ManOnMoon

How to Extend NOA2 Notice Period/K-1 Visa?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Hi there, I received my noa2 for my k-1 visa on 7/20 and the expiration date on is it 11/20. I have not done an interview or anythng yet nor do I think the case has reached Hong Kong my country. 

I need to stay in Hong Kong a bit longer to wrap up a huge work project and was wondering how could I go about extending either my NOA2 notice period or K-1 visa?

Thanks! Let me know if there's any clarification necessary on my question. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you are issued the k1 Visa it will expire 6 months after the date of your medical. So try to schedule your medical/interview in November before your validity ends and you will be good until April or so. Do you need more time than that?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

If you are issued the k1 Visa it will expire 6 months after the date of your medical. So try to schedule your medical/interview in November before your validity ends and you will be good until April or so. Do you need more time than that?

I also heard that you can call uscis to extend it or talk to the embassy/consulate in Hong Kong to do so as well?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
7 minutes ago, ManOnMoon said:

I also heard that you can call uscis to extend it or talk to the embassy/consulate in Hong Kong to do so as well?

if you needed to be longer time to extend your visa, should have gone CR-1 since it takes around 14-16 month for the whole process. K-1 is for the fastest reunion with your fiance.  

your noa-2 is god for 4 months. your medical can be delayed to almost the end of the noa-2 and then get your interview. that gives the most amount of time before your k-1 is issued and then you have up to 6 months to enter at POE

Edited by Alabamak1

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline
On 8/9/2018 at 7:17 PM, EandH0904 said:

Hi I just found out that I need to extend it longer than 6 months, my consulate is in Hong Kong, do you have any further advice on how to do so or who I should try to contact?

Timeline
Just now, ManOnMoon said:

Hi I just found out that I need to extend it longer than 6 months, my consulate is in Hong Kong, do you have any further advice on how to do so or who I should try to contact?

I would start with talking to the consulate....you would have to do your medical again....but one might make the argument that if it;s been a year since you had your interview - do you really want to get married? Why do you have to delay it so long?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, EandH0904 said:

I would start with talking to the consulate....you would have to do your medical again....but one might make the argument that if it;s been a year since you had your interview - do you really want to get married? Why do you have to delay it so long?

We filed and got approved on 7/23/2018, we have until 11/23/2018 to do the interview and medical which we have not started yet, we're hoping to extend that 11/23/2018 date to like 7/23/2019 due to wrapping up work project 

Timeline
2 hours ago, ManOnMoon said:

We filed and got approved on 7/23/2018, we have until 11/23/2018 to do the interview and medical which we have not started yet, we're hoping to extend that 11/23/2018 date to like 7/23/2019 due to wrapping up work project 

Maybe it's me being dumb but I would just quit the work project and go get married....that was the point of the K1? Moving to the US to get married? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I was in the same predicament last year....albeit different circumstances....

I received my NOA2 on July 19, 2017 and could not find an appointment for an interview.....my fiance’s interview was on October 25, he traveled to the USA on November 15 (4 days before the NOA2 expired). 

If you would like to extend the process for a few months (to finish some work) then I would schedule the interview as far as possible in the future within the time frame of the NOA2. You will need to contact the USCIS and/or consulate if scheduling after the expiration of the NOA2 to get an extension.

After receiving the visa your fiancé has 6 months to travel to the USA (from the date of the medical exam) In total....that gives you about 10 months....if you need more time than that, you need to cancel this k1 and start anew (or get married and file for the CR1)

I seriously doubt you can extend the NOA2 for a year....

Edited by janet3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello!
most of the consulates have the possibility to extend the expiration date of NOA2,  over the initial 4 months ...
leaving your country and changing your life is a big step, so they are usually flexible about choosing the day of the interview
obviously in your case it's about 1 year later ... so I would not be sure

Edited by Ivan871

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Hi, today my case has finally been set to ready!

After we received our NOA2 the NVC sent the case back to the USCIS for another review.

They never told my fiancee and me until my fiancee started calling them.

At some point the USCIS told her it was going to take another 6 months.

With that in mind I decided to visit her sooner for 80 days starting next month.

The NOA2 is going to expire in November but I will not be in the country at that time.

I had a medical appointment booked but decided to cancel it when I heard it was taking another 6 months to avoid having to pay for it twice.

Now I am going to leave so soon I will not have the time to book another appointment before that time.

What should I do?

I contacted the consulate, I am expecting an answer in about 2 work days, so Monday probably.

I don't know what to do. Can I extend my NOA2 until after I have a medical, probably estimating it to be in February?

Do I need to cancel my trip to my fiancee in order to still be able to move anytime soon?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.