Sunny87

Is age gap matter? How's Mumbai consulate in terms of interview?

10 posts in this topic

Hello Frnds,

My fiance is 12 years older than me, she's 43 and i'm 31 and I have an interview scheduled this month at mumbai consulate. The best thing is that we are co-workers and before getting into relationship and engaged we were friend's for an year. I have been to US 4 times where last 2 times stayed at her places for almost 3 weeks each time. 

Now i'm little scared what if the age gap would be an question. I have all proofs from chat to skype to pictures taken together on several outings. Also skype snapshot of us talking with my friends. I'm not sure what else to include, though i know everything about my fiance from the time she was born till date. 

If anyone can help me whether I should be worried about this age gap thing? Thanks for your help!

2 hours ago, Sunny87 said:

Hello Frnds,

My fiance is 12 years older than me, she's 43 and i'm 31 and I have an interview scheduled this month at mumbai consulate. The best thing is that we are co-workers and before getting into relationship and engaged we were friend's for an year. I have been to US 4 times where last 2 times stayed at her places for almost 3 weeks each time. 

Now i'm little scared what if the age gap would be an question. I have all proofs from chat to skype to pictures taken together on several outings. Also skype snapshot of us talking with my friends. I'm not sure what else to include, though i know everything about my fiance from the time she was born till date. 

If anyone can help me whether I should be worried about this age gap thing? Thanks for your help!

Ohhh best of luck for your interview !!

even we have a age gap between us and I had done with my interview on 15 th june 2018 but they didn’t approve my visa and hand over me 221g, asking me for more information such as marriage court date , hall reservations in advance, marriage outfits rings etc.

we have submitted all the documents on 28 June 2018 since then we didn’t hear anything from them finger crossed

little bit advice for you be ready with a lot of question on age gap officer probably took my interview for 30 min and he didn’t believe that our relationship is genuine

however every case is different hopefully you will get your visa and don’t have to go through with this.

when is your interview?? Share your experience once you done with your interview.

good luck 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

In a country like India n Nepal where marrying a much older woman is very rare, you could be scrutenized a lot but that doesn’t mean it’s a straight denial. So bring as many evidences of relationship as possible.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Thanks for sharing your experience, my interview is on 24th Aug. 

6 hours ago, Puneet12 said:

Ohhh best of luck for your interview !!

even we have a age gap between us and I had done with my interview on 15 th june 2018 but they didn’t approve my visa and hand over me 221g, asking me for more information such as marriage court date , hall reservations in advance, marriage outfits rings etc.

we have submitted all the documents on 28 June 2018 since then we didn’t hear anything from them finger crossed

little bit advice for you be ready with a lot of question on age gap officer probably took my interview for 30 min and he didn’t believe that our relationship is genuine

however every case is different hopefully you will get your visa and don’t have to go through with this.

when is your interview?? Share your experience once you done with your interview.

good luck 

What sort of question they asked you? Can you share some of them so that i can get an idea, though I'm all prepared but want to know how it is...

9 hours ago, Sunny87 said:

COs in India tend to review discrepancies. COs are familiar in the ways of the local culture, and the norm in India is men marrying younger women of child-bearing age. A cynical CO may view an Indian man of prime age with a USC fiance 12 years his senior as a marriage of convenience intended for an immigration benefit.  

So yes, expect the age gap thing to come up. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I don't have any relate-able advice (my husband is only 1.5 years younger than me), so all I can say is to be 100% genuine. If you guys truly are in love and doing this for the right reasons then you have to stay positive and trust that everything will be fine. Be confident with your answers and take lots of photos of you guys together. 

Be prepared for questions like:

Has she been to India or only you to the US? Has she met your family? How do they feel about your relationship? Is she also Indian or is it interracial as well? Are you same religion? Think of all the things, besides age, that could come across as suspect to a CO and make sure you have solid, confident responses. Be prepared for them to ask you tough questions, including if you ever want kids because they will see her as non-childbearing age. 

My husband (then fiance) also met through work and were best friends for several years before making our relationship official. I think that will benefit you guys, but you already know that you have a big obstacle to overcome with the age gap. Don't go into the interview feeling like the decision is the end all be all because that puts too much pressure on you which will make you nervous. Just stay positive and hope for the best. If it doesn't work out, apply for the spouse visa and then if all else fails have her move to India so you can be together. As tough as it is, a K1 denial (should it happen), does not mean a relationship is over - if it is then the relationship wasn't genuine in the first place. ;) 

All the best!!!

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
On 8/6/2018 at 9:42 AM, KozmicBlues said:

I don't have any relate-able advice (my husband is only 1.5 years younger than me), so all I can say is to be 100% genuine. If you guys truly are in love and doing this for the right reasons then you have to stay positive and trust that everything will be fine. Be confident with your answers and take lots of photos of you guys together. 

Be prepared for questions like:

Has she been to India or only you to the US? Has she met your family? How do they feel about your relationship? Is she also Indian or is it interracial as well? Are you same religion? Think of all the things, besides age, that could come across as suspect to a CO and make sure you have solid, confident responses. Be prepared for them to ask you tough questions, including if you ever want kids because they will see her as non-childbearing age. 

My husband (then fiance) also met through work and were best friends for several years before making our relationship official. I think that will benefit you guys, but you already know that you have a big obstacle to overcome with the age gap. Don't go into the interview feeling like the decision is the end all be all because that puts too much pressure on you which will make you nervous. Just stay positive and hope for the best. If it doesn't work out, apply for the spouse visa and then if all else fails have her move to India so you can be together. As tough as it is, a K1 denial (should it happen), does not mean a relationship is over - if it is then the relationship wasn't genuine in the first place. ;) 

All the best!!!

So far I had seen many people and their fears and trying to answer the question but your answer is very inspiring and true. My intention is not to be rude but avoiding the problematic situations with CO not believing their relationship is genuine those people should have applied for spouse visa though it is a long time. This will help the process to be less problematic. I guess the new applicants should follow this guideline before applying, that way it will be less stressful and makes the process more genuine and smooth.

I wanted to tell you that ur answer should set the path for new applicants. I'm not saying the other people who applied are wrong but I feel the age gap, the female a USC, these kind of situations are not regular.. so no wonder CO are very doubtful. As u said if there is true love then we can find ways to stay together. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 10/13/2018 at 6:28 AM, pknick said:

So far I had seen many people and their fears and trying to answer the question but your answer is very inspiring and true. My intention is not to be rude but avoiding the problematic situations with CO not believing their relationship is genuine those people should have applied for spouse visa though it is a long time. This will help the process to be less problematic. I guess the new applicants should follow this guideline before applying, that way it will be less stressful and makes the process more genuine and smooth.

I wanted to tell you that ur answer should set the path for new applicants. I'm not saying the other people who applied are wrong but I feel the age gap, the female a USC, these kind of situations are not regular.. so no wonder CO are very doubtful. As u said if there is true love then we can find ways to stay together. 

Exactly! My husband and I obviously stressed about the process because it's stressful! But we always knew that if it wasn't approved then I would move to his home country...no questions asked or 2nd thoughts given. If people are truly in love and doing this process for the right reasons then they will find a way to be together no matter what. :) 

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man.... Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

- The Dalai Lama

• 8 months later...

Hi I m 25 years old my fiance age 37 years old my k1  Visa interview in Mumbai embassy 9 August...I m scared about age diffrence  do u have any experience in Mumbai embassy?

Just now, Dhruvi said:

Hi I m 25 years old my fiance age 37 years old my k1  Visa interview in Mumbai embassy 9 August...I m scared about age diffrence  do u have any experience in Mumbai embassy?

On 8/5/2018 at 12:56 PM, Sunny87 said:

Hello Frnds,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.