Enemyz

FIlling out I-130a for spouse

9 posts in this topic

My wife is confused what name she should list on I-130a does she put her maiden name or her married name. I've tried to google this, but I haven't had any luck finding I know on the I-130 you can put married name then under other put maiden, but there is no option for that on the I-130a.

13 minutes ago, Enemyz said:

My wife is confused what name she should list on I-130a does she put her maiden name or her married name. I've tried to google this, but I haven't had any luck finding I know on the I-130 you can put married name then under other put maiden, but there is no option for that on the I-130a.

It should be her current legal name. If her maiden name was legally changed when she married, then she should put her married name.

(It will be the same name as you put for her in Part 4 items 4a-c on the I-130. You will put her maiden name on the I-130 Part 4 Items 5a-c if her family name was legally changed at marriage)

Edited by fdhs

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, fdhs said:

It should be her current legal name. If her maiden name was legally changed when she married, then she should put her married name.

(It will be the same name as you put for her in Part 4 items 4a-c on the I-130. You will put her maiden name on the I-130 Part 4 Items 5a-c if her family name was legally changed at marriage)

Actually, the name she WILL be using from now on, whether it has already been changed legally or will soon be.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

She needs to put her current legal name, whatever it is. I haven't changed my name yet because I didn't want it to mess up the process, so I just put my maiden name in it.

• Service Center: Nebraska Service Center
  • Consulate: Montreal, Canada
  • Marriage: 2017-05-08
  • i130 Sent: 2017-07-07
  • i130 NOA1: 2017-07-12
  • i130 NOA2: 2018-02-15
  • NVC Received: 2018-03-07
  • Case Number Received: 2018-05-10
  • Send AOS Package: 2018-05-23
  • Send IV Package: 2018-07-19
  • Case Completed at NVC: 2018-07-26
  • Interview Date: 2018-10-31 (approved!)
  • Visa in hand: 2018-11-05

Timeline
50 minutes ago, Bethany123 said:

She needs to put her current legal name, whatever it is. I haven't changed my name yet because I didn't want it to mess up the process, so I just put my maiden name in it.

Again, this is not correct.  It might be for YOU, if you don't plan to start using your married name until later or not at all.  However, if a person is intending to have a passport in their married name by the time they have their visa interview, it is both expedient and allowed to use the married name on the forms NOW, even though no "action" has taken place to change the name except the marriage itself.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Again, this is not correct.  It might be for YOU, if you don't plan to start using your married name until later or not at all.  However, if a person is intending to have a passport in their married name by the time they have their visa interview, it is both expedient and allowed to use the married name on the forms NOW, even though no "action" has taken place to change the name except the marriage itself.

Right. I forgot that some people change their name on their passports during the process. 

• Service Center: Nebraska Service Center
  • Consulate: Montreal, Canada
  • Marriage: 2017-05-08
  • i130 Sent: 2017-07-07
  • i130 NOA1: 2017-07-12
  • i130 NOA2: 2018-02-15
  • NVC Received: 2018-03-07
  • Case Number Received: 2018-05-10
  • Send AOS Package: 2018-05-23
  • Send IV Package: 2018-07-19
  • Case Completed at NVC: 2018-07-26
  • Interview Date: 2018-10-31 (approved!)
  • Visa in hand: 2018-11-05

Timeline
4 hours ago, Bethany123 said:

Right. I forgot that some people change their name on their passports during the process. 

The wonderful thing about "choices" is that different people get to make different choices.  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.