Canadianeh!

Montreal embassy EB-2 interview wait time

2,986 posts in this topic

“As of July 6, 2022, most Immediate Relative and fiancé(e) visa cases being scheduled for interview in Montreal were documentarily complete at the National Visa Center in May 2022;  most Family Preference cases scheduled for interview were documentarily qualified in July 2020; and most Employment cases scheduled for interview were documentarily complete in March 2020.”

https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/

On 7/7/2022 at 10:01 PM, Sorrel said:

It's not that I have been avoiding VJ, but I have been feeling so bad that IL's have not been forthcoming since May, and I understand how hard it is just hoping everyday that they will arrive.  I also want to thank the VJ community on this forum and all the others that I read over the last four years, as they provided a wealth of information and much needed moral support.

Our interview was last Wednesday, June 29th and we were approved.  But before I go into the interview I will mention our medical exam experience.  We booked our appointment with Dr. Cheema, in Surrey, BC, on June 1st.  We flew in the day before, and had our appointment at 8:30.  The office is very efficiently run, with each receptionist having a different role.  After filing out a short questionnaire, paying our fee, and having our picture taken, we were then taken in the examing room.  The exam took all of five minutes, totally non invasive-we didn't even have to put on a gown.  We then took a taxi down the street to the Lab where the chest xray was done.  The longest wait was for the cab!  We were totally finished in less than an hour and a half.  I highly recommend Dr. Cheema, even if you are located in Eastern Canada.  His office then informed us, three days later that our results had been forwarded onto the Consulate.  One week later by Canada Post, we received a copy of our chest  x-ray, which may or may not be needed when we cross the border. 

We flew into Montreal on Monday June 27th.  Make sure you give yourself a window of time.  We woke up Monday morning with a text from Air Canada that our flight was cancelled!  We then had to scramble to find another flight.  After many delays we finally arrived Monday night. We did a dry run on Tuesday to locate the consulate and check out our timing. There is nothing identifying the Consulate on the building other than the address. We arrived at 7:10 (for our 7:30 

Interview.  There was already one couple ahead of us (two women who were EB3), then at least 16 other people followed, all with 7:30 interviews.  As many have mentioned you checked in on the main floor, and given your number, then you proceed to I think it was the second floor.  Our number was finally called at 7:50, and you proceed to the wicket and they process all of your original documents.  TIP- bring copies of all documents it saves time!  You are also finger printed, and say the oath affirming that you will answer honestly.  Then you sit down again and wait for your number to be called again.  I should mention that at the first wicket they have all the files arranged for the interviews that day.  When she pulled my file it was by far at least triple the size of the rest of the files.  Then a fellow employee appeared and began to speak to this agent in a foreign language (it sounded Spanish), and we assumed he would be the one doing our final interview.  We went to sit down again and waited for our number to be called again.  This took about 30 minutes.  We were called to a differentwindow, and thankfully it was not the foreign speaking gentleman!  The CO explained she training a new recruit, and that explained the young woman standing beside her.  She asked the following questions:

1.  What will you be doing in the US- when I started to explain, she said that was too much info, and was fine with job a job title.

2.  she noticed we had been to Russia-she asked if it was business or pleasure-started to tell her it was on a cruise-she said just say pleasure!

3.  Where did I get my degree

4.  Ever denied entry to USA

5. ever over stayed time in US

This portion lasted what felt like two minutes, then she told us we were approved.  She said we would get passport back in 4-6 weeks, but then she said it should be sooner. I requested courier service to a drop off location and am hoping to hear from them shortly.  

Other helpful info-  you cannot enter the building until your appointment time-so if it cold/hot/raining come prepared.

a couple with a large knapsack was turned away, and told to come back without knapsack.  They were still in line when we exited an hour later.

Apple watches have to checked in the lockers on main floor.

Again thank you all the support!  And good luck to all!

Congratulations @Sorrel,

Did you need to provide any updated document? like new RCMP report or letter from you employers?

Any updates on Mandamus? 

Also curious about various fees attorneys charge to file a mandamus case. 

Joshua Goldstein's law firm said I have a strong case. I was DQ'd in late May 2022. They charge a flat fee of $5400 USD

Mandamus lawsuits seem to be their expertise, but I still need to compare this fee to other firms. 

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, CaveMan2 said:

Any updates on Mandamus? 

Also curious about various fees attorneys charge to file a mandamus case. 

Joshua Goldstein's law firm said I have a strong case. I was DQ'd in late May 2022. They charge a flat fee of $5400 USD

Mandamus lawsuits seem to be their expertise, but I still need to compare this fee to other firms. 

No response to our 30 day notice of intent.  We are filing mandamus tomorrow.  I was DQ in early July 2022.  Our lawyer is $6,000.  

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, 3LabMom said:

No response to our 30 day notice of intent.  We are filing mandamus tomorrow.  I was DQ in early July 2022.  Our lawyer is $6,000.  

Do you mean you were DQ'ed July 2020?

Timeline
On 7/13/2022 at 3:59 PM, Sorrel said:

Thank you!  We did get our criminal check done (for the 4th time) just to ensure that we did not have any problems.  Also job an updated employment letter (which they did ask for).  We picked up our passports on Monday along with the big file that I mentioned above (which says do not open!).  We are not planning on leaving until October, because we have to get all of financials in order before we leave Canada.  My thoughts are with everyone who is still waiting for an interview!

Did it take 12 days from June 29 to July 11th to get your passport back? Any way to request for an expedited return of the passport especially for those who are already living/working in the US? It might be difficult to take 2-3 weeks off from work, and we would also have to rent a hotel for those 3 weeks.

Timeline
On 6/22/2022 at 12:46 PM, GLI said:

I made that decision in December, was relocated on a L1 visa in February (2022), AOS was submitted in March 

Had my bio in May and got the medical RFE last week, hope to respond in the next week or two. 

Can you please update us on the status of your AOS? Did you also apply for EAD and AP alongside your I-485? Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.