KeratNY

Complaint letter to Senator about local Field Office

144 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

Let’s leave ROC alone since you can at least function and as you mention become a citizen. Thats another fight to begin with.

But for sure the fact that now K1’s with bulletproof applications have to wait for an interview I agree is ridiculous. So yes we should send letters around that too.

I guess I’m misunderstanding. Are they not sending out EAD or AP now? I considered having those to be functional, which is why I didn’t mind the wait.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ash.1101 said:

I guess I’m misunderstanding. Are they not sending out EAD or AP now? I considered having those to be functional, which is why I didn’t mind the wait.

I consider having them as functional, but there are limitations when in "limbo".  It's just one of the downsides of a K-1 or tourist visa-to-AOS downsides as compared to a CR-1.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

@KeratNY 

a) You're well within normal legacy waiting times (let alone current ones).

b) You already have EAD and AP, meaning that you are not suffering from any inconveniences due to the process.

c) You have written an obnoxious, condescending letter that wreaks of entitlement, and plan to send it as if it was written by your citizen spouse, essentially attempting to utilize her privileges as your own.

To me, like to most people in the thread, you sound entitled and grandiose.

Keep it real, take advantage of your EAD by getting a job, and wait in line like everybody else.

16 hours ago, KeratNY said:

You appear to have missed the point I have made 4 separate times - this is about the lengthy processing timeline for ALL applications in the NYC Field Office, not  mine, because like I have said from the beginning, I am aware I am relatively early on in the process. Most people contact their senators when their own case is outside of processing timelines, to get help on their own application - my letter is to address the fact that the estimated processing timeline ITSELF is the problem, for the WHOLE community. I don't think I need to wait a few months to communicate a CURRENT issue with a federal agency in their jurisdiction that directly affects  many of their constituents. 

I am perfectly content and happy with my EAD/AP. But I am NOT thrilled that it takes 14-24 months now to adjust status and a couple years ago took 5-7 months. The only reason my application matters is it gives me standing to communicate this...it's not like I can write a Texan senator about the Houston field office for example, because he won't care what I have to say. But my wife's elected representatives should care what she has to say. Otherwise, whether my application takes 6 months or 6 years has no effect on my writing this letter and its purpose in bringing attention from our representatives on a federal agency that is both increasing its fee and substantially increasing its estimated processing timeline.

This is relevant. Thanks for the info.  I have heard 5-7 months, so it looks like your case was on the longer end. But the fact that it took you 10 months and now is taking 14-24 months is worth highlighting to our elected representatives. What if no one said anything and in two more years it took 36 months to adjudicate? What about 48 months? At SOME point it is worth complaining to our representatives about the lengthening timelines. I am choosing this point simply because I am in the process now. My hope is that ALL processing times are cut down, while still being effective, even if that happens well after my application is finished processing. 

I am at 12 months and my field office is Houston, still waiting for the interview to be scheduled.

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ash.1101 said:

Oh sorry, repeatedly we are hearing from T2 and infopass nowadays..."maybe you get your green card before even the EAD/AP dependent on your interview."

It is clear the administration main goal is that EVERYONE must be interviewed and based on the March 2018 report getting those interviews done with in 4-8 months is a goal to strive for. Reality is that goal is near impossible, the main goal of the administration makes goal two even more impossible. So what is happening late 2017 is you are getting certain people get interviewed very fast while all EAD/AP applications are taking longer. We have gone from 90 days in 2016 to around 120 last year, to 140-150 and some people even 8 months or so, again this is all a small data set for now we will have to see how May/June filers do later this year. Also there is data that renewals are taking longer or being more picky, that said most people with honest/strong applications should qualify for auto renewals, unless again they change that too.

Totally agree its functional, just saying the initial waits are getting worse and worse. Is it lack of resources? Political agenda? who knows...

10 hours ago, LoredanaRobert said:

I'm not sure our elected representatives can help unless control of congress or the senate changes hands. They are ripping babies away from mothers and throwing them in detention camps in Texas, so I think longer wait times may unfortunately be part of an intentional strategy to deter immigration, even legal immigration.

Still , that's our process of government so if you don't mind I will use parts of your letter to voice my objections. I am also a NYC office filer and 18 months into the wait.

I don’t think they’re ripping and throwing anyone. They are separating parents and children because the parents have broken the law and are being detained. It is sad that the parents choose to do this to their children. We are doing it legally. We have to be patient. Perhaps the longer wait times are indeed because of those that aren’t going about it legally. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
45 minutes ago, missileman said:

While I concur that immigration processing times are longer than any of us would like, I doubt that a complaint from someone who (1) has not been been forced to be apart from their spouse due to the process and (2) is only 6 months into the process.....will get much attention......but good luck in your quest.

But are you saying a letter from that person drawing their attention to a community-wide issue will be ignored simply because that person is not hurt by it yet? I agree if I was saying "MY case is taking too long, please help MY case" that they would ignore it. But telling them an entire office has seen a major slowdown just needs to come from someone who knows that is the case.

For instance if your dog has escaped off his leash and run out of your yard, do you need only someone bitten by your dog to tell you that it has escaped? Or if someone who merely saw the dog down your street notified you, you would pay attention to that message? 

You don't need to be personally hurt by something to draw attention to it and make people aware of it. You just need to be affected by it - ie "standing." I have standing as an applicant. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
5 hours ago, Boiler said:

Why would they look up her name?

Some Reps have paid staff to handle such issues, others use Interns. I am sure all have standard letters that can be used to respond to common enquiries.

Processing times I would think is a common issue.

I could just see Gillibrand's staffer rolling her eyes and tossing the paper into the rubbish. 

8 minutes ago, KeratNY said:

But are you saying a letter from that person drawing their attention to a community-wide issue will be ignored simply because that person is not hurt by it yet? I agree if I was saying "MY case is taking too long, please help MY case" that they would ignore it. But telling them an entire office has seen a major slowdown just needs to come from someone who knows that is the case.

For instance if your dog has escaped off his leash and run out of your yard, do you need only someone bitten by your dog to tell you that it has escaped? Or if someone who merely saw the dog down your street notified you, you would pay attention to that message? 

You don't need to be personally hurt by something to draw attention to it and make people aware of it. You just need to be affected by it - ie "standing." I have standing as an applicant. 

Actually there’s been plenty of people who have had their cases expedited by saying MY case Is XYZ. The senator never responds back, but their case magically gets done before others who sent in before them, or MUCH a faster than normal processing times. It’s seen a lot here on VJ.

which again is why I’m saying I’m not against writing your senator, I’ve seen it work, but these people pleaded. It wasn’t a nice formal letter, it was desperation and 99% of the time it was justified. It wasn’t what this whole thing is.

Edited by Ash.1101

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Timeline
13 minutes ago, hispany said:

@KeratNY 

a) You're well within normal legacy waiting times (let alone current ones).

b) You already have EAD and AP, meaning that you are not suffering from any inconveniences due to the process.

c) You have written an obnoxious, condescending letter that wreaks of entitlement, and plan to send it as if it was written by your citizen spouse, essentially attempting to utilize her privileges as your own.

To me, like to most people in the thread, you sound entitled and grandiose.

Keep it real, take advantage of your EAD by getting a job, and wait in line like everybody else.

I have addressed all these points ad nauseam and you are choosing to ignore them. Specifically, I have agreed to a) and b) from the very beginning. So making the point I have already made several times is not advancing your case. I'm guessing I'm not the first person to tell you this in your life. 

C) is your opinion and if you have specific commentary on what sounds like that I am happy to incorporate. Any sort of complaint letter to a congressman, from pollution to corrupt cops to rambunctious teenagers is gonna sound somewhat condescending because you are asking someone else to fix an issue. 

I am happy to sound obnoxious if it means a Senator is aware of the issues at the local office at a federal agency and she can decide what to do from there. But I tried to back up my sentiments with some numbers and hard facts. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ash.1101 said:

Actually there’s been plenty of people who have had their cases expedited by saying MY case Is XYZ. The senator never responds back, but their case magically gets done before others who sent in before them, or MUCH a faster than normal processing times. It’s seen a lot here on VJ.

which again is why I’m saying I’m not against writing your senator, I’ve seen it work, but these people pleaded. It wasn’t a nice formal letter, it was desperation and 99% of the time it was justified.

Sure. My situation is different from them and my letter is different from theirs. I am not asking for a second of help on my own application. I am not desperate. I don't need to plead for anything. I am good with my case. But I am merely bringing attention to a wider issue than me specifically and I think that is a message worth conveying. 

3 minutes ago, KeratNY said:

I But I tried to back up my sentiments with some numbers and hard facts. 

And just as a note again, your letter has incorrect AOS cost.

its not 1700$. (On cell phone so I know it’s not 1700$ you put but somewhere around there) It’s 1225$. 

Edited by Ash.1101

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

Spoiler

Spoiler

06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

Timeline
9 minutes ago, mcdull said:

I could just see Gillibrand's staffer rolling her eyes and tossing the paper into the rubbish. 

Is that how you think Senators respond to their constituents for everything? Or do they usually care, even 1%, about an issue affecting 10s of thousands of their constituents? What is her job, and why does her website take submissions, if not to listen to the issues affecting their constituencies? If anything, I think they might throw away the letters that address only 1 person's case, not a letter that discusses the impact on 10s of thousands of cases?

Edited by KeratNY

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ash.1101 said:

And just as a note again, your letter has incorrect AOS cost.

its not 1700$. (On cell phone so I know it’s not 1700$ you put but somewhere around there) It’s 1225$. 

Thanks. I paid $1700 so that must have included EAD or something. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.