2,056 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, salhasl said:

I read it. Its a proposed order, so the judge has not yet ruled. They talk about the future course of action, and its well into 2020. Court cases like this one take a long time. A really long time. I would be very surprised if anything concrete came out of this lawsuit in 2019. But I could be wrong. Anyone with access to pacer can read these btw. I think its like 6 pages so 60 cents. 

As much as your replies dishearten a few others on this thread, I think you have done your research and are well informed and looking at this situation realistically. Some might like a more hopeful outlook, but I appreciate the work you put in and your information sharing.

From one of the lawyers working on this case, I heard that the judge said in the dec 2018 hearing that they would be reaching a decision on this case in a relatively shorter time.

I guess in the court system, a decision by 2020 may still fit the definition of shortened time frame.

On 4/16/2019 at 6:35 PM, salhasl said:

You know, the part that sucks the most is the uncertainty. If they just said - AP will take 1.5 yrs - I'd be OK with it. I would be sad, but it would be bearable. Today, if you are a green card holder, you have to wait a bit longer than if you were a USC to get your spouse here. If you endup in Nebraska instead of Vermont for I-130, it takes longer. Just luck. Life give you lemons you make lemonade. But the problem with this lunacy is that it is a freaking blackhole. I just wish AP was allocated a well defined, reasonable, time frame like every other step in the process. I am all for National security - but it has to be fair. I wish Senator Chris Van Hollen could request the DOS to get this data out like he has with a lot of other data.

The other part that is absolutely insane is that they have banned IR's but F1s are fine. I suspect the universities have a strong lobby that stood to lose a lot of money from the F1 piggy bank and it got an exception added.  So If I were an international student on an F1, my iranian spouse would have been here in no time. But as a US citizen, I have to wait until god knows how long. Is it some how possible to easily vet F2 spouses but not USC spouses? I dont know why the lawsuits are not focusing on this aspect. If the DOS can vet spouses of F1 students without AP, why not spouses of USC's? 99% of the american public does not care. They dont even know this part. I wish media covered this angle more to expose how stupid this whole drama is. So much pain for no discernible benefit. 

I agree that it is insane that the mere fact that all immigrant and non-immigrant visas in iran have been halted on grounds of national security and extreme vetting of terrorists,  with exception for student and exchange visitor F, M and J visas totally refutes their entire argument that they are banning people from these countries due to their lack of information sharing. How is it they can get sufficient info on students but not others? How is it students, some with no other ties to the US other than wanting to come here to obtain a degree, are less of a national security risk than a family member of a united states citizen with significant ties trying to be reunited with their family?

If they can sufficiently screen them and allow them entry within a few months, then those seeking waivers of the ban should not be stuck in AP for years.

I wonder why they havent made mention of this either in the case

17 minutes ago, Anibunny said:

As much as your replies dishearten a few others on this thread, I think you have done your research and are well informed and looking at this situation realistically. Some might like a more hopeful outlook, but I appreciate the work you put in and your information sharing.

From one of the lawyers working on this case, I heard that the judge said in the dec 2018 hearing that they would be reaching a decision on this case in a relatively shorter time.

I guess in the court system, a decision by 2020 may still fit the definition of shortened time frame.

That was the decision to allow the case to proceed. That came quickly enough. The govt wanted it dismissed but they didnt prevail on that motion. I actually think the judiciary all the way to the SCOTUS believes immediate relatives should not be banned. I dont know if you remember but the supreme court itself ordered the govt to exclude immediate relatives (including fiances) from the second version of the ban. The third version was crafted with exceptional Schadenfreude - they knew they'd get past the supreme court by claiming there is a waiver for immediate relatives. Ofcourse, they never claimed they'd grant the waiver at the interview, and here we are. And the SCOTUS has shifted further to the right since. 

The one good thing I read in the stipulation is that the plaintiffs are asking for the internal documents were used to design this policy. The government might want to avoid some embarrassment here, and settle. For example, if they cannot legally justify why a F2 visa is exempt but an IR1 not. IANAL, but I actually think if they simply agree to add a narrow exception for spouse/kids, there might be some room for compromise. I dont know. But if they decide to fight it all the way through, we're looking at 2020.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

Guys, I love the points you are talking about; but can I get an explanation about who is going through the fight? 

I know there is an organization in CA who filed something called waiver litigation. 

I am wondering if we collectively can try to sue the government. Honestly, we can chip in and file as a group for spouse/fiance. I am not sure if this idea is feasible, but we need to do something as a group to make our voices heard . 

I am too hesitant to file WOM because it is an individual effort and it might go down the drain with negative results! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
1 hour ago, Anibunny said:

I agree that it is insane that the mere fact that all immigrant and non-immigrant visas in iran have been halted on grounds of national security and extreme vetting of terrorists,  with exception for student and exchange visitor F, M and J visas totally refutes their entire argument that they are banning people from these countries due to their lack of information sharing. How is it they can get sufficient info on students but not others? How is it students, some with no other ties to the US other than wanting to come here to obtain a degree, are less of a national security risk than a family member of a united states citizen with significant ties trying to be reunited with their family?

If they can sufficiently screen them and allow them entry within a few months, then those seeking waivers of the ban should not be stuck in AP for years.

I could not explain their hypocrisy and lying any better :) 

I just shared your argument with Pars Equality Center ; I am in touch with one of the managing attorneys in there. 

She also informed me the following: 

"There was a closed-door hearing this morning in Washington D.C. on the NO BAN Act that Pars and other Iranian American orgs have supported.  We had forwarded many questions, including the indefinite, opaque, arbitrary and capricious AP scheme.  We are waiting for the outcome of this hearing and the fate of the NO BAN Act."

so we will see guys. Continue to fight this ban and let's not give up! There are many good people with good hearts fighting for us too. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
28 minutes ago, salhasl said:

I actually think the judiciary all the way to the SCOTUS believes immediate relatives should not be banned.

Reference, please.....the SCOTUS has ruled.......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, Muhammad&Mansory said:

I could not explain their hypocrisy and lying any better :) 

I just shared your argument with Pars Equality Center ; I am in touch with one of the managing attorneys in there. 

She also informed me the following: 

"There was a closed-door hearing this morning in Washington D.C. on the NO BAN Act that Pars and other Iranian American orgs have supported.  We had forwarded many questions, including the indefinite, opaque, arbitrary and capricious AP scheme.  We are waiting for the outcome of this hearing and the fate of the NO BAN Act."

so we will see guys. Continue to fight this ban and let's not give up! There are many good people with good hearts fighting for us too. 

I have posted earlier about my reservations about this act. It has no hope of passing the Senate. And it will most certainly be vetoed if it did. I feel its counterproductive to fight the entire policy. They are fighting to repeal the entire thing. Including asylum refugees etc. If there is anything this administration hates more than immigrants its refugees and asylees. They will fight every effort. This president loves to make a deal. I think negotiations like reduced dv numbers for spousal exemption to the ban has a better chance. But the problem is the pain of this ban is concentrated on a few hundred people a month tops. Like even before the ban there were only 20 to 40 iranian irs and crs each month. This is next to nothing in larger scheme of things. Compare this to 100 thousand crossing in illegally from the south each month. 

I think senator van hollen was instrumental in getting statistics. Ultimately requiring transparency and accountability for the waiver process specifically around spouses and children of USCs is a better strategy. Emami vs neilsen is a good step but will take time.

Edited by salhasl

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
5 hours ago, Anibunny said:

“totally refutes their entire argument that they are banning people from these countries due to their lack of information sharing”

This is the question of the century. 

For this to make any sense, DHS would have to claim that banned countries cooperate immediately with information requests for student visas and the like, but stall on information requests for spousal and fiancé visas. Ridiculous.

This, combined with the fact I was recently informed that Canadian citizens originating from a currently banned country can enter the US freely with out the need for a visa or extra vetting, has me a bit baffled. Apparently their histories while in said banned countries does not need to be looked into. 

Hopefully in the near future cooler heads will prevail and a more sensible approach will be implemented in regards to US citizens just trying to get their loved ones home. 

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

3 minutes ago, JennaL said:

“totally refutes their entire argument that they are banning people from these countries due to their lack of information sharing”

This is the question of the century. 

For this to make any sense, DHS would have to claim that banned countries cooperate immediately with information requests for student visas and the like, but stall on information requests for spousal and fiancé visas. Ridiculous.

This, combined with the fact I was recently informed that Canadian citizens originating from a currently banned country can enter the US freely with out the need for a visa or extra vetting, has me a bit baffled. Apparently their histories while in said banned countries does not need to be looked into. 

Hopefully in the near future cooler heads will prevail and a more sensible approach will be implemented in regards to US citizens just trying to get their loved ones home. 

Precisely. The part that bothers me is that everyone who claims to be fighting on our behalf - lawsuits, congressional actions, news media - no one - seems to cover this aspect of this insanity.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
16 hours ago, stopnow2009 said:

My brother-in-law just had is interview on 4/16/2019 in Yerevan Armenia. He is a Iranian National under F2A (child of LPR). After his interview the consular gave him a form indicating that he is being considered for a waiver. However, as of 4/18/2019 NVC Case Status check (https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx) shows up as "REFUSED". Anyone in the same situation? I would think it should say "Administrative Processing"

@stopnow2009, Once you submit the background information they requested (email addresses, work history, etc) they will change it from refused to administrative processing.  Send in the info! :)

NOA1: 26 July 2017

NOA2: 2 February 2018

NVC Received: 13 February 2018

NVC Case # Assigned: 22 February 2018

NVC Left: 27 February 2018

Consulate Received: 1 March 2018

Packet 3 Received: 10 March 2018

Packet 3 Sent: 8 October 2018 (we delayed intentionally)

Interview: 31 October 2018

Currently in AP!!! :(

Timeline
34 minutes ago, S&Wally said:

Hello, 

Does anyone knows how to submit documents to Aramex. I was told to redo medical and good of conduct and passport. My question is, do I suppose to put them all in one folder and should write anything on the folder?

Thanks 

@S&Wally, what nationality is your wife/husband/fiance(e)?

hi guys i don't know if this is a good news i thought to not share then  again thought of sharing it  there was no update for the last 9 months on my case  a complete 9 months i send an inquiriy  regarding on my visa in uae  consulate  i had an email that got answered  saying we will contact  you soon as there is any update  until that time any emails solely for status updates will not be answered ....   and this was the first time that wasn't an automtically reply ...  and when i checked ceac  today morning  it says last update was today ... so what do you guys think  am a somalian passport holder cr1 incase you guys are wondering 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, simplykay said:

hi guys i don't know if this is a good news i thought to not share then  again thought of sharing it  there was no update for the last 9 months on my case  a complete 9 months i send an inquiriy  regarding on my visa in uae  consulate  i had an email that got answered  saying we will contact  you soon as there is any update  until that time any emails solely for status updates will not be answered ....   and this was the first time that wasn't an automtically reply ...  and when i checked ceac  today morning  it says last update was today ... so what do you guys think  am a somalian passport holder cr1 incase you guys are wondering 

It's normal for CEAC to update whenever they respond to an email you send them. We're nearly to six months in AP... 9 for you?  Ugh :(

10 hours ago, NJ515 said:

It's normal for CEAC to update whenever they respond to an email you send them. We're nearly to six months in AP... 9 for you?  Ugh :(

I have sent 2 or 3 emails inquiring about case status within last 7 months that i didnt see any case status updates. They replied to my emails each time but there was no case status updates. Have also been in AP 9 months now.

So that is a good sign at least for you simplykay

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.