37 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
5 hours ago, Loren Y said:

I've always done my own passport photos for years. I have never had a problem and I carry many around with me when I travel because a lot of times you go to enter another country by land and they make you do a visa on site ( Cambodia comes to mind) and if you don't have a photo they conveniently can take your picture ( For a Small fee of course), and I'm pretty cheap when I travel so I just carry my own photos. Try out this site below. I use it all the time, and it lets you download a 4x6 Jpeg image with 4 passport 2x2 photos on it. Then you just send it to walmart online one hour photo and you get 4 photos for .15 cents or less. I have used it for passports, visa, CCW permit and multiple other state and federal agencies with no issue.

http://www.epassportphoto.com/

I mean CVS, Walgreens are great if you want to blow 10-12 bucks. It isn't rocket science, the 10 dollar an hour employees are not Professional photographers by a long shot, and I have never had a photo refused in at least 20 years, and I am far, far from a professional photographer. A little common sense and your good. If you managed to fill out the I129F or any other immigration form by yourself you are more than capable of following instructions.

I also have used epassportphoto.com many times and have never had an issue. They have instructions right on the site with the requirements and also example photos. Once you take your picture, you just upload it and use their tool to resize it. Very simple and so much cheaper than anywhere else.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

The moral of the story is to scrutinize the pics whether you do it or a drug store. I’ve had Walgreens do mine twice, and surprise surprise, the 18 year old kid with zero training did them wrong and they were rejected. That’s why I like to do it myself. But this is a matter of how you’re most comfortable. Don’t let anyone tell you that it “must” be either way. Just remember to ALWAYS verify the picture yourself to see that it matches spec. You can even print a guide on many websites and take it to the store with you. When they print the pictures, look at them carefully and compare before you pay.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 7/20/2018 at 5:45 PM, Loren Y said:

That's exactly what happened to me. When I went to get my first passport about 25 years ago I went to the JC penny photo studio and got taken for around 25 bucks also. Never again. Thanks for sharing,I am glad I found someone else to admit they got hosed by JC penny. I have been keeping that hidden for 30 years, and I feel better I was able to share.

$25 back then are similar to what $50 is now so folks can understand our rage :D

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
On 7/20/2018 at 6:07 PM, Loren Y said:

Not that I'm bragging, but my pocketbook is pretty deep. I'm liquid to 6 figures in a 24 hour period.

I am approaching net 7 figures but still I don't appreciate being taken for a ride.  I agree, $5 to $6 for 2 pics and I am ok with it considering that it takes only a few minutes and likely costs less than $3 in employee time, material and building expenses.

07/27/17 - K1 packet sent at the end of day.

07/31/17 - NOA1

03/22/18 - NOA2

08/28/18 - expected date for medical completion - Sputum test was needed

09/22/18 - anticipated interview date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The only time I feel "taken for a ride" is when I'm getting photos done for my Canadian passport....$35 for those.

The US ones cost me $11 at the same place.

When I commented on the difference in price, she just retorted "well, they are REALLY strict with the requirements for the Canadian ones" <_<  Yeah, ok lady.

Ah well, on the plus side it's only once a decade or so I have to shell it out.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

On 7/21/2018 at 12:50 PM, A&H2018 said:

Terrific thread. I wish we could question a CVS finance exec to see whats the margin on their passport photo biz.

It's probably a lost leader item.  I can't imagine CVS getting rich on passport photos. hahaha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.