O.C

Importing a Vehicle (Subaru) Without TPMS - Success!

223 posts in this topic

Thanks for the share. I understand why you'd wanna keep your car and glad you found a work around.  Let us know how us registration and insurance goes please!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Very informative, I added a link to this thread in our Pinned thread. It will help keep this information easily found. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Very interesting and also very strange! I imported my car just fine without that - only things needed for import were both emissions and safety standards - all was detailed on compliance letter from the manufacturer. Nothing I saw about a TPMS required. Mine's a Dodge though, so I wonder if this is import (vs domestic) specific?

For your next steps, insurance and the DMV - I have experience in that as well! 

• Keep your Canadian driver's license valid for as long as you can. This saved my butt many times! 
  • At the DMV you can get a driver's license in some cases with just a K1 (I did), but it was only valid for the 90 days end date! Once it expired, it was no use to me, but hilariously I needed it in order to register a state license plate for the car. The car's license plate is connected to this driver's license, so when it expired, I actually got pulled over! The Canadian driver's license was my saving grace.
  • Some states do NOT require a police inspection if you're not registering for resale, but it's a very simple form if you need it done, and it can be completed by literally any officer.
  • Once you get your work permit (or even green card), you can renew the driver's license up to the expiry date - and you can finally stop paying for the Canadian license. 

• Insurance was a piece of cake - No problems, but definitely more expensive than what I was used to!
  • You (usually) need an SSN for car insurance. Some companies I approached wouldn't talk to me until I had that, so I also kept my Canadian provincial insurance on the car until I had US insurance and then cancelled in writing via fax. This let me drive around legally while I waited for documents like the SSN, and before I hit up the DMV.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/06/2018 at 7:48 PM, Peot said:

Very interesting and also very strange! I imported my car just fine without that - only things needed for import were both emissions and safety standards - all was detailed on compliance letter from the manufacturer. Nothing I saw about a TPMS required. Mine's a Dodge though, so I wonder if this is import (vs domestic) specific?

For your next steps, insurance and the DMV - I have experience in that as well! 

• Keep your Canadian driver's license valid for as long as you can. This saved my butt many times! 
  • At the DMV you can get a driver's license in some cases with just a K1 (I did), but it was only valid for the 90 days end date! Once it expired, it was no use to me, but hilariously I needed it in order to register a state license plate for the car. The car's license plate is connected to this driver's license, so when it expired, I actually got pulled over! The Canadian driver's license was my saving grace.
  • Some states do NOT require a police inspection if you're not registering for resale, but it's a very simple form if you need it done, and it can be completed by literally any officer.
  • Once you get your work permit (or even green card), you can renew the driver's license up to the expiry date - and you can finally stop paying for the Canadian license. 

• Insurance was a piece of cake - No problems, but definitely more expensive than what I was used to!
  • You (usually) need an SSN for car insurance. Some companies I approached wouldn't talk to me until I had that, so I also kept my Canadian provincial insurance on the car until I had US insurance and then cancelled in writing via fax. This let me drive around legally while I waited for documents like the SSN, and before I hit up the DMV.

If your compliance letter does not state your vehicle is not TPMS equipped (or any other deal breaker for importing) then your vehicle should be fine for importing as long as it meets the EPA/Safety. My compliance letter stated it was EPA/Safety compliant, but no TPMS installed. The border would have seen that, and not let me import it without the receipt saying a TPMS has been installed.

Perhaps your Dodge has the TPMS already? Both of my parents cars a  2011 Ford and 2013 Mercedes have it, but apparently there are no Subarus in Canada that have TPMS or the ability to 'activate' the TPMS. 

One importer said to me :" Sorry you can’t import that unless you can find a Subaru dealer to install an OEM TPMS. If you find one, I doubt you will,  let me know."

So, maybe its just Subaru that doesn't do the TPMS, I have seen many forums posts regarding this issue. :/

I had to relinquish my Ontario license within 30 days of moving to Buffalo. I got it in my married name after we had got married. I just brought my Ontario license and and the marriage license to the DMV. My license does not expire for 2 years. I also got my SSN within the first week of moving to the US, and then went back to change it to my married name.

I have lived here since October, and have only just brought my vehicle over in June for importing. My insurance covers me in the US for up to 6 months, but I have imported it within 2 weeks of bringing it across. I have insurance with Progressive as I got the best price from them, but it took a couple days for them to review my documents. Apparently insurance fraud is very common in the US, so the time between bringing my car across and getting it insured was almost a week. They asked for photos of: Green card, pay stub with address, SSN Card, old insurance policy,  ON vehicle registration slip, marriage license and drivers license. I also completed a defensive driving course online for a discount on insurance, and needed to provide proof of that.

After I received my ID cards from Progressive, I went to the DMV to register my vehicle. I brought the border stamped papers, my license, the bill of sale, my ON registration, 2 forms the DMV requires (registration form and tax exempt form) and the US insurance slip. I brought my marriage license as my registration and bill of sale were in my maiden name and I also brought proof that there is no lien on my vehicle from TD Bank, as I paid off my financed vehicle. I got the new NY plates on the spot. 

The total cost was $130 for 2 years of registration, and I received a 10 day temporary inspection sticker. Inspections cost around $20 I believe, and after that I am done for now! 

Edited by Orit.d

K1 Visa                                                                                                                AOS                                                                                ROC

Feb 23/17 -  NOA1  ··· July  07/17 - NOA2                                                      Nov 14/17 Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765                         Jan 26/20 Mailed I-751 

Aug 07/17 -  at NVC ···  Aug 09/17 -  Case # Assigned                                Nov 16 & 20/17 - NOA's                                              Jan 30/20 - NOA

Aug 10/17 - Consulate Rec ···  Aug 12+14/17 - Packet 3/4                        Dec 20/18 Biometrics Appt                                     Mar 02/20 Biometrics Appt 

Aug 28/17 - Medical ···  Sep 27/17 - Interview Approved!                           Jan 25/18 - EAD/AP Approved                                 Oct 14/20 New Card Being Produced Approved!   

Oct 02/17 - Visa In Hand ···  Oct 22/17 -  POE · Peace Bridge                     Feb 01/18 - EAD/AP Card Received                         Oct 21/20 - New Card Received

Nov 01/17 - Married!                                                                                           Mar 13/18 - AOS Interview Approved!                     ??? ??/21 - ...N400?

Mar 21/18 -  Green Card Received

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing this. This is very helpful. I am in the same boat. My KIA is not equipped with TPMS. I contacted a couple of KIA dealers in Canada and US and none of them could install an OEM TPMS on my car. So, my only option is an after market version.

Please let me know what documents you took to the border to show TPMS is installed on your car. I assume receipts from Amazon and Mechanic shop?

and were you able to register your car in U.S. successfully?

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/16/2018 at 6:25 PM, Bidi said:

Thanks for sharing this. This is very helpful. I am in the same boat. My KIA is not equipped with TPMS. I contacted a couple of KIA dealers in Canada and US and none of them could install an OEM TPMS on my car. So, my only option is an after market version.

Please let me know what documents you took to the border to show TPMS is installed on your car. I assume receipts from Amazon and Mechanic shop?

and were you able to register your car in U.S. successfully?

I didn't bring the amazon receipt, just the receipt from the mechanic which states i brought my own TPMS and that he installed it! 

And yes i registered and got plates at the DMV the next day after the border.

Edited by Orit.d

K1 Visa                                                                                                                AOS                                                                                ROC

Feb 23/17 -  NOA1  ··· July  07/17 - NOA2                                                      Nov 14/17 Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765                         Jan 26/20 Mailed I-751 

Aug 07/17 -  at NVC ···  Aug 09/17 -  Case # Assigned                                Nov 16 & 20/17 - NOA's                                              Jan 30/20 - NOA

Aug 10/17 - Consulate Rec ···  Aug 12+14/17 - Packet 3/4                        Dec 20/18 Biometrics Appt                                     Mar 02/20 Biometrics Appt 

Aug 28/17 - Medical ···  Sep 27/17 - Interview Approved!                           Jan 25/18 - EAD/AP Approved                                 Oct 14/20 New Card Being Produced Approved!   

Oct 02/17 - Visa In Hand ···  Oct 22/17 -  POE · Peace Bridge                     Feb 01/18 - EAD/AP Card Received                         Oct 21/20 - New Card Received

Nov 01/17 - Married!                                                                                           Mar 13/18 - AOS Interview Approved!                     ??? ??/21 - ...N400?

Mar 21/18 -  Green Card Received

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/29/2018 at 8:07 PM, Pass7502 said:

I just bought the Vesafe kit from amazon and will be trying to get it imported early next week. I'll update as well!!!🤞

Sooooooooo...thanks to the person starting this thread, it worked for me as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

My car is officialy imported and registered!

To give more details, it did'nt look like it  would work for me at first because when I called the custom office near where I live on thursday, the officer told me it it was not something they were doing and that it had to be done when I moved here on my k1 visa and that I would have to drive back to canada and deal with it on my way back. I explained to him that I dont have my advance parole yet, so it wasnt an option for me and the one year was coming to an end and I didnt know what to do....At first the officer told me I had to do some 'homeworkd' and was going through the list of everything I needed in order to import a car and he saw that I in fact had done my homeworks and had everything he was asking...so the officer must have heard the desperation in my voice and told me he was gonna try to help me if he could and told me to call  back the next morning at 9h30 so he can have time to discuss the issue with his supervisor. 

As promised I called back and when I mentionned why I was calling and requesting the same officer I had talked to, the officer on the line said he was the supervisor, and it was him who was gonna 'deal with me' 😳. I basically repverything, he was super short, asking me if i had filled the HS799-Short and EPA 3520 forms, wich i told him I did as much as I could..he asked if I had the manufacturer letter ( I did) and thats when I mentionned it was compliant other the tpms and that I had that corrected this week and I have the invoice to prove it..he sighted and seemed annoyed and told me to go down there and he would take a look at what I have. 

When I arrived, the first officer I talked to came to me and he was suprisignly very nice and welcoming, ready to help me out so I was very relieved. He requested my Passeport, driving license, the 2 forms (he helped me complete them), the title wich was in french since im from quebec but he didnt mind, the manufacturer letter and the tpms installation invoic...he left with my paperwork for about 10 minutes and cameback with a stamped piece of paper, made me filled a couple more forms, didnt even asked to see my car or anything and sent me on my way to the dmv! 

The DMV needed to have the rmv1 form form my car insurance compagny so I had to leave and come back so make sure you have that. But other than that, they took the piece of paper from the customs, my title, made me fill a few forms and that was it!!!!!!! 

I dont know if I was lucky cause they were definitly not sweating the tpms issue, it was more about the fact that my car didnt get imported when I first move to america. So basically, make sure you show them you have done your research and have everything in hand and request your RMV1 from your insurance before going to register your car!

Hoping you guys get a nice officer willing to help out as well!

Edited by Pass7502
errors

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/6/2018 at 7:17 PM, Orit.d said:

I would like to share my experience importing my vehicle, which has no TPMS...

I decided to call the border back again and luckily got the same border agent who remembered me. I told him exactly what Canadian Tire told me and the issues I was having and he basically told me, the TPMS does not need to be part of the vehicle. They have imported vehicles that have external monitors (so basically aftermarket) and that as long as they can see the system installed, and I have a receipt from anywhere (either side of the border) then it will be fine. 

I found ONE mechanic in the Buffalo area willing to install an aftermarket TPMS system for me. I found a Schrader TPMS retrofit kit with internal sensors on Amazon for $180 and he installed it for me. I went to the QL bridge, they looked at the compliance letter, looked at the TPMS receipt, took my green card as ID, made me fill out 3 forms. After I filled them out, they stamped them, copied my registration and said go to the DMV with the paperwork, you're done here.

Ha!  So, my husband and I aren't the only ones dealing with this issue!  We are going to try and import his Elantra. Trying to get the certificate of compliance in the first place was extremely difficult because nobody from Hyundai corporate knew what we were talking about.  So, after getting passed around for a couple weeks, we finally got a letter that his vehicle meets all the EPA/DOT requirements... but it doesn't meat the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) requirements.   Only solution for us is to install an after market system.   So, guess where he is this morning?  He is in Whitby, at the dealer, getting his mechanic to install an aftermarket system.

I'm glad to hear this was successful for you, Orit.  I'll keep you posted on how we do when we try and import his car (interview is Jan 14).  We'll be coming over the 1000 island bridge.  Stay tuned!

Edited by Invisigoth

July 2016 - Started Dating

December 17, 2017 - Engaged

January 13, 2018 - Married Canadian Spouse (L)

January 18, 208 - Received Marriage Certificate

January 27, 2018 - Mailed I130

January 31, 2018 - USPS Confirms Delivery of I130 (NOA1)

February 6, 2018 - Text and Email Confirmation - Routed to Texas Service Center

February 10, 2018 - NOA1 Received in the Mail

August 3, 2018 - Petition Approved (NOA2)

August 8, 2018 - NOA2 Received in the Mail

August 14, 2018 - Case sent to Dept. of State (per my USC account at https://my.uscis.gov)

August 22, 2018 - Case received by NVC (per my 9-10 Phone call)

September 13, 2018 - Email from NVC: Notice of Immigrant Visa Case Creation

September 17, 2018 - Paid fees at https://ceac.state.gov/IV

September 23, 2018 - Filed DS261

October 7, 2018 - Submitted Civil Documents

October 17, 2018 - Case Completed at NVC  (per emails and NVC account)

December 17, 2018 - Email Notification that Interview Date is set

January 14, 2019 - Interview Complete

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, Invisigoth said:

Ha!  So, my husband and I aren't the only ones dealing with this issue!  We are going to try and import his Elantra. Trying to get the certificate of compliance in the first place was extremely difficult because nobody from Hyundai corporate knew what we were talking about.  So, after getting passed around for a couple weeks, we finally got a letter that his vehicle meets all the EPA/DOT requirements... but it doesn't meat the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) requirements.   Only solution for us is to install an after market system.   So, guess where he is this morning?  He is in Whitby, at the dealer, getting his mechanic to install an aftermarket system.

I'm glad to hear this was successful for you, Orit.  I'll keep you posted on how we do when we try and import his car (interview is Jan 14).  We'll be coming over the 1000 island bridge.  Stay tuned!

Hi Invisigoth,

I am in the same situation as you are. I want to import an Elantra without TPMS and want to know if an after-market TPMS would work.

I'd appreciate if you can provide an update on this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.