O.C

Importing a Vehicle (Subaru) Without TPMS - Success!

225 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 9/3/2020 at 9:59 PM, Ontarkie said:

If anyone has recently followed the advice in this thread, please let me know if it is still good or not. If the advice  is no longer relevant/works I will lock the thread. 

This advice is still good. There are quite a few people on the Canadian FB group I follow who have successfully imported their cars with aftermarket TPMS in 2020. My fiance plans on doing this as well when he moves some time this year. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/14/2021 at 11:49 AM, pooj97 said:

This advice is still good. There are quite a few people on the Canadian FB group I follow who have successfully imported their cars with aftermarket TPMS in 2020. My fiance plans on doing this as well when he moves some time this year. 

It is also potentially wrong. I confirmed with the border crossing I wanted to go through and they said it can not be after market. If you are close to a crossing it is probably worth attempting but I have an 8 hour drive and did not want to risk it.

Timeline
On 10/2/2020 at 1:08 PM, gavinski91 said:

For the TPMS issue, since it's based on regulations in place at the time when the vehicle was manufactured, I'm assuming that vehicles of model year 2007 or older do not require TPMS systems in order to import. Can anyone confirm if that is the case?

Coming back months later to answer my own question. NHTSA lists rules and requirements for vehicle import here: http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

The spreadsheet titled "Vehicles Certified by Their Original Manufacturer as Complying with All Applicable CMVSS" includes the following in the list of descriptions of eligible vehicles:

(d) All passenger cars manufactured on or after September 1, 2002, and before September 1, 2007, that, as originally manufactured, are equipped with an automatic restraint system that complies with FMVSS No. 208, and that comply with FMVSS Nos. 201, 214, 225, and 401;

All vehicles manufactured on or after September 1, 2007 include in their description that they must comply with FMVSS No. 138, which is the TPMS requirement. Vehicles manufactured before September 1, 2007 do not need TPMS to be imported (provided they meet all the other requirements).

On 1/17/2021 at 1:12 PM, jackanddeona said:

It is also potentially wrong. I confirmed with the border crossing I wanted to go through and they said it can not be after market. If you are close to a crossing it is probably worth attempting but I have an 8 hour drive and did not want to risk it.

At the same link as above you can find the NHTSA document titled "Vehicle Importation Guidelines (Canadian)." That document says that a vehicle which does not comply with FMVSS No. 138 can only be imported if you show customs:

an invoice ... showing that a tire pressure monitoring system identical to, and with the same part number(s) as the system the manufacturer installs on vehicles manufactured for sale in the United States has been installed on the vehicle for which entry is sought.

So it's very clear that aftermarket TPMS systems do not make the vehicle eligible for import into the US - the system must be OEM and installed by a dealer or a manufacturer-certified repair facility. Some folks appear to have gotten lucky and had their vehicles approved by customs officers who do not know the rules.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

Coming back months later to answer my own question. NHTSA lists rules and requirements for vehicle import here: http://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

The spreadsheet titled "Vehicles Certified by Their Original Manufacturer as Complying with All Applicable CMVSS" includes the following in the list of descriptions of eligible vehicles:

All vehicles manufactured on or after September 1, 2007 include in their description that they must comply with FMVSS No. 138, which is the TPMS requirement. Vehicles manufactured before September 1, 2007 do not need TPMS to be imported (provided they meet all the other requirements).

At the same link as above you can find the NHTSA document titled "Vehicle Importation Guidelines (Canadian)." That document says that a vehicle which does not comply with FMVSS No. 138 can only be imported if you show customs:

So it's very clear that aftermarket TPMS systems do not make the vehicle eligible for import into the US - the system must be OEM and installed by a dealer or a manufacturer-certified repair facility. Some folks appear to have gotten lucky and had their vehicles approved by customs officers who do not know the rules.

Exactly. I confirmed with multiple border agents at the crossing I will use and they said it had to be manufacturer. Again like I said before it is completely up to the individual if they want to attempt this "hack" around the rules but you can and should expect to be denied without OEM installation. I needed a new vehicle anyways so I sold mine and purchased a 2016 Nissan rogue as it has every requirement to be imported (other than daytime headlights needing to be dimmed). There are 4 options I see for people with a non compliant car that the manufacturer does not install TPMS:

1 - Sell car and purchase one in the states if you need a new one

2 - Sell car and purchase a compliant car in Canada

3 - Attempt an aftermarket TPMS if you feel like its an acceptable risk to be denied

4 - Don't import car when you move as you have 1 year to either destroy the car or take it back across the border and sell it

All up to personal situation and preference as far as which option you choose.

Timeline
On 1/20/2021 at 2:25 PM, jackanddeona said:

Exactly. I confirmed with multiple border agents at the crossing I will use and they said it had to be manufacturer. Again like I said before it is completely up to the individual if they want to attempt this "hack" around the rules but you can and should expect to be denied without OEM installation. I needed a new vehicle anyways so I sold mine and purchased a 2016 Nissan rogue as it has every requirement to be imported (other than daytime headlights needing to be dimmed). There are 4 options I see for people with a non compliant car that the manufacturer does not install TPMS:

1 - Sell car and purchase one in the states if you need a new one

2 - Sell car and purchase a compliant car in Canada

3 - Attempt an aftermarket TPMS if you feel like its an acceptable risk to be denied

4 - Don't import car when you move as you have 1 year to either destroy the car or take it back across the border and sell it

All up to personal situation and preference as far as which option you choose.

Thanks for sharing your inputs. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm looking for some guidance (my apologies if my questions were already answered in the past) and hopefully those who imported their car to the US can provide some useful tips/recommendations. 

I received my IR-1 visa few weeks ago and I'm preparing my big move to the US. My wife is US citizen and I live in Canada, and I will cross the border  by car. I will import the car for personal use only and have the following questions:

- The car is new (2020 model) and meets US federal emission and safety standards. I have the letter of compliance and letter of release from the manufacturer. The vehicle is equipped with TPMS and displays mileage on the speedometer. I'm good on that front. 

- Do you only need to provide the following forms to CBP: Form-7501, form HS7, Form 3520? Am I missing anything?

- Do you suggest hiring a custom broker? Or is it straightforward/easy to do it yourself?

- We contacted a broker and they informed us that we cannot process our vehicle without SSN. As you know, I won't have SSN until I cross the border and activate my visa so I am confused. Were you able to import your car with SSN? Their brokerage fee is $350. They also said that we must pay a single entry bond (based on vehicle value since it is over $2500). Finally, they said we need to apply for a SCAC code with NMFTA. Does it sound right? I've never heard of this before. 

- Do I need to contact and check with CBP at the port of entry to make sure I can import my car (do you need to inform them ahead of time?)?

I've seen many individuals on this thread who imported their car themselves so any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! 

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I see many people got after-market TPMS and successfully imported the car to USA.
Has any one had any trouble later on for follow-up on any recall, or selling the car in USA ?
In Ontario if you are selling the car, you would have to present the safety certificate. Does individual state has specific requirements ? and did any one had any issue with it ?
Also, how did your insurer reacted it? Technically your car is not meeting the FMVSS, so are you still covered ?

13 hours ago, VIR CHAMP said:

I see many people got after-market TPMS and successfully imported the car to USA.
Has any one had any trouble later on for follow-up on any recall, or selling the car in USA ?
In Ontario if you are selling the car, you would have to present the safety certificate. Does individual state has specific requirements ? and did any one had any issue with it ?
Also, how did your insurer reacted it? Technically your car is not meeting the FMVSS, so are you still covered ?

Shouldn't have any problems with recalls or selling the car in USA. Once you have received the importation docs from CBP you tender them to your respective secretary of state to register the car in that State. That is it.

I don't know of any safety certificate issued by a State. Normally you call your insurer and provide the VIN, insurer asks a few basic questions then issue a policy. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, ChiOtt said:

Shouldn't have any problems with recalls or selling the car in USA. Once you have received the importation docs from CBP you tender them to your respective secretary of state to register the car in that State. That is it.

I don't know of any safety certificate issued by a State. Normally you call your insurer and provide the VIN, insurer asks a few basic questions then issue a policy. 

Thank you! I was just not 100% sure going for after-market items so wondering if anyone had any trouble down the road. We know that insurance company would simply require a reason not to pass your claim...

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the Subaru story, I'm having the same issue with my 2017 Legacy, will go with the After market solution.  Would be able to confirm all the forms required to import your vehicle, I have the following below,

1. Compliance Letter from Subaru Canada

2. Letter from Subaru Canada stating that they cannot install the TPMS

3. HS-7  Declaration Form

4. CBP Form 7501 Department of Homeland Security US Customs and Border Protection

5. Proof of aftermarket TPMS installation

Is there anything else I need?

SGL

Hi all,

This thread has been tremendously helpful  for me getting my vehicle imported to the States and so I wanted to share my story that is pretty fresh from two days ago.

I have TN visa and I am working in the US already and I went up to Canada last month to see my parents (yes, in the midst of pandemic - as soon as I got my vaccines).

My parents recently bought a new car so they were willing to give me their old one which was 2013 Honda Civic.

I requested the compliance letter from Honda America and of course no TPMS, and the letter also says it has to be installed with genuine Honda parts, etc. etc.

My mom and I went to Service Ontario to transfer the ownership. I had all the documents so it was done right on the spot.

I also got an aftermarket TPMS system and went to a local autoshop who helped me install and also provide me with an invoice. I got this advice from this thread, so thank you.

As my time to return approached, I was worried I would get denied because of the aftermarket TPMS. I called multiple Honda dealerships and asked if I can get any TPMS system or even a simple letter saying my car has TPMS system and they all refused because they do not have any Honda genuine part for TPMS and did not want to risk anything. 

I also called Detroit border CBP office for vehicle import and explained my situation. The officer couldn't give me a clear answer because he said the approval / denial would really depend on the officer I will see.

On the day of, I first encountered the border officer to pass the border. I told him I wanted to import my car and he initially said why do you want to import if you only have a temporary visa. He said I would simply need to come back once a year to renew the Ontario license plate. He didn't want to take me to the office for vehicle import and so I almost gave up there, but I insisted. He finally gave me a yellow ticket a0nd I could then head to the office for import.

The other officer who helped me with the importing process was very nice. She simply asked all the information I needed. I filled out a form she gave me and I waited for about 15 minutes and that was it.

While I was in the office, my car was inspected by other officers, but mainly for items I'm bringing in, not the car compliance or functioning of the TPMS system. They didn't seem to care much about it. 

In the end I would also have to say I was lucky, but I just wanted to share that an aftermarket TPMS still worked for me on June of 2021.

Thanks.

Edited by 2013HondaCivic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This post really helped me a lot with importing my vehicle and I would like to share my experience. I have successfully imported and registered my vehicle (2018 Kia Forte). I am a green card holder if that makes any difference.

I was relocating from Ontario to California for a job and my company offered to deliver my car to California. I had a vehicle importing company but they said that they wouldn't be able to import the car to the USA because my car did not have a TPMS sensor. In the letter from the manufacturer it states:

In addition, this vehicle met most of the US Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), except for the following:

FMVSS 138 Regulation as this vehicle was not equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

The vehicle importing company said they would still be able to drop my car off in California, and I would be able to drive the car for a year, after which the car had to be exported. This is the option that I chose. They gave me an ACE Manifest which I had to show to the customs office. Once my car arrived in California, it was my responsibility to go to a customs office to get it imported officially (which is required to register the vehicle). I was supposed to make changes to be compliant with the FMVSS but every Kia dealership I called said that this process would be very costly and they would basically have to strip half the car to put it in. I wanted to try with aftermarket parts as I saw it worked for some people so I got a 30 dollar TPMS kit from Amazon and just installed it on my car myself. I wrote a short letter stating that I installed the TPMS sensors myself to make the car compliant with the FVMSS. Then I drove to the closest Customs office that does vehicle imports with all the paperwork (you can find the required files online) and they just looked over all the files and didn't really take a second glance at the TPMS sensor. They didn't question about it or anything. This might be because this Customs office was not in the border between Canada and USA so this type of import problem isn't very common. I got my forms stamped and the next step was the DMV.

When I got to the DMV, I also had to show them my compliance letter. They didn't really look at it that much either. I could have gotten lucky here as well because some DMV officers might be picky. Along with the other documents that the DMV requires (you can find them on the California DMV site), if your car was bought less than a year ago, then bring proof of purchase that shows that you paid tax in Ontario or else they will make you pay tax in California. Luckily I had proof of purchase so my registration fee was 280 dollars. 

Timeline:

Compliance letter: End of May 2021

Car exported from Canada: End of May 2021

Car in my hands in California: Mid June 2021

Visit California Customs office: 1 week after arrival in California

Visit California DMV: 1 week after visiting Customs office

That is the end of my story. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline
On 7/1/2021 at 6:51 PM, Ahanaf said:

This post really helped me a lot with importing my vehicle and I would like to share my experience. I have successfully imported and registered my vehicle (2018 Kia Forte). I am a green card holder if that makes any difference.

I was relocating from Ontario to California for a job and my company offered to deliver my car to California. I had a vehicle importing company but they said that they wouldn't be able to import the car to the USA because my car did not have a TPMS sensor. In the letter from the manufacturer it states:

In addition, this vehicle met most of the US Department of Transportation’s (DOT) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), except for the following:

FMVSS 138 Regulation as this vehicle was not equipped with a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

The vehicle importing company said they would still be able to drop my car off in California, and I would be able to drive the car for a year, after which the car had to be exported. This is the option that I chose. They gave me an ACE Manifest which I had to show to the customs office. Once my car arrived in California, it was my responsibility to go to a customs office to get it imported officially (which is required to register the vehicle). I was supposed to make changes to be compliant with the FMVSS but every Kia dealership I called said that this process would be very costly and they would basically have to strip half the car to put it in. I wanted to try with aftermarket parts as I saw it worked for some people so I got a 30 dollar TPMS kit from Amazon and just installed it on my car myself. I wrote a short letter stating that I installed the TPMS sensors myself to make the car compliant with the FVMSS. Then I drove to the closest Customs office that does vehicle imports with all the paperwork (you can find the required files online) and they just looked over all the files and didn't really take a second glance at the TPMS sensor. They didn't question about it or anything. This might be because this Customs office was not in the border between Canada and USA so this type of import problem isn't very common. I got my forms stamped and the next step was the DMV.

When I got to the DMV, I also had to show them my compliance letter. They didn't really look at it that much either. I could have gotten lucky here as well because some DMV officers might be picky. Along with the other documents that the DMV requires (you can find them on the California DMV site), if your car was bought less than a year ago, then bring proof of purchase that shows that you paid tax in Ontario or else they will make you pay tax in California. Luckily I had proof of purchase so my registration fee was 280 dollars. 

Timeline:

Compliance letter: End of May 2021

Car exported from Canada: End of May 2021

Car in my hands in California: Mid June 2021

Visit California Customs office: 1 week after arrival in California

Visit California DMV: 1 week after visiting Customs office

That is the end of my story. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Thank you for sharing! You seem very prepared and succeeded! 

I tried the after-market TPMS by myself as well and there was no luck. Even though they didn't seem care what kind of TPMS it is, they wanted it to be installed by the professional. I am trying to find the professional just to install it for me in the US. Most of mechanics refused to do it. I had to drive to cross the border where officers are dealing with this frequently, so visiting the US custom office might be one of the other options. Does any US custom office deal with importing vehicles? I have found a couple of them near my place. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am moving to Utah this fall and considering importing my vehicle using the advice on this thread. I have a 2019 Mercedes GLA and just got an email from them stating that it doesn’t comply with U.S. FMVSS #138 and/or #208; they won’t actually issue a letter, just an email. I would like to ask a few questions:

- do I have to import my vehicle when I cross the border and validate my TN, or can I decide later? What should I tell the agent then? Could they deny entry if I don’t import? I need my vehicle as I will be driving my large dog. Currently there are COVID related flight restrictions so I must drive my dog. I would be crossing the border in Ontario. 

- if I were to import, would an email instead of a letter of non compliance work at the border? MB won’t issue a formal letter just an “assessment” in email form.

- if I don’t import, do I continue to drive with my Canadian DL? I would keep my Canadian insurance on a Canadian address and come back every few months to visit Alberta. 

Although I would prefer the import route (I really love my car), my main issue right now is the car loan. I would prefer not paying it off right now since I have considerable expenses until the end of 2021. I understand some states like Utah allow for temporary registration without title transfer, but I don’t know if this would work for a Canadian vehicle. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.