Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,461 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you to everyone who replied to me, much appreciated.

TJM that's absolutely awful. Rest assured what you went through will at least help others, including us in a couple of months. No way is she coming over without easily enough physical money.

June 11th 2015 - NOA1. off to California Service Center :D

July 27th - NOA2 !!! much faster than expected

August 19th - rang NVC, got LND case number and told our file is 'about to go to London'

August 20th - booked medical at Knightsbridge for September 16th, 10:10am. Feels good.

September 1st - rearranged medical for October 5th, 13:30, because reasons.

September 4th - packet 3 received.

October 5th - medical completed at Knightsbridge. X-ray technician suggested playing Barry White during the procedure.

November 12th - visa interview. Nailed it!

November 20th - collected visa package from DX Southampton

December 6th - one way flight to Philadelphia!

December 31st - getting married! :wow:

NOA1 to Interview: 5 months and 1 day.

Hi there.

longdistancelovesongs.wordpress.com

https://instagram.com/jonathan9six

https://instagram.com/moose9six

https://twitter.com/Jonathan9six

UKBA recently refused my fiancé entry to the UK on the grounds that she couldn't prove her ties to the USA were strong enough.

Apparently the letter from her college stating that she was enrolled as a student was not enough to convince the UKBA that she would return home. They were also suspicious that she was not carrying much cash (she was travelling with me and I had all of my UK currency + Credit/Debit cards).

Just a word of warning to anyone travelling to the UK from the US (Especially younger couples)

• Ensure you can prove your ties to the USA.
  • Bring cash / proof of finances (The UKBA were concerned that my fiancé wouldn't be able to support herself even though she was to be living with me during her stay)
  • Return ticket - Obvious
  • Itinerary

Our experience at the UK border was heart breaking and I would hate for anyone else to have to go through the same.

Best of luck all.

Thats awful.

I've posted before here on this issue. The UKBA are appalling - the US ones are so much better.

I'm sorry to say but I think some times it does not matter how much evidence you have. The UKBA routinely attempt to deny my brother's wife entry to the UK on the basis that they believe his marriage is a sham (he's been married several years, with two children, both of whom are travelling with them). Fortunately now that he's resident in Portugal the EU rules apply rather than British ones (as he's essentially treated as Portuguese) and after he's insisted the border agents call their EU legal help line, they reluctantly let her in.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thats awful.

I've posted before here on this issue. The UKBA are appalling - the US ones are so much better.

I'm sorry to say but I think some times it does not matter how much evidence you have. The UKBA routinely attempt to deny my brother's wife entry to the UK on the basis that they believe his marriage is a sham (he's been married several years, with two children, both of whom are travelling with them). Fortunately now that he's resident in Portugal the EU rules apply rather than British ones (as he's essentially treated as Portuguese) and after he's insisted the border agents call their EU legal help line, they reluctantly let her in.

Thank you to everyone who replied to me, much appreciated.

TJM that's absolutely awful. Rest assured what you went through will at least help others, including us in a couple of months. No way is she coming over without easily enough physical money.

No it is not. You have six months from the date of your medical to use your visa. It is a one time use visa and you cannot put it aside and visit. Your next entry to the US will be on that visa and no other. You are free to leave the US once you have arrived, but would not be able to return without AOSing/AP or obtaining a new visa.

My heart absolutely aches for you and I understand what you've gone through. I'm so very sorry. The good news is that, if she's willing to wait a while, she can actually return and try again someday (unlike in the US where if you're refused.. you're refused). To me being concerned over her amount of cash is nothing more than an excuse to them. It's as if they've never heard of ATM cards. Unfortunately, you can bring all the proof in the world and they still may not be satisfied. If I can encourage though... the bright side is that you will be together soon. I'm betting it won't be long now until you have an approval.

Thank you all for your kind words!

My Fiancé is waiting for her UK (Visitor) visa to be approved as we speak. We were advised by the UKBA to apply for the visa and provide further evidence.

I've wired her some money and her parents have given her some extra cash just so she can "prove" she has Sterling to bring in the country so hopefully that + the visa will mean she is allowed in!

Unfortunately she will be missing a family wedding this weekend because of the whole situation which we are devistated about but like you guys said, hopefully we won't be waiting around too much longer for our NOA2!!

Just to further inform everybody - Apparantly the UKBA are very interested in lone young women who are visiting "friends/boyfriends/fiancees" in the UK.

TL;DR - Bring as much evidence as possible to the UK border if you are visiting your fiancé! Bring your birth video if you have it!!

I'll keep you posted!

Thank you all for your kind words!

My Fiancé is waiting for her UK (Visitor) visa to be approved as we speak. We were advised by the UKBA to apply for the visa and provide further evidence.

I've wired her some money and her parents have given her some extra cash just so she can "prove" she has Sterling to bring in the country so hopefully that + the visa will mean she is allowed in!

Unfortunately she will be missing a family wedding this weekend because of the whole situation which we are devistated about but like you guys said, hopefully we won't be waiting around too much longer for our NOA2!!

Just to further inform everybody - Apparantly the UKBA are very interested in lone young women who are visiting "friends/boyfriends/fiancees" in the UK.

TL;DR - Bring as much evidence as possible to the UK border if you are visiting your fiancé! Bring your birth video if you have it!!

I'll keep you posted!

Yes. That is true. However I cannot guarantee she'll get a visa either, they also can refuse those just as coldly. And even if she does obtain one, you can expect they'll still be suspicious as they were before. Technically she needs no visa even if she has been refused on the VWP, as the UK let's you try again if you can satisfy them. It would require a good waiting period to be safe. I've got some evidence of that.

It's still a terrible shame and madness. I am very sorry for you guys really.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Yes, let us know how you get on.

With my brother's wife she was refused twice. One of the appeals was rejected on the basis that my brother provided no documentation to support the case. He had provided it, and had a receipt to prove it was delivered and signed for. UKBA admitted that it had been signed for, and had gone missing, but they said that they'd have dismissed the appeal anyway (which goes to show that there isn't really much use sending them any documents, and they can make decisions without them!). My father's MP Damien Hirst was absolutely useless as well - he didn't seem much bothered by fact that UKBA was a complete shambles (I guess he viewed it that so long as UKBA was keeping brown people out, it was doing a good job, even if they were married to British citizens and just wanting to attend a family celebration).

The whole thing made me rather ashamed to be British, and it was so great when my brothers wife was easily able to get a visa to visit the USA for our wedding. We should all bear in mind when dealing with US immigration that things could be worse, we could be dealing with the idiots at UKBA

Edited by Limey

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Quickie question: does an e-ticket printout (essentially a printed email) qualify as proof of a return flight?

June 11th 2015 - NOA1. off to California Service Center :D

July 27th - NOA2 !!! much faster than expected

August 19th - rang NVC, got LND case number and told our file is 'about to go to London'

August 20th - booked medical at Knightsbridge for September 16th, 10:10am. Feels good.

September 1st - rearranged medical for October 5th, 13:30, because reasons.

September 4th - packet 3 received.

October 5th - medical completed at Knightsbridge. X-ray technician suggested playing Barry White during the procedure.

November 12th - visa interview. Nailed it!

November 20th - collected visa package from DX Southampton

December 6th - one way flight to Philadelphia!

December 31st - getting married! :wow:

NOA1 to Interview: 5 months and 1 day.

Hi there.

longdistancelovesongs.wordpress.com

https://instagram.com/jonathan9six

https://instagram.com/moose9six

https://twitter.com/Jonathan9six

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

Just thought I'd give people my experience in entering the US whilst in the process of a K1 visa application (at Texas Service Centre)

I don't currently have a job, nor do I have a home in my name at the moment so I was a little nervous about presenting items to prove my return to UK. I printed out bank statements, a letter to confirm a course of study I am on, my I-129 application, letter from our Attorney confirming representation and my e-ticket as proof of return.

I approached the immigration desk at Philadelphia airport and was greeted by two officers (it seems one was in training) they were very nice and asked me my reason for visit. I told them I was visiting my fiancé, this sparked their attention and it seems her training came into action.... she asked me what our wedding date was, I said we hadn't set one as our K1 had not yet been approved. The officer training her smiled and said that they were the correct answers. She asked me to tell them my travel history to the US (I'd been once in 2014 and once in 2008) again, he said this was good.

They discussed in front of me why my entry was not suspicious (I knew what a K1 was, I hadn't arranged a wedding date etc) They didn't ask to see any of the documents I'd collected.

She stamped my passport and wished myself and my fiancé well. Less than 10 minutes and I was through, I couldn't believe it!!

Also when my fiancé met me at arrivals he'd just had an email to advise that we had received our NOA2 approval notice!

A very good experience, despite my weeks of nerves running up to the trip and reading all the advice on this forum.

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi guys,

I am currently visiting my fiancé in New York, and I thought I'd tell you a bit about my experience at JFK airport upon my arrival on July 15th.

I was quite nervous, since I don't have a paid job at the moment (only an unpaid internship), and I'm staying at my parents' house for the time being. I had brought a letter from my boss and from my unemployment insurance company stating that i have 4 weeks of vacation, and that i must return to work as well to a meeting with the unemployment company in order to continue to recieve unemployment benefits. i also had m return ticket as well as a copy of our i-129f and NOA1. i was worried that this wouldn't be enough, but in fact I wasn't asked to show any documents at all.

The immigration officer asked about my business in the US, to which I answered "vacation". He also asked about my return date, which i of course told him as well. but he literally asked nothing more than that. It was really easy peasy, and I have never experienced an easier and faster entryto the US. No line for the immigration officers, and my luggage was right there when i got out. I was so happy and relieved!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello everyone I just enter this site and I need help please I live in alabama and my fiancé live in nigeria can I file for him at California service center cos I don't want to file in at texas cos of delay.....hope no problem on that..

Hello everyone I just enter this site and I need help please I live in alabama and my fiancé live in nigeria can I file for him at California service center cos I don't want to file in at texas cos of delay.....hope no problem on that..

Hi All,

First of all a great thread..or a book now :)

I am an US citizen in US. My wife is in India. Married since 15 years.

She has applied for immigrant visa in IR category. I-130 is cleared.

Affidavit of support is in progress.

As schools have started in the US, she would like to come to US and join the kids. Is there any way for her to come to US when AOS and Consulate processing are pending.

BTW she had US Green Card fo 8 years and then surrendered it few years back as she was out of USA for several year.

She also has a valid B1 on her passport.

Can she come and visit the kids in US?

Thanks Much

I'm just back after visiting my fiancé, a few weeks after receiving our NOA2... On arrival I was asked purpose of my visit and I replied visiting my fiance. He asked when I was leaving and I gave the date, which was in 2.5 weeks time.I said I had a letter from my real estate confirming the lease for my unit as well as a letter from my employer. He didn't need to see them and complimented me on my perfume...after such a long flight I had overdosed on perfume when I landed lol.

POE:Los Angeles... It was a very easy experience.

(LA /San Franscisco are main POE for flights from Australia, and Dallas I think as well for some Qantas flights)

Edited by Ausa

ROC Window Opened: Thursday 7th December 2017

Posted Package: Friday 8th December

Package Received at USCIS: Monday 11th December

Check Cashed: Thursday 21 December

NOA Received: Wednesday 27 December

NOA Dated: Tuesday 12 December

Biometrics Letter Received: Saturday 13 January 2018

Biometrics Letter Notice Date: Friday 5 January

Biometrics Appointment: Wednesday 24 January

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 30 July (in an envelope from 'Potomac Service Center' Arlington VA)

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 08 August (in an envelope from 'Vermont Service Center' St Albans VT) different version!

On February 27, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

On April 9, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

N-400 Applied 7th December 2018

N400 Interview 11th July 2019. Ended up being a ROC combo interview

ROC Approved 11th July 2019 (a few hours after interview)

N-400 Approved 11th July (a few hours after interview)

Oath Ceremony 22nd July - I am now a US citizen!

I went through Philadelphia:

Thursday July 11: I had my Naturalization Interview

Thursday July 11: A few hours later updated to show Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled

Friday July 12: Oath Ceremony Notice was mailed

Monday July 22: Oath Ceremony

Wednesday July 24: Certificare of Naturalization was mailed

Filed: Timeline

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any advice for my soon to be wife and I regarding this topic.

We will be getting married in the UK at the end of October, and a few days later we want to fly to the states together. We will already be married, and she will just be visiting for some time until she has to return to the UK. We understand this fact, so it wont be hard to convince immigration. We plan on having all of our paperwork in order and ready to show them.

We want to begin applying for her visa to the states when we get there as well as have a small reception in the states for my family. This I am still unsure of? As to what qualifies as an official marriage or not, or how this is affected if we are technically already married in another country.

We also would like to go on honeymoon in this time. Our plan was to go to Mexico for about two weeks after the small reception with my family.

This essentially means: Flying into the states after our wedding in the UK, having her stay with my family and I for the period immigration allows (we are planning on three months, but it may have to change according to what I find out), fly to Mexico to visit for two weeks, and then fly back to the states where she will remain for the allowed time ...

Does this sound absolutely mental? or do-able?

AND TO CLARIFY: I am a USC, she is a UKC. We have (and can prove) our relationship for the entire time we've been together. We are currently living in Frankfurt, Germany but plan on leaving soon.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tyler

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I'd imagine this has already been answered in this long thread - and if it is, please do point the way; searching each page was made difficult as a lot of signatures have the very key words I'd be looking for (no way to hide signatures?) - Gary & Aubrey's question from February might be the closest, but not quite fitting like a glove.

I'll try to keep this succinct - I'm the K1 visa applicant from The Netherlands, fiancé is the petitioner from the U.S.

At the beginning of the year we made plans for our wedding later this year, based on expected delays and additional margin. Suffice to say, the delays were much longer. Our mistake and we have no problem accepting that and working with what we've got. However, what we've got now is me having an interview scheduled (also much delayed compared to the website's delay claims ... spotting a pattern) at 9 days before the date we had picked, and I would obviously prefer arriving even sooner so that I can be there to help everything get set up.

If everything goes well and the visa is issued immediately, there's no problem, I will enter on the K1 and go from there.

But what if things don't go well and the visa visa will be issued at a later time?

Optimistically I would say "I'll just travel as a visitor with a return ticket, we'll go through with the wedding ceremony (but NOT the legal papers required for marriage / nor is it a religious ceremony / in other words for everybody but us it would be 'just for show')" - but what exactly would happen if the visa ends up getting issued while I'm over there? I wouldn't be able to 'enter' the country with the K1 visa because 1. I'm already in the country and 2. I wouldn't actually have the documents. Would I have to cut the trip short and pick those materials up asap and go from there, or could I do so at any time (within the 90 days to get legally married), thus leaving us with the freedom to proceed with the ceremony / honeymoon?

I'd love to learn why this would be a bad idea (besides being a logistical nightmare) - or, if this is a so-so idea, what materials I should bring with me just in case?

tl;dr: Traveling between the date of the interview and the date of K1 visa issuance - go or no go?

Side-question: What if things don't go well at all and the visa is actually denied? As one of the visitor visa (ESTA) questions is usually whether you've ever been denied a visa, that question would go from 'no' to 'yes' while I'm there.

Thank you so much in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I'm going to answer myself here as the answer is, in retrospect, obvious (just lapsed my mind). At the interview, they'll take my passport. As they're taking my passport, I *cannot* actually travel until that is issued back to me (with or without included visa). So my whole scenario - and thus question - is moot. Feeling bummed, but head held high :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.