TomD

B1 Visa for UP Graduate from Philippines

19 posts in this topic

My wife is Filipino. She is US Citizen same as me.  Her niece which she raised will be graduating with a BS degree from UP Los Banos next year.  She has a 3.5 + GPA and is not married or with children.  She would like to attend a College here in the US to achieve her Masters Degree. I know the process but because the Philippines is what it is I am concerned that she will not be granted a visa because of her age, sex, and marital status.  We are willing to support her while she is attending College.  Has anyone had similar experience getting a relative a B1 from the philippines. Can anyone give us any advise which might help her attend school here.  Thanks 

Signed, Sealed and Delivered!

-NOA 2 Receipt date: July 14, 2010

NVC JOURNEY

- NVC Case Number Assigned 7/28/10

- AOS bill and Agent forms received & Paid 8/03/10

- Email DS 3032 8/04/10

- AOS Package Delivered to NVC 8/9/10

- IV Bill Received & Paid; 8/11/10

- IV Pack Received at NVC 8/16/10

- IV Pkg Entered into AVR System 8/19/10

- NVC SIF 9/9/10

- Case Complete, 9/13/10 w/questions on lack of income

- NVC Forwards Case to Embassy, Manila

- Waiting Medical completed 10/27/10

- Interview Date 11/3/10 Wife didn't have NSO Marriage Certificate, No Approval OMG!!!

- NSO Certificate received by Embassy on 11/5/2010

- Informed by call center. Cost $18 Information received- we need to wait 6-8 weeks from Nov 5th FUBAR.

- VISA APPROVED 12/15/2010

- Wife arrived in US Feb 2, 2011... :)

If she is seeking to attend college here in the US then a B1 (Business visa) is not the right visa for her. What she will need is an F1 visa.

She will need proof of being accepted into a University and proof of being able to pay (usually by showing available funds to pay for tuition).

Keep in mind that a F1 visa is NOT dual intent. That means it is not for people who intend on immigrating to the US. She is allowed to remain in the US as long as she is a student. Once that is over (or if she drops out of school), she either has to return to her country or find another means of keeping legal status in the US. 

ETA: She will also not be authorized for work on a student visa.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Not b1 visa. That's for business. 

She needs a student visa. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/student-visa.html

Well she needs to prove non-immigrant intent and that she can finance her school and that's most important. If you have a spare 20.000$ to 50.000$ then you can act as her sponsor. 

Hope you and her are aware that she will not be allowed to work on student visa. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Thanks All , I appreciate your input.  Guess I misread the B1 so I will look into the FI.  No problem with the $50K as I would be sponsoring her and she isn't looking to live here although things change.  I think it would be near impossible for her to get here any other way because of her status, lack of funds, no property etc which you would expect from someone so young. 

Thanks again for the links and help .  Enjoy the summer. 

NVC JOURNEY

- Email DS 3032 8/04/10

- NVC SIF 9/9/10

- Interview Date 11/3/10 Wife didn't have NSO Marriage Certificate, No Approval OMG!!!

- Informed by call center. Cost $18 Information received- we need to wait 6-8 weeks from Nov 5th FUBAR.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Before she can get into a credible master's degree program in the U.S., she needs to make sure her foreign degree is acceptable. Although not usually a problem, many universities require the foreign student to submit their transcripts to a credentialing service. (http://www.naces.org/). This is especially true in the medical and technology field. I know of many schools that also require some ESL classes (for students with poor English skills). Foreign students cannot use U.S.-based student loans, but can sometimes get a break on tuition. I went to grad school with several foreign students that were able to get a good deal on tuition - it's up to the school (and must be within federal law). Private schools can be more creative, but they are also more expensive. Schools admit foreign grad students because it's culturally enriching and most importantly, it's very profitable. Foreign students pay a lot for our grad schools, while Americans generally pay very little. Most U.S. master's students (depending on the program) don't pay tuition, opting instead to teach or do research while in school. My tuition was waived and I was actually paid $10k per year to teach undergrad. Foreigners can't do this.

Great information thanks for sharing. She is attending UP which I believe is accredited. I have ask her to send me her curriculum with her grades if possible. This documentation is only to use during initial discussions. As we are now living in Florida. I will be looking for a school nearby our home. Gainsville is only 1 hr away. Hopefully language will not be an issue because English is spoken and schools are taught in English although they do mistake meaning sometimes. Im hoping it’s not cost prohibitive. 

NVC JOURNEY

- Email DS 3032 8/04/10

- NVC SIF 9/9/10

On 8/15/2018 at 4:17 PM, Jojo92122 said:

3.  Apply for F1 student visa and must show that she intends to return home after finishing her studies.  She would not be denied a visa based on age, sex, or marital status because it's illegal and there are plenty of young single women her age enrolled as international students in the US.  She would be denied for not showing that she is a serious student, lacks the funds, or can not overcome the presumption of immigrant intent.  

This is the difficult part in my view. Overcoming a presumption of intent because a typical young person has little to show other than their family. As material things usually come to most of us later in life. Don’t think for a minute sex, age and marital status are not important. Why else would they ask the question. They would not quote it as the basis for refusing a visa but I would bet it’s a factor. These agents are no different than anybody else and I would bet looks matter also. Thanks for your response. 

NVC JOURNEY

- Email DS 3032 8/04/10

- NVC SIF 9/9/10

1 hour ago, TomD said:

These agents are no different than anybody else and I would bet looks matter also. 

What, uglier people get visas easier? Rotfl... and I thought I’d seen it all on here already :jest:

2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

What, uglier people get visas easier? Rotfl... and I thought I’d seen it all on here already :jest:

Not looking an argument or exchanging insults.  I simply was implying that even if there are laws against discrimination it still occurs. That was in regards to sex, age and marital status. Then I stated appearances would also be a factor. If you don’t agree that fine. You’re the one who leaped to uglier, which never entered my mind. Take care Susieqqq.

NVC JOURNEY

- Email DS 3032 8/04/10

- NVC SIF 9/9/10

16 hours ago, TomD said:

Not looking an argument or exchanging insults.  I simply was implying that even if there are laws against discrimination it still occurs. That was in regards to sex, age and marital status. Then I stated appearances would also be a factor. If you don’t agree that fine. You’re the one who leaped to uglier, which never entered my mind. Take care Susieqqq.

Ok then, if I leaped to the wrong conclusion, please explain how looks influence the decision of the interviewing officer? 

Rumor has it that blue shirts get visas. ;)

There's certainly bias from individuals and people who violate laws and policies at every level. However, there's no data in support of conclusions that one's looks influence the decision making process.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Just now, geowrian said:

Rumor has it that blue shirts get visas. ;)

There's certainly bias from individuals and people who violate laws and policies at every level. However, there's no data in support of conclusions that one's looks influence the decision making process.

Irrational justifications sometimes make people feel better about refusals, though.

Filed: Timeline
16 hours ago, TomD said:

Bwaaaaaa!!!!!!!

My niece is an international college student.  She had two fellow international students over for the weekend.  Being young single women didn't stop them from getting student visas.  

4 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Ok then, if I leaped to the wrong conclusion, please explain how looks influence the decision of the interviewing officer? 

Have you ever drove down a road and saw someone holding a sign will work for food . That’s looks. Have you ever spent time in jail and someone next to you has tats from head to toe. That’s looks . Susie have you ever been to Hamburger Mary’s in the mission district that’s looks. Of course you would not draw a conclusion from any of these situations. Ever walk through GGP and ... Well you get the idea . 

NVC JOURNEY

- Email DS 3032 8/04/10

- NVC SIF 9/9/10

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.