18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

After waiting for over 6 months and finally receiving an approval letter in the mail, I received an email from uscis that my case is still being reviewed. I called them and I was given the same information that it is currently under review. What does this mean? Has anyone had this happened to them before? Please respond. Thank you.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

If you've got approval notice in the mail then it sounds to me like USCIS didn't update the case status online. They're horrible about that, and I've read several instances here on VJ of this happening. You've got the official notice in your hand so it's definitely approved if that's what it says. I've never heard of them switching a case from "approved" back to review, but I guess that's certainly within their power to do.

When you call them (at least in my experience), the first contact seems to just pull up the same status that you can find online. They're not much help. My status was never online for some reason, so they would always say "hmm, I can't find you in our system". A tier-2 officer should be more helpful if you can get to one. I would try (if you haven't already) until you get lifted to the tier-2 level.

Edited by shumway88

Timeline

Thank you Shumway88 for replying. I did speak to 2 different tier 2 officers and now they've got me more confused. The first one I spoke with told me they are doing additional background check and to wait for 30 days and the second one who couldn't wait to get me off the phone told me the background check has already been completed and to wait. she told me that they processed my application backwards, instead of first doing a background check before approving the application, they approved it and sent it for background check which according to her was completed on the same day. she didn't answer my question about it being approved and kept saying just wait. I'm so confused. Btw, I got my approval letter 2 weeks ago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
8 minutes ago, MelandA said:

Thank you Shumway88 for replying. I did speak to 2 different tier 2 officers and now they've got me more confused. The first one I spoke with told me they are doing additional background check and to wait for 30 days and the second one who couldn't wait to get me off the phone told me the background check has already been completed and to wait. she told me that they processed my application backwards, instead of first doing a background check before approving the application, they approved it and sent it for background check which according to her was completed on the same day. she didn't answer my question about it being approved and kept saying just wait. I'm so confused. Btw, I got my approval letter 2 weeks ago.

This is strange
But I wouldn't exactly be surprised that it happened. 

What I suggest is this:
IF the approval is authentic, USCIS HAS to send ur case to NVC so NVC can send it to the embassy. you said it has been 2 weeks since ur letter. Begin to call NVC maybe today or early next week to see if they have ur case. 

If they have it, move on. You have been approved. If they don't have it, give them up to maybe 4 weeks. If nothing at NVC, then the Tier II's might be up to something.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline
11 minutes ago, MelandA said:

Wow. Sorry to hear. Yeah, I’m very familiar with getting rushed off the phone. I’ve spoken to a few nice reps, but mostly they’re rude and anxious to be rid of you. I wish you luck getting this all sorted.

Timeline

Thank you guys for your contributions. I called nvc today before speaking to the tier 2 officers and they didn't have my case. I will probably call them on Monday again(I'm sure they will think I'm crazy but hey I need a more definite answer). when I called the person who transferred me to the tier 2 officer also told me the case was approved but up to date, my case status has not been updated online yet. this is so confusing.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
6 hours ago, MelandA said:

After waiting for over 6 months and finally receiving an approval letter in the mail, I received an email from uscis that my case is still being reviewed. I called them and I was given the same information that it is currently under review. What does this mean? Has anyone had this happened to them before? Please respond. Thank you.

If you received your NOA2 in the mail then it's almost certain that your case is on it's way to the NVC. When is your case's approval date (based on what's printed on the NOA2)? After about 2 or so weeks from the approval date on the letter you should keep following up with the NVC about your case arriving and getting your case number. I wouldn't worry about the email because my case was recently approved and my visa is now in my hand but I've received about 2-3 emails stating that my case is still being reviewed and that there are no updates at this time.

tumblr_mvt3bpKsUQ1r02cm5o1_500.gif.904f0ac1441f847c175026508fe80090.gif

When you fall for someone with all your heart you just want to be together forever, right?

Our K1 Journey: 

Spoiler
K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : California Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Jamaica
I-129F Sent : 2017-10-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2017-10-05
I-129F RFE(s) :  
RFE Reply(s) :  
I-129F NOA2 : 2018-04-02
NVC Received : 2018-04-16
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2018-04-17
NVC Left : 2018-04-19
Consulate Received : 2018-04-20
Packet 3 Received : 2018-04-23
Packet 3 Sent : 2018-04-23
Packet 4 Received : 2018-04-25
Interview Date : 2018-05-11
Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2018-05-22
US Entry : 2018-06-02

Processing
Estimates/Stats :
Your I-129f was approved in 179 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 218 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

fTW6m5.pngJXILm5.pngPh69m5.pngMRhDm5.png

yQdym5.pngTwfwm5.pngESkzm5.png

What to do after NOA2:

Spoiler

After USCIS approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will assign you a case number and send your petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your fiancé(e) lives.

The NVC will mail/email you a letter when it sends your fiancé(e) case to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Once you receive this letter, inform your fiancé(e) to take the below-listed actions to apply for a K-1 visa and prepare for the interview. 

HTTP3d3dy5qZWxseW11ZmZpbi5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2lfbG92ZV95b3UvaW1hZ2VzLzAwMDAxY3V0ZWh1Zy5naWYlog.gif.38ae2915098c42b8ea1d9c13717a0cb8.gif

Timeline

Thank you AnaUmo, you have put me at ease a bit. My NOA2 date was May 17th. when I spoke with a tier 2 rep, he told me that the case is undergoing background check which made absolutely no sense to me. I have already called nvc and they do not have my case but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 hours ago, MelandA said:

Thank you AnaUmo, you have put me at ease a bit. My NOA2 date was May 17th. when I spoke with a tier 2 rep, he told me that the case is undergoing background check which made absolutely no sense to me. I have already called nvc and they do not have my case but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you.

As long as you have received the NOA2 I would suggest that you communicate only with NVC. USCIS has done their part and now it's up to the NVC. Unfortunately, the information provided by the call center eps aren't always accurate but going forward on Monday I would advise that you keep following up with NVC about your case. There was a recent US holiday so that might be why your case is not at the NVC yet. It took me exactly 2 weeks(no holidays so I got lucky) for my case to arrive at the NVC and an additional day to get my case assigned a case number. I think NVC is taking an average of 2-4 weeks at the moment so you shouldn't be worried if it is not there yet. Just don't give the USCIS a reason to pull your case back to them and it should be fine (can cause additional weeks of delay). Also last time I checked NVC advises that their processing can take up to 6 weeks (standard) which is uncommon but not impossible so again don't stress :thumbs: 

tumblr_mvt3bpKsUQ1r02cm5o1_500.gif.904f0ac1441f847c175026508fe80090.gif

When you fall for someone with all your heart you just want to be together forever, right?

Our K1 Journey: 

Spoiler
K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : California Service Center
Transferred? No
Consulate : Jamaica
I-129F Sent : 2017-10-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2017-10-05
I-129F RFE(s) :  
RFE Reply(s) :  
I-129F NOA2 : 2018-04-02
NVC Received : 2018-04-16
Date Case #, IIN, and BIN assigned : 2018-04-17
NVC Left : 2018-04-19
Consulate Received : 2018-04-20
Packet 3 Received : 2018-04-23
Packet 3 Sent : 2018-04-23
Packet 4 Received : 2018-04-25
Interview Date : 2018-05-11
Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2018-05-22
US Entry : 2018-06-02

Processing
Estimates/Stats :
Your I-129f was approved in 179 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 218 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

fTW6m5.pngJXILm5.pngPh69m5.pngMRhDm5.png

yQdym5.pngTwfwm5.pngESkzm5.png

What to do after NOA2:

Spoiler

After USCIS approves the petition, it is sent to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will assign you a case number and send your petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where your fiancé(e) lives.

The NVC will mail/email you a letter when it sends your fiancé(e) case to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Once you receive this letter, inform your fiancé(e) to take the below-listed actions to apply for a K-1 visa and prepare for the interview. 

HTTP3d3dy5qZWxseW11ZmZpbi5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2lfbG92ZV95b3UvaW1hZ2VzLzAwMDAxY3V0ZWh1Zy5naWYlog.gif.38ae2915098c42b8ea1d9c13717a0cb8.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Most USCIS people don't know what the hell they're talking about, so that's why you get a different story each time you call them. I agree with AnaUmo: at this point, just communicate with NVC. If NVC doesn't have your case/petition after a month or so past your NOA2 date, then you might have to follow up with USCIS unfortunately. 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
21 hours ago, MelandA said:

tier 2 has absolutely no information except the same online info you can see. You are approved and they didnt update your online status... probably never will.

happens to a very high percentage of all applicants, no need to worry you are approved.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, usmsbow said:

Most USCIS people don't know what the hell they're talking about, so that's why you get a different story each time you call them. I agree with AnaUmo: at this point, just communicate with NVC. If NVC doesn't have your case/petition after a month or so past your NOA2 date, then you might have to follow up with USCIS unfortunately. 

all uscis people at the call center don't know what they are talking about, they themselves cant even contact the California service center which is the only place on earth that actually knows whats going on with the case. The actual processing centers are intentionally insulated from any outside influence and you have no recourse. They need to just close the call center it only is an illusion of some kind of accountability or help, it would be a more honest process if they didn't even exist.

Yes agreed just contact NVC at this point.

Edited by NateAndJessica
input about NVC

Timeline

Thank you Nate and Jessica, they had me very stressed out last Friday. I will just ignore them and continue to follow up with NVC and hopefully I wont need to contact USCIS  again.

Filed: Other Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 6/3/2018 at 9:23 AM, MelandA said:

Thank you Nate and Jessica, they had me very stressed out last Friday. I will just ignore them and continue to follow up with NVC and hopefully I wont need to contact USCIS  again.

Don't be stressed out Melanda,if you got a letter from USCIS that they approved your case wait until they will send to N.V.C and it takes a little time before they send to N.V.C 

When N.V.C receive your case they will send you a letter  that your case is ready for interview and also it will take a little to send to appropriate C.Os office. Sometimes you can not see your case is updated in their website until its reach into the appropriate C.Os office, so Melanda relaxing yourself if it's true that you received approved letter from USCIS that means your case is ready for interview so give yourself time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.