BRENTWOOD

I miss Canada oh so much :(

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
3 minutes ago, BRENTWOOD said:

I really appreciate the positivity and I am happy there are people like you in the world. I am happy that you are able to give me some happiness because it is hard for me to see on the bright side lately. I am just internally really fighting with myself that we should've moved to Canada and I feel guilt for our decisions. You are right though once I have a job and I can travel back home it will definitely feel better. Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to answer it really meant a lot more to me than you know!

Hang in there, there will be sun at the end and it will be amazing. Keep strong, enjoy your husband, and your time.....Like I said, very soon you will be gathered with all of them again.

8/14/17 --- AOS sent I-485, I-765, I-131

8/16/17 --- AOS Packet received Chicago USCIS Day 0

8/21/17  --- Received email & text notification 

8/23/17  --- Received hard copy of NOA  

9/01/17  --- Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131  

9/11/17  --- Biometrics Appointment Done

10/17/17 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

11/30/2017 - EAD/AP Approved
12/01/2017 - Card in Production
12/05/2017 - Received Approval Notice in the Mail
12/06//2017 - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me
12/07/2017 - Card Received 

1/19/18  --- Interview Date 2/21

2/21/18  ---  Approved on the Spot

• 1 hour after the interview received uscis mobile app alert
  • Status changed from "Interview is scheduled" to "New Card Is Being Produced

2/26/18  --- Received hard copy of NOA for the Green Card

2/26/18  --- USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

2/28/18 --- Permanent Resident/Green Card received :jest:

Travelling with Combo Card Feedback 

AOS Interview - Review and Tips

Brazil Instructions After i-129F Approval    and  Emails Sent by NVC and Brazilian Embassy after the i-129F approval

B2 Visa Experience / Mother-in-law financially challenged for visa

Please register for informed delivery if it is applicable in your region - USPS INFORMED DELIVERY

NVC - (603)-334-0700

USCIS - 800-375-5283

" Have you tried the search tool? K1 isnt an easy process and a LOT of reading is required to avoid problems (RFEs) etc, if you dont like reading, be prepared to spend WAY more time and couple more $$$ with an lawyer " 

On 7/30/2018 at 8:24 AM, Ben&Zian said:

As with most the transition can be tough but also something you needed to prepare yourself for a bit a head of time. While my husband had lived in the US prior to us meeting during a couple internships for about 18 month time period, so it wasn't exactly a huge deal for him, he still had to wait for everything to process. For him he preoccupied himself with gaming, we got a dog, he went to the gym. I tried to not travel for work as much and set weekly 'date' nights. It of course got very boring by the end of 5-6 months before finally being able to go work. For a lot of people volunteering can be a good option. See about maybe taking a trip or two (even just out of town for a weekend) to help break the routine up. There's a lot of activities that can be done to pass time, even find new hobbies or binge watch TV series'.

Home sickness is probably most common thing people feel. That I can't say how to overcome really... maybe can skype/video chat more regularly with friends and family to least make it feel more personable. As for how you feel about where you live, that is something you have to discuss with your husband. Depending on your living condition, like if you're in an apartment, discuss moving when the lease ends? We had same thing in a sense, not so much him not liking the area; but we were massively flooded during Hurricane Harvey (i lost my mustang), our parking lot had literally 5 1/2 feet of water in it. We stayed for awhile on the third floor before leaving; but when lease renewal came up this past February we decided to stay another year before looking this next January or so to buy a house finally. So you need to discuss this with your husband as that is between both of you. Feeling welcome in the US is hard sometimes... since you don't get out or can't work right now, feels even worse. Not everyone transitions easily or sometimes just aren't in the best of areas. Try to get out, go meet some local people. Coffee shops or both of you goto some bars and maybe meet other couples. 

I really appreciate all the advice and the great ideas. I guess I am just feeling stuck because I have already made friends, I have signed up for a class, I go to the gym, I have a friend who lives an hour flight away that I go see, I have been spending my time volunteering and learning to cook. I keep extremely busy that is for sure. Maybe boredom is not my issue. Fitting in here is because no one is friendly to me and customer service people are all rude that I hate going to stores to deal with anyone.

I guess my main trouble is the guilt of leaving my family and my mom crying every day is hard to put into the background of all of these things. I'm trying to do what is best for the new family I'm trying to build but feel so much guilt for leaving behind my family and missing the day to day special moments.

The thing  about our lease is it is ending in 15 days so since I am looking for a new place can't find anything that we like that isn't crazy unaffordable I feel so displaced. I don't like where we are there are no good leasing options at the moment so maybe that is what is bringing about more home sickness not feeling like I have a home or place anywhere anymore. It was all taken away overnight. I just had a good quality life and I traded it in for jumping around from rental units and not having purpose it is just a tough trade in. I regret what I have done and now I am trying my best to make the best of it but some days are harder than most.

I am not trying to be negative and I apologize if it came across that way. I really thank you for all your suggestions and your kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. It still amazes me how supportive people on this website are. I wish you and your husband all the happiness in the world and have the best day!

On 7/30/2018 at 9:12 AM, geowrian said:

I suggest talking to your husband (Edit: or wife? Sorry to assume) about how you feel and why you feel that way (men generally need this part...just explaining a problem without knowing the cause or the ability to solve it is frustrating...at least for me!). From there you can figure out how to ease the homesickness...possibly by making you feel more at "home" in the US.

Or explore if living together in Canada  is something he would be up for.

Hello, Thank you for the response. No need to apologize at all. My husband has been help but he is definitely feeling drained as well. This process as you know is quite demanding. I mean my family is not making it easy on us. They are supportive but they know how to make us feel very guilty. Thank you for your advice. I will try my best to maybe explain how I am feeling to him in more detail and to come up with a solution. WIshing you all the best. Thanks for taking the time.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:11 AM, Roel said:

What did you imagine will happen before you move though? You should have known that you'll be in a foreign environment and you won't be able to work for A while... no idea why you're feeling guilty by moving. You decided to start a new life, don't feel guilty about what you left being. It was your conscious decision to leave. 

Find yourself something to do. It's not hard. Adopt cat or dog. Volunteer. Find some local communities or organizations that you'd like to contribute to. Go on a hike. Go shopping. Netflix binge. Learn a new hobby. There are countless possibilities of things to do before you'll be able to work. See if you can get US driving license and start exploring the area. Look around for some free classes. 

Thank you for taking the time and the suggestions. I have been volunteering, learning how to cook, hiking, cleaning, making friends doing everything I promise you I have been making the biggest effort. I think I have realized through going through these responses it is less homesickness and maybe more just guilt from leaving my family behind and feeling like I chose life here in the US over my life with them and I feel very guilty. Not sure if you felt this way. I do appreciate all the suggestions and you taking the time. Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
16 minutes ago, BRENTWOOD said:

I really appreciate all the advice and the great ideas. I guess I am just feeling stuck because I have already made friends, I have signed up for a class, I go to the gym, I have a friend who lives an hour flight away that I go see, I have been spending my time volunteering and learning to cook. I keep extremely busy that is for sure. Maybe boredom is not my issue. Fitting in here is because no one is friendly to me and customer service people are all rude that I hate going to stores to deal with anyone.

I guess my main trouble is the guilt of leaving my family and my mom crying every day is hard to put into the background of all of these things. I'm trying to do what is best for the new family I'm trying to build but feel so much guilt for leaving behind my family and missing the day to day special moments.

The thing  about our lease is it is ending in 15 days so since I am looking for a new place can't find anything that we like that isn't crazy unaffordable I feel so displaced. I don't like where we are there are no good leasing options at the moment so maybe that is what is bringing about more home sickness not feeling like I have a home or place anywhere anymore. It was all taken away overnight. I just had a good quality life and I traded it in for jumping around from rental units and not having purpose it is just a tough trade in. I regret what I have done and now I am trying my best to make the best of it but some days are harder than most.

I am not trying to be negative and I apologize if it came across that way. I really thank you for all your suggestions and your kind words. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. It still amazes me how supportive people on this website are. I wish you and your husband all the happiness in the world and have the best day!

No worries. Sometimes, like your lease situation, sometimes a lot of different things come up all at once and it feels so overwhelming. A lot of others have commented about you feeling guilty, and you really shouldn't. I know someone saying that is different than you not feeling it an all; but if you really asked your friends and family back home what they wanted for you, wouldn't they say for you to be happy and be where you are now witrh your spouse? I bet they would, and maybe just hearing that could make you feel better. Everyone is different when it comes to family, some are very close as you seem to be, and some aren't as close as my husband is with his family. So it's harder for you than it was for him in a sense. Think best thing really is if you haven't just talk to your spouse about how you feel and maybe he has some ideas that could help. Obviously we don't know your entire situation so we just have to give general/generic ideas. Sounds like you're keeping busy and that's good. Waiting is hard I know, again my husband sat at home while I worked and traveled for work and all for around 5 some months before he got his EAD.. even then I drove him to work and picked him up most days which made me have to stay late at work to make up for the time in the day, then somedays get him after work at 11pm, and repeat. It was tough on both of us and caused a lot of stress until we managed to get him comfortable driving and his license and bought him a car. Everyone has different stressers, and think you both openly discussing it really could help.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

On 7/30/2018 at 10:11 AM, ababsurd said:

You are not alone. Most of the immigrants who are going through the process catch themselves in the same feelings.

I have been here for almost four months now and I will not deny I've been feeling miserable at times. Why wouldn't I? I can't work, I can't be fully engaged in society, I can't travel, I have not choice but being frugal, I have no friends and can't seem to adapt to how social interactions work down here in Miami. Everything about my lifestyle changed, I had to adapt to a new language, a new culture, a new environment.

But if I just focused on that, what would be the point of this immense sacrifice I've made? I remind myself that happiness has a price. I came here because I am in love with a wonderful man and with the perspective of building something extraordinary together. Despite I don't have full access to the endless possibilities of life yet, I keep in mind they are just months within reach. Months! 

And yes, nostalgia is overwhelming.  Before moving I had no idea how heavy it would become just to think about my family in Italy, my home in Italy, my friends in Italy, the entire personal circle I left behind. It was large and strong and perfect. But you know what? Sometimes circles decrease in size but increase in value. I made a choice and I was aware of the consequences, as you certainly were as well. Now it's only up to you to nurture your new dimension and make your new space deserve someone like you in it. 

Although I can't help you with much practical advice, here's what I think: 

1) DON'T BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF

You have just started a new life and in stirring up expectations, reality started lagging behind. That just reflects your humanity and nothing else. You are out of your comfort zone, and not being able to be immediately at ease upsets you. 

You are in a state of personal isolation because in order to move on, you need to wait. Everyone you know and you interact with is not stuck as you are, your spouse, your spouse's friends, your spouse's family. It's not your fault

2) YOUR FAMILY LOVES YOU

This is coming from a person who belongs to a close-knit Italian-Canadian family whose members cried for days before I left.

Your family loves you and they want your happiness, not your guilt. I feel you more than anything on that, but don't. They know it's your life and they will never resent you for that. Distance is only mental.

3) IT WILL GET BETTER

Going from 0 to 100 in just a matter of months would be awesome, but it's unrealistic.

In choosing to move, we also committed to the unspoken aspects of adjusting, adapting, settling to the United States. 

You will never stop missing your old life, but you will start loving your new one... if you choose to.

You do not deserve to feel stuck, but you won't be forever. In the meantime, embrace and celebrate every new challenge and achievement. Get in touch with yourself. Establish your own presence in your new environment in your own terms.

More practical advice:Talk about your feelings with your spouse. Appreciate what you have. Explore new things, do new things. Focus on your present, not your past, not your future. Remember you are not being punished, you made a choice! Make the best out of it even in the most frustrating moments. Good luck!

Hello, I really can't thank you enough for sending such a beautiful and well thought out post. It truly means more to me than you will ever know!

I can 100% appreciate what you are saying about your transition. I think you are extremely brave to leave somewhere beautiful and choose a new life I just feel like maybe my coping strategies are not as strong as yours haha I can appreciate the advice I just need to get it into action. I guess i do not deal as well with transition as I had originally thought. Now looking back I definitely think it would've been smarter for us to move to Canada but I guess gold is tested by fire. So I can only hope I will become a stronger individual and us a stronger couple. Some days are obviously just tougher to get through as you know. 

This post helped me to not feel so alone.

How does your family deal with the transition? Are they 100% supportive? Did they give you any guilt or make you feel bad about your choices? I really love that you are from a tight knit family so you are able to understand how I feel better than most.

Also are you a writer? Because your writing is just so beautiful and well thought out!!!!!!!! It is a shame you can't work because you are clearly talented haha but yes you are correct all is within months reach.

I think I will write those three phrases down and practice them like a mantra.

1. Don't be too hard on yourself 2. Your family loves you 3. It will get better

That pretty much sums it all up and helps to ease some of the pain I am feeling.

Wishing you literally all the happiness in the world. Thank you for your kindness and positivity, it is going to go so far. So happy there are people like you in this world.

On 7/30/2018 at 10:11 AM, ababsurd said:

I totally get it! I lived in the US for most of my adult life so far, but have been back in Canada for the entire past year, and it's so hard to explain to other Canadians why one would want to spend so much time, money, and effort applying for a visa to go and live in a country that is in many ways worse-off than our own. I'm lucky that I have a huge network of friends in the US who are excited for me to be back, as well as finally having a life together with my fiancé. We've been together for 3.5 years but have been living apart for 2 years! It sounds like you're having a tough transition, but also are taking charge of your life and keeping busy. Take heart - things will get easier as you settle in! Also - don't worry about the rude customer service stuff. Just be your friendly Canadian self and make those grumpy people around you be the ones to adapt ;) 

• 10/30/2018 POE on K-1 visa
  • 12/03/2018 Married 😍
  • 12/07/2018 Sent AOS, EAD and AP forms 
  • 12/13/2018 NOA1
  • 12/21/2018 Received Biometrics appointment letter
  • 12/26/2018 Successful walk-in biometrics 
  • 03/20/2019 USCIS online case status for I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" 
  • 06/10/2019 EAD/AP expedite request submitted with evidence through Congressman's office
  • 06/17/2019 New Card is Being Produced! (EAD)
  • 11/15/2019 Interview! Approved 4 hours later
  • 11/23/2019 Received Green Card in the mail
  • 8/19/2021 Sent Removal of Conditions form
  • 8/24/2021 Application received, NOA1
  • 10/25/2021 Received biometrics waiver (dated 10/21/21)
  • 11/22/2021 Received 24-month extension letter
  • 11/7/2022 Filed N-400 Online
  • 4/6/2023 Naturalization Interview
  • 5/12/2023 Oath Ceremony

42 minutes ago, ITMFA said:

I totally get it! I lived in the US for most of my adult life so far, but have been back in Canada for the entire past year, and it's so hard to explain to other Canadians why one would want to spend so much time, money, and effort applying for a visa to go and live in a country that is in many ways worse-off than our own. I'm lucky that I have a huge network of friends in the US who are excited for me to be back, as well as finally having a life together with my fiancé. We've been together for 3.5 years but have been living apart for 2 years! It sounds like you're having a tough transition, but also are taking charge of your life and keeping busy. Take heart - things will get easier as you settle in! Also - don't worry about the rude customer service stuff. Just be your friendly Canadian self and make those grumpy people around you be the ones to adapt ;) 

I just realized I made it sound like I think that Canada's a way better place to be than the US, which is not what I meant... There's a Canadian snobbery about the US sometimes that I'm not a part of - I recognize that all countries have their particular issues, not least Canada! What I meant is that many other Canadians find it hard to understand why I would want to make a big move away from a pretty nice life here. But of course, like the rest of us, it's not just about me because there's another person involved! Anyway, good luck and hang in there, OP! ✌️

• 10/30/2018 POE on K-1 visa
  • 12/03/2018 Married 😍
  • 12/07/2018 Sent AOS, EAD and AP forms 
  • 12/13/2018 NOA1
  • 12/21/2018 Received Biometrics appointment letter
  • 12/26/2018 Successful walk-in biometrics 
  • 03/20/2019 USCIS online case status for I-485 changed to "Case is Ready to be Scheduled for an Interview" 
  • 06/10/2019 EAD/AP expedite request submitted with evidence through Congressman's office
  • 06/17/2019 New Card is Being Produced! (EAD)
  • 11/15/2019 Interview! Approved 4 hours later
  • 11/23/2019 Received Green Card in the mail
  • 8/19/2021 Sent Removal of Conditions form
  • 8/24/2021 Application received, NOA1
  • 10/25/2021 Received biometrics waiver (dated 10/21/21)
  • 11/22/2021 Received 24-month extension letter
  • 11/7/2022 Filed N-400 Online
  • 4/6/2023 Naturalization Interview
  • 5/12/2023 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
23 hours ago, BRENTWOOD said:

Hello, I really can't thank you enough for sending such a beautiful and well thought out post. It truly means more to me than you will ever know!

I can 100% appreciate what you are saying about your transition. I think you are extremely brave to leave somewhere beautiful and choose a new life I just feel like maybe my coping strategies are not as strong as yours haha I can appreciate the advice I just need to get it into action. I guess i do not deal as well with transition as I had originally thought. Now looking back I definitely think it would've been smarter for us to move to Canada but I guess gold is tested by fire. So I can only hope I will become a stronger individual and us a stronger couple. Some days are obviously just tougher to get through as you know. 

This post helped me to not feel so alone.

Your response brought great joy on this end, too. 🙂

Coping skills are not always an instinct, especially in our situation. Given the fact that all the focus is initially dedicated to the immigration process, the wedding, and the practical aspects of moving, it is only normal for applicants to enter the settling down phase without a personal plan of realistic milestones. 

How does your family deal with the transition? Are they 100% supportive? Did they give you any guilt or make you feel bad about your choices? I really love that you are from a tight knit family so you are able to understand how I feel better than most.

They are 100% supportive and I couldn't be more grateful. They understand what immigration entails, being immigrants themselves back in the days. Ça va sans dire, they miss me very much, and whenever they point it out (always) I force myself to suppress the guilt. One thing they don't approve is me feeling bad for moving far away, and they are right. It is wrong to punish yourself for making choices of growth and love. You never know where life will take you in weeks, months, years, and I choose to embrace the excitement of the unknown rather than letting it stress me. When I say that distance is only mental I firmly believe it. Plus, they will visit, I will visit, and the exchange will be precious.

I hope your are backed with the same type of encouragement. 

Also are you a writer? Because your writing is just so beautiful and well thought out!!!!!!!! It is a shame you can't work because you are clearly talented haha but yes you are correct all is within months reach.

That is fattering. Thank you! I am not. I mean, I write a lot, but I respect writers too much to give myself the title. Besides, I am still working on my command of the English language. I wish to take it to the same level of my Italian and be able to convey thoughts with the same fluidity. I guess it doesn't hurt that I married a writer (a real one), haha. 

I think I will write those three phrases down and practice them like a mantra.

1. Don't be too hard on yourself 2. Your family loves you 3. It will get better

That pretty much sums it all up and helps to ease some of the pain I am feeling.

Yes! I like that! 

Wishing you literally all the happiness in the world. Thank you for your kindness and positivity, it is going to go so far. So happy there are people like you in this world.

Same to you, dear. Some days you'll wake up in the middle of weakness, and some days strength will wake up in the middle of you. Hold on tight to those. And thank you for this exchange! Message me whenever you want!

Facebook group: K-1 Visa Italia 

April 10 2018 US ENTRY (K-1 Visa) 

August 27 2019 GREEN CARD ISSUED

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, ababsurd said:

Some days you'll wake up in the middle of weakness, and some days strength will wake up in the middle of you.

This made me tear-up... beautifully said.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
Just now, Michelle M said:

This made me tear-up... beautifully said.

Thank you! I appreciate it. 

Facebook group: K-1 Visa Italia 

April 10 2018 US ENTRY (K-1 Visa) 

August 27 2019 GREEN CARD ISSUED

June 05-2021 ROC SE NT 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ultimately, this is a decision you can only make for yourself, and being a fellow Canadian who has lived in Texas for just a little over 3 years now, maybe sharing my experience will help you in your decision.

First, to get to this point in your life you and your husband have worked hard for you to be here. This wasn't a decision made lightly or on a whim. I know when we decided to move to Texas, we found a rental house and we just went-- no jobs lined up or anything. There were times in the first couple of months we were here (I came as a CR1, so I could work since day) neither of us were working, and I seriously doubted our decision, and if we did the right thing. I gave up a job in Canada I was unhappy at, but I made 6 figures (Canadian $) and since it was the BC Lower Mainland, all I could afford was a 2 bed + den apartment. Our Texas house is 2600 sq ft, 4 beds, 3 baths-- something we could never imagining owning in Canada. After applying for more jobs than I care to remember, I eventually got an interview with a large company that seemed perfect. . . until I started the actual job (it was a call center, something I have never done before) and for $10 an hour, I couldn't even afford to eat at the employee cafeteria.

They say persistence pays off, and I kept my name in at the local police department (as I had interviewed well and passed the tests for dispatcher, but later found out I couldn't be a dispatcher or patrol officer as a non-citizen)  for various civilian positions and have been employed there for over 2 1/2 years now (where does the time go?).

Everyone's experience in a new location is different, maybe it wasn't so difficult for me since growing up my dad would get transferred every 2-3 years and I grew up all over Western Canada, in both large cities and small towns. We never lived in the city where my mom was from (and her family stayed), so maybe being away from extended family and having to make new friends every couple of years it wasn't anything new for me.

Technology today makes staying in touch easier now with friends/family far away then ever before. I'm not a social media person (no Facebook, Twitter, or whatever the kids are using today), but I have group iMessage conversations with my parents, brother and sister, as well as college friends, and texts to friends and extended family. Usually it's a picture of me on a patio in the winter, bragging while they're buried under six feet of snow!

Trust me, it does get easier-- sure there are things in Canada I miss (family aside-- Costco Food Court Poutine, Bacon 'n Eggers from A&W, Coffee Crisp and Wonderbars candy bars), but that's what trips to visit are for. Youtube has a great selection of CBC Marketplace episodes (and when they're doing the Canadian vs. US Shopping comparison episodes, I'm glad I'm on this side of the border), and you can stream your hometown radio station online to change things up every now and then. Now, I can't honestly say I've felt 'homesick' to the point of wanting to go back. Sure- I'd love to see Winnipeg (in the summer of course) since I haven't been there since 2001, and have fond childhood memories from the 1990's, but I know it wouldn't be the same as it was (or how I remember) and then I'd just be disappointed. I guess that would make me 'timesick'?

Sorry, I'm kind of going all over the place here, but importantly the USA has provided us opportunities, that otherwise wouldn't be obtainable in Canada. That rental house? We now own it (I know this house would be over $1,500,000 CAD if it was dropped into my old neighborhood), I'm working for a police department (something that I never imagined I would be able to do), and we are able to live comfortably.

I know anything new can be scary at first, but it does get better. I hope sharing my experience helps. 🙂

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have moved all over Canada and now have moved to Vegas. I will say the first move I made from my hometown was by far the hardest. Even more so than moving to Vegas. It sounds like your family might be laying a guilt trip over the fact you are no longer close. This makes it extremely difficult to make your new place your home. My first year away from my hometown I was really home sick. People were placing bets as to when I'd move back not believing what I was doing was real. It's a huge shock. Everything you are used to is gone. It felt like I was fighting a lot of battles.

For anyone who has moved around a lot they will tell you the first year is always the hardest. You go through periods of transition. You might be fine one month and not so fine the next. It's totally normal. Every time I've moved I tell myself to just get through the first year. Then after that I found it gets a lot easier. In your case you are adjusting to not only a new city but a new relationship. It's important your spouse understands where you are coming from. As someone else pointed out men are not mind readers and it's important he knows it is not his fault as to why you feel that way.

The experience can vary from where you lived in Canada to where you moved in the US. I've lived in 3 different provinces with very different political ideologies in Canada. Since I lived in Alberta the shift to Vegas didn't feel that radical. However, if I only had my experience in Vancouver, BC and suddenly found myself in Alabama that would be a huge culture shock. There is an assumption Canada is an extension to the States which in many respects it is. But there are differences in values such as maternity leave, gun rights, universal healthcare, etc. It may not seem like a big deal but I have found myself missing aspects of Canadian life and how people cared about one another. The US at least from my experience has been a lot more Darwinian. People don't stop to chat like they do in Canada and people can be extremely aggressive especially on the road.

I think as others have suggested it might be wise to find your own place. Part of what might be challenging is you are trying to fit into your spouse's life instead of the both of you creating your own. That's great you are volunteering and made some friends. From my experience it will take time before you have deep connections with people. It can and will happen if you just give your new relationships time. It can be frustrating because it feels like nobody really knows you. But think of it as a good thing as your past will not define you. You can carve out a complete new identity.

I know it's tough but I try hard not to look at my past life and think about how I can make my present one better. Every place has it's pros and cons. I'm sure there were aspects of your past life you weren't happy about. I did find a Canadian friend who I meet up for coffee. She's been a god sent because it's nice to be able to share my frustrations about living here without it feeling like I am bashing the place. I'm not sure where you live but if you can find other Canadians it might be worthwhile to meet up with them.

There is no doubt the immigration process is extremely stressful. Thank goodness for websites such as VJ to allow us to vent. Believe me when I say you will get through this. I can fall into a black hole of negativity sometimes and I try to focus on what is better about my life now. What are some things you like better that you didn't have in Canada? I love the food down here and how there is always stuff to do on top of the fantastic weather. I'm sure your family loves you but be careful to not let them effect your outcome. I'm sure they miss you tremendously which speaks to how much they love you. But relationships evolve including our families. I still feel close to members of my family who are far away. We just had to learn how to manage our relationships differently.

Edited by acidrain

This is my first login in many years. But as a Canadian that moved from Quebec to Illinois in 2007, I can tell you it took me 2-3 years to fully adjust and feel like home. Now I'm fully established, happily married, have a long time job and we own our home. I feel like home.

So hang in there, it will get better!

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.