can do both? That's why we were gonna do the i-130 and then the i-129f, but now I don't know because of the replies here. 
This is all so very confusing to me, and I'm really afraid of doing it wrong. 
Thanks for your reply! ❤️

That is outdated information. K3 visas are not issued anymore because they want to make the system more efficient. Read this for a full understanding of the spousal visa. You guys can't do K1 since you're already married. CR1 is your only option.

K3's are only granted about .01% of the time.  Don't waste your time.

You can open an account in Canada and in the USA and add your husband onto your US account if you wish.  RBC does these cross border banking accounts.  (I have one, so I know.) TD also does them  I find RBC easier simply because I had zero issues starting a credit card in the USA with my SIN and Canadian credit score after I started working down here.  

You need a form called a w8-ben to be added onto a US account as a non-resident alien.  Get your husband to specifically ask a bank manager about that form and to add you onto an account.  The teller will have no clue.  Military banks do it all the time but they're used to foreign spouses. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Also you are currently in Canada correct?  So adjustment of status (which would be required for the K3 btw) is only for people who are present in the USA.  You cannot intend to enter the USA to adjust status.  (they allow this in Canada, they do not in the USA.) It is fraud. 

The CR1, while it takes longer, is the superior visa to the K3 in every way.  I've seen 1 K3 go through Canada since 2012.  One other person tried and it was sent back by Montreal to be processed as a CR1.  (Montreal is where you will be interviewing btw.) The K3 takes about 1 month less than the CR1 and is half the visa and twice the cost. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Damn, you have things severely confused. You can't file any I129f, since you're already married.

This is the only guide you should be following - http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

1 minute ago, Roel said:

Damn, you have things severely confused. You can't file any I129f, since you're already married.

This is the only guide you should be following - http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Actually you can if you are attempting a K3.  But since they're so rarely granted it's really a waste of time and effort. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.