Michele and Adam

Yes, you can visit!

2,472 posts in this topic

I'm sure all the vets on this board are tired of this daily question, but keep in mind that dozens of people are just starting this process every day, and the "can I visit while the application is pending?" question is one, if not the, most pressing matters to most of them.

Information about this is all over this site, but scattered. I for one am a person who likes to hear personal experiences too, so I can make a decision based on what others in my similar situation have gone through.

The answer is yes, visits are allowed. But whether you will actually be admitted lies entirely in the hands of the officer questioning you upon entry. And face it, hearing you've got a sweetheart you're intending to/have married waiting for you in the US is going to set off a "he/she is just going to stay here forever" bell to that officer. It's your job to convince that officer that you have a life back in your home country that you fully intend, and will, go back to.

Anyway, I'm hoping people will post their experiences visiting the USC before and during the visa journey. I'm sure that all of us do visit legally, and do leave when we're supposed to. So, is there anything that worked for you? Hindered you? If you were ever denied, why? Were you able to remedy the situation and try again?

Going through customs can make your stomach turn, and make you feel like a criminal even though you've done nothing wrong. So, let's try to calm each other down and tell each other our experiences. I think we'll find that most of us are admitted (albeit with a little hassle, perhaps).

Vets, maybe this will cut down on having to answer the question 5 times a day!

Michele

Hey so i know i can visit as I have visited my fiancé a million times Im just wondering if after I fill out my DS160 which asks you to put down your five most recent visits to the U.S can you visit again after or do you have to keep updating your DS160 each time you visit

Thanks in Advance !!

Edited by 12ag61

Hold onto your hat its going to be a bumpy ride!!

but don't worry you'll get through it :luv:

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi,

Hopefully a nice and simple question. My fiancé and I have just started a K1 application. We have just received NOA1. I am booked to fly out to the states in April (aware of the risks), however, we plan to drive into Canada for one day during my trip. Will I have any trouble going into Canada or coming back into the states? Surely once Im in the States im ok and I can travel freely as long as I return when I say I will?

Thanks

Levy

I have the exact same question- my fiance is visiting for Christmas, and we'd like to drive to Montreal for a couple of days while he is here. I'm not nervous about him entering the US (he has to go back to Sweden to finish graduate school next semester); however, I am iffy about pushing our luck and having him re enter the US again from Canada. Did you have any problems with this and what was your experience like?

Thank you!

K-1

Nov 23, 2015: I-129F Packet sent to Dallas
Dec 8, 2015: NOA1 hard copy received - Notice dated Dec 1
Jan 16, 2016: NOA2 hard copy received- Noticed dated Jan 11

March 31, 2016: Interview- approved!

June 30, 2016: POE Boston

July 2, 2016: Married

AOS

July 7, 2016: AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

July 18, 2016: NOA 1 hard copies received

August 11, 2016: Biometric walk in completed

September 22, 2016: EAD/AP Approval notice

November 14, 2017: AOS Interview- approved on the spot!

December 1, 2017: 2 year conditional green card received

ROC

September 16, 2019: I-751 sent

September 23, 2019: NOA1 and 18 month GC extension letter received- packet headed to Vermont

July 25, 2020: Approved, no interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have the exact same question- my fiance is visiting for Christmas, and we'd like to drive to Montreal for a couple of days while he is here. I'm not nervous about him entering the US (he has to go back to Sweden to finish graduate school next semester); however, I am iffy about pushing our luck and having him re enter the US again from Canada. Did you have any problems with this and what was your experience like?

Thank you!

Hi,

We never actually made the trip to Canada, but looking at the posts in the thread, it is possible just bring lots of proof of everything.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

My experience: I visited my fiancé for the holidays and returned yesterday. I prepared all of the documents mentioned in this thread but I wasn't asked for any. The only question I was asked was "Who are you visiting?" I said my boyfriend and he responded "That's a great reason to visit, enjoy your trip". Easy as that lol, I was so glad it was smooth. My POE was Atlanta.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Thought I'd share my fiance's experience as we just went through this- he came to visit for 3 weeks over the holidays. Was asked who he was visiting (POE was JFK) and said his fiancé. They took him into a back room for further questions, but only wanted to ask about his previous studies in America as he completed his bachelors degree in New York. We took a 2 day trip into Canada while he was here, and again on re entry into America, we were asked to go inside the customs building so they could ask him a few questions- and again only about his previous studies because they could see he had spent 4 years studying in the states. No problems whatsoever concerning the K-1 although we hadn't received our NOA2 yet. I'm doubtful they can see anywhere on their side that a K-1 is pending (pre NOA2 at least) since they never asked for any details surrounding it even when he specifically mentioned he was visiting his fiancé. Hope this makes everyone else feel better!

K-1

Nov 23, 2015: I-129F Packet sent to Dallas
Dec 8, 2015: NOA1 hard copy received - Notice dated Dec 1
Jan 16, 2016: NOA2 hard copy received- Noticed dated Jan 11

March 31, 2016: Interview- approved!

June 30, 2016: POE Boston

July 2, 2016: Married

AOS

July 7, 2016: AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

July 18, 2016: NOA 1 hard copies received

August 11, 2016: Biometric walk in completed

September 22, 2016: EAD/AP Approval notice

November 14, 2017: AOS Interview- approved on the spot!

December 1, 2017: 2 year conditional green card received

ROC

September 16, 2019: I-751 sent

September 23, 2019: NOA1 and 18 month GC extension letter received- packet headed to Vermont

July 25, 2020: Approved, no interview

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hoping someone can help me. Sorry new here, hope this is the right section.

I began dating my girlfriend early December last year, we met online and then for first time in person late December. To say it was something of a whirlwind romance is an understatement, we married early January and I flew back home not long after.

We want to begin processing a I-130 visa but my concern is this: we hadn't intended to get married when we met in December but get married we did and when I fly back to see her next month, what do I say to the border guard? Do I say I'm visiting friends or do I state I'm visiting my wife and get hauled through the interview process to prove not only we know each other but I intend to return home (which I do, my job as it happens requires a 3 month notice period). Any advice will be greatly and gratefully appreciated :)

Hi! I will be visiting my fiancé from Feb. 1st to March 13th. I have a signed work contract stating that I start working on March 14th, but I have no other ties to Canada (I live with my parents, my car is paid for). I also have a return flight, of course.

Do you think it will be sufficient?

Do you have any suggestions of other paperwork I could bring with me?

Thanks!

Hoping someone can help me. Sorry new here, hope this is the right section.

I began dating my girlfriend early December last year, we met online and then for first time in person late December. To say it was something of a whirlwind romance is an understatement, we married early January and I flew back home not long after.

We want to begin processing a I-130 visa but my concern is this: we hadn't intended to get married when we met in December but get married we did and when I fly back to see her next month, what do I say to the border guard? Do I say I'm visiting friends or do I state I'm visiting my wife and get hauled through the interview process to prove not only we know each other but I intend to return home (which I do, my job as it happens requires a 3 month notice period). Any advice will be greatly and gratefully appreciated :)

1) if a border guard asks you a question you should answer truthfully. Always. If you say you are visiting friends, that isn't true and if they later find out that you didn't tell the truth that can cause problems later in the process.

2) I think the chances of being admitted to the US as a tourist when you are married to a US citizen who resides there aren't great. I entered a few times while engaged to a US citizen, but I could if challenged point to my previous visits (where I'd always left well before i94 expired) plus I could show that I was some way along the k1 visa process (and thus was doing things the "right way"). If you haven't yet applied for a spouse visa then you don't have that to point to, and they may be aware that it takes a year or so, that is a long time to be away from your wife.

Since you are married I'm not sure they can remove you easily once you enter the US if you decide to stay on - so that may be another reason to deny entry.

If you did want to risk the trip, your best hope is that they don't ask who you are visiting. I was rarely asked this when I travelled to the US so didn't need to mention my fiancee.

Hi! I will be visiting my fiancé from Feb. 1st to March 13th. I have a signed work contract stating that I start working on March 14th, but I have no other ties to Canada (I live with my parents, my car is paid for). I also have a return flight, of course.

Do you think it will be sufficient?

Do you have any suggestions of other paperwork I could bring with me?

Thanks!

I'd bring paperwork showing you've started the k1 process (assuming that you have). I always brought that - if the border guard can see I'm well down the proper process, he can see that I have little to gain and much to lose by staying on.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Timeline

1) if a border guard asks you a question you should answer truthfully. Always. If you say you are visiting friends, that isn't true and if they later find out that you didn't tell the truth that can cause problems later in the process.

2) I think the chances of being admitted to the US as a tourist when you are married to a US citizen who resides there aren't great. I entered a few times while engaged to a US citizen, but I could if challenged point to my previous visits (where I'd always left well before i94 expired) plus I could show that I was some way along the k1 visa process (and thus was doing things the "right way"). If you haven't yet applied for a spouse visa then you don't have that to point to, and they may be aware that it takes a year or so, that is a long time to be away from your wife.

Since you are married I'm not sure they can remove you easily once you enter the US if you decide to stay on - so that may be another reason to deny entry.

If you did want to risk the trip, your best hope is that they don't ask who you are visiting. I was rarely asked this when I travelled to the US so didn't need to mention my fiancee.

My wife has spoken to USCIS and asked them regarding our situation, they've advised that as long as I have a valid ESTA, I can visit the States regardless of being married. I'm not actually planning on staying in the States beyond my stay as I'll have a return flight and commitments at home to attend to.

I'm going over to file the I-130 document before coming home. As my wife is now considered immediate family in the eyes of the law, I won't lie, I'll say the purpose of my visit is to visit family. Additionally I intend to bring paperwork that proves I'm returning, letter from employer and landlord.

Out of curiosity what makes you think my chances of being admitted aren't great, I ask because its contrary to advice we've received from USCIS.

My wife has spoken to USCIS and asked them regarding our situation, they've advised that as long as I have a valid ESTA, I can visit the States regardless of being married. I'm not actually planning on staying in the States beyond my stay as I'll have a return flight and commitments at home to attend to.

I'm going over to file the I-130 document before coming home. As my wife is now considered immediate family in the eyes of the law, I won't lie, I'll say the purpose of my visit is to visit family. Additionally I intend to bring paperwork that proves I'm returning, letter from employer and landlord.

Out of curiosity what makes you think my chances of being admitted aren't great, I ask because its contrary to advice we've received from USCIS.

To clarify: the USCIS has no say on whether or not you may or may not enter the country. This is in the domain of the CBP. They have the only say that counts. All you can do is present your evidence if called upon to do so, and be honest when asked. As you can see there are many success stories (spouses and fiancés) and mixed in with some successes there are some failures. The failures often lead people to be fearful and not try it or lead them to undue nervousness. Sometimes despite all of your honesty, a CBP won't go for it in some odd cases. My suggestion is to bring what proof you can, perhaps don't stay a full 90 day max, have a return ticket and travel insurance.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

To clarify: the USCIS has no say on whether or not you may or may not enter the country. This is in the domain of the CBP. They have the only say that counts. All you can do is present your evidence if called upon to do so, and be honest when asked. As you can see there are many success stories (spouses and fiancés) and mixed in with some successes there are some failures. The failures often lead people to be fearful and not try it or lead them to undue nervousness. Sometimes despite all of your honesty, a CBP won't go for it in some odd cases. My suggestion is to bring what proof you can, perhaps don't stay a full 90 day max, have a return ticket and travel insurance.

I should clarify. In terms of what is already arranged, I'm not planning on staying beyond a week in February and a week in March. I have 33 vacation days a year so we're trying to be smart with my visits and keep them fairly short to enable more visits. I can ask my employer whether they will provide me a letter that verifies I intend to return to England, print out 3 months of bank statements that show bills, credit agreements and a letter from my landlord stating I intend to return. On top of the fact I'll have a return flights within a week or 8 nights at most, I'm hoping this is more than enough. Because to me, this seems somewhat excessive.

I'll be honest, when I arrive in February I'll state I'm seeing Friends and Family which I am. My wife immediate family after all! I'm not intending to mislead anyone, I just want to be able to visit a week at a time every 8-10 weeks, this to me does not seem unreasonable. But then perhaps I'm just somewhat naive.

Be honest. Say you are visiting your wife. I don't know how many times you visited prior to the wedding trip (was that your first time in the US? Or at least your first time in that city?) but they can see when you travelled there before. It looks more suspicious to say "friends and family" when you have only been there once before (and that was only last month). They will want to know how you met these "friends" or why these "family members" are suddenly so dear to you that you have to keep visiting them, having never visited them for the first 20 or 30 years of your life.

People meet online all the time. The average CBP officer must see dozens of such cases each day. Keep it simple. Tell the truth. That way you won't end up getting yourself all caught up in a story. They won't laugh at you. Chances are the CBP officer has dabbled in online dating himself at some point. She's your wife. Tell them that if they ask who you're visiting. They can tell who is trying to skirt around the question with vague answers like "friends and family". If and when your wife does file the I-130 (it's her that files, not you, by the way) then you want your case to be watertight with no blurred lines in the past. They make notes as to what you have said at the border as to the purpose of your entry.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

Be honest. Say you are visiting your wife. I don't know how many times you visited prior to the wedding trip (was that your first time in the US? Or at least your first time in that city?) but they can see when you travelled there before. It looks more suspicious to say "friends and family" when you have only been there once before (and that was only last month). They will want to know how you met these "friends" or why these "family members" are suddenly so dear to you that you have to keep visiting them, having never visited them for the first 20 or 30 years of your life.

People meet online all the time. The average CBP officer must see dozens of such cases each day. Keep it simple. Tell the truth. That way you won't end up getting yourself all caught up in a story. They won't laugh at you. Chances are the CBP officer has dabbled in online dating himself at some point. She's your wife. Tell them that if they ask who you're visiting. They can tell who is trying to skirt around the question with vague answers like "friends and family". If and when your wife does file the I-130 (it's her that files, not you, by the way) then you want your case to be watertight with no blurred lines in the past. They make notes as to what you have said at the border as to the purpose of your entry.

I agree and I'd rather be honest too. I don't want to appear guilty or being dishonest. This visit will be different to the previous visit, we met on the West Coast and married (although it was not planned at all, she spontaneously sprung this on me a couple of days before I was due to leave). This time I'll be visiting the East Coast. I'll bring proof, well as best as I can that I intend to return to the UK. What concerns me is that everytime I go to visit, which will only be a a week at a time at best every 6-8 weeks, I'm going to be running the gauntlet of being turned away simply because of being married.

I have no experience of this... this is the k1 forum so most of us here travelled as fiances rather than spouses.

I do know that once the CBP officers found out I was visiting a girlfriend they were more interested in me, and normally asked me outright whether I was planning on getting married during my trip. They liked the answer when I said no, and that we had a k1 in process so I was waiting for that to complete.

Bear in mind that even though you had no intention of getting married when you entered during your last trip, they might not believe that, or might investigate it further. Its obviously not an everyday thing to get married so quickly.

Mostly I was never asked who I was visiting. I was asked where I was heading (I told them the city/state) and what I planned on doing (beach time, a little bit of touring). Hopefully you won't be asked, especially since your trips are short, and hopefully "visiting family" will be sufficient. Things seem easier to me as well if you're able to use the machines at immigration (if you travelled on ESTA before). I found this gave me a ticket to show to the CBP officer, and they rarely asked any questions.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Timeline

I have no experience of this... this is the k1 forum so most of us here travelled as fiances rather than spouses.

I do know that once the CBP officers found out I was visiting a girlfriend they were more interested in me, and normally asked me outright whether I was planning on getting married during my trip. They liked the answer when I said no, and that we had a k1 in process so I was waiting for that to complete.

Bear in mind that even though you had no intention of getting married when you entered during your last trip, they might not believe that, or might investigate it further. Its obviously not an everyday thing to get married so quickly.

Mostly I was never asked who I was visiting. I was asked where I was heading (I told them the city/state) and what I planned on doing (beach time, a little bit of touring). Hopefully you won't be asked, especially since your trips are short, and hopefully "visiting family" will be sufficient. Things seem easier to me as well if you're able to use the machines at immigration (if you travelled on ESTA before). I found this gave me a ticket to show to the CBP officer, and they rarely asked any questions.

I'm not overly concerned about being investigated, we can prove the legitimacy of our relationship and we can also prove I'm not planning on staying beyond my trip simply because of work commitments and responsibilities.

I have used ESTA before so I will aim to use the machines at immigration.

However if I do see a CBP official, I'd prefer not lie to jeopardize my future I-130 application by lying. I'll contact CBP for some advice on this as well.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.