beckyhol

just married, changing name, have green card, applying for citizenship, AND renewing UK passport

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi!

New to this forum but looking for some advice on how and more specifically, when, to change my name.

-I have resided in the US for 17 years and have had a green card for the past 12

-I have a UK passport that expired this month, I went to the consulate for an "emergency passport" for travel for my honeymoon this past week (expires in 6 months, but isn't technically valid for any travel now)

-my green card is valid for another 8  years

-I got married a week ago to a US citizen and plan to change my name to his

-I was planning on applying for naturalization last year, but held off due to job changes etc

SO- where do I start? Do I change my name first with social security? Apply for naturalization ASAP? Can I apply for a new British passport in my new name, which will not match my green card, and will that cause issues when I apply for naturalization?

I'm going around in circles here. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You can apply online for your UK passport. There's different things explained pretty well depending on if renewing, changing a name, or whatever. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

When you marry, you can start using your husband's name immediately. Getting it changed everywhere just takes some time, but there is no particular place to officially start like Social Security or bank or passport or driver license.or credit card. Just work through it. You will need to get your certified marriage certificate for some things as your proof of name change. 

Any travel is best ticketed in the name on the photo ID you will be presenting. When you get your new U.K. Passport, just have a photocopy of your marriage certificate with you to explain the difference in your (new) passport name and greencard name if needed. It shouldn't pose a problem. I asked the passport checker guy at Heathrow once about that and if they saw a lot of documents with different names because of recent marriages. He said, "all day long." They need to show the marriage certificate.

A name change on your greencard will cost over $400. Might as well keep using it coupled with your marriage certificate when needed. I would just do the citizenship thing over paying that much for a new greencard. I'm not even sure if Social Security will change your name until USCIS has you in their records under the Married name.  They are so particular about your name has to be found in the SAVE database. Unless you had a greencard or naturalization certificate in your married name, they might not do it. I really don't know...just thinking out loud. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

I'm not an expert. But,  i think you can just apply for naturalization. (correct me if I'm wrong).

1. I think since you have a green card and been living in the US for more than 5 years. Technically you can apply for naturalization even if you just got married from a US citizen. I don't think, that your green card needs to reflect your married name since the USCIS didn't granted you through marriage. Again technically you are LPR  for more than 5 years so you can apply for Naturalization.

2. I had a different situation, I have my maiden name on my passport and married name on green card(my LPR status was married to a US citizen). I didn't have any problem during naturalization interview, or any government paperwork, I always included marriage certificate.  

3. With Social Security, I'm not sure if they would change your last name for that reason. And this is correct

On 6/9/2018 at 10:30 PM, Wuozopo said:

They are so particular about your name has to be found in the SAVE database. Unless you had a greencard or naturalization certificate in your married name, they might not do it. I really don't know...just thinking out loud. 

When I applied for SSN, it took 2-3 weeks If my memory is correct, because the couldn't find my name in the SAVE database. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

When I got married, I applied to update my UK passport,  it was not successful. I was told a US marriage certificate isn't valid proof of name change and I will have to do a deed poll, so I never bothered.

Till this day, my Hong Kong passport shows one name and UK passport shows another.

But again, I have a  British National Overseas passport, not a British Citizen passport, so not sure if that makes any difference. 

On 6/14/2018 at 1:43 PM, mcdull said:

When I got married, I applied to update my UK passport,  it was not successful. I was told a US marriage certificate isn't valid proof of name change and I will have to do a deed poll, so I never bothered.

Till this day, my Hong Kong passport shows one name and UK passport shows another.

But again, I have a  British National Overseas passport, not a British Citizen passport, so not sure if that makes any difference. 

I changed my UK passport while living in the US, sending just my marriage certificate and had no problems. New passport with new (married)name arrived some weeks later. But it WAS a British Citizen passport.  

I used to carry with me UK passport, US Green card showing married name and copy of marriage certificate. Never had a problem. Always ensure ticket is booked in name on passport though, not name on Green card for overseas travel.

22 hours ago, kdg said:

I changed my UK passport while living in the US, sending just my marriage certificate and had no problems. New passport with new (married)name arrived some weeks later. But it WAS a British Citizen passport.  

I used to carry with me UK passport, US Green card showing married name and copy of marriage certificate. Never had a problem. Always ensure ticket is booked in name on passport though, not name on Green card for overseas travel.

I renewed my British passport this year, they wouldn't change my name to my married name without proof that I have already changed it in the US i.e bank statements, social security etc. I sent them my marriage certificate. I just told them to keep it in my maiden name, they then requested proof that I am using my maiden name:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Mahanya said:

I renewed my British passport this year, they wouldn't change my name to my married name without proof that I have already changed it in the US i.e bank statements, social security etc. I sent them my marriage certificate. I just told them to keep it in my maiden name, they then requested proof that I am using my maiden name:rolleyes:

OMG!!! They must have got strict since last year. I did it all online and then just sent my passport and marriage certificate. I don't recall them asking for anything else?!!  New passport came about 5 weeks later.......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.