112 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, just want to share a quick update.... So I finally yesterday igot my status changed notification that card is being produced, after this long and exhausting wait.... I am so happy right now... It was really nice of everyone to post their experiences here, which is what gave me hope and finally I can say its here.... Good luck to everyone who is going through the process and all the best....Screenshot_20190829-121139_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f7813fcd72cf9d673481dd7d6ba18b72.jpg

On 3/24/2019 at 4:53 PM, BrokenWings said:

Hey Folks -

Got another update yesterday. Got a notice that my case was evaluated primarily and transferred to VSC from CSC. The VSC office will adjudicate the case; they will let me know if any further document or interview is necessary. 

Looking forward-

That's great news, congratulations! I can only imagine the relief you must be feeling! 

I am about to (finally) start the process myself... Any tips to share? At the end of your journey, would you say that hiring a lawyer was the best thing to do? 
Also, once you submit the i-751 with a waiver, do the USCIS contact your US Citizen spouse proactively to get their side of the story? 

I remember your case involving your ex sending them a letter, but I might be wrong....

1 hour ago, kris.n said:

That's great news, congratulations! I can only imagine the relief you must be feeling! 

I am about to (finally) start the process myself... Any tips to share? At the end of your journey, would you say that hiring a lawyer was the best thing to do? 
Also, once you submit the i-751 with a waiver, do the USCIS contact your US Citizen spouse proactively to get their side of the story? 

I remember your case involving your ex sending them a letter, but I might be wrong....

I would say hiring a lawyer would depend upon how confident you are in your case... I won't say do or dont, but I did it on my own just by reading and researching alot. They never contacted contacted my US Citizen spouse, but at one point she tried to paint a bad picture. I think with a well filed application and how you handle your interview, that's a big thing for you.... Good luck

On 8/30/2019 at 8:43 PM, kris.n said:

If you have your paper works organized then you don't need lawyer at all. Just think if you are genuine and how strong you are to present yourself. I hired an attorney for no good reason but just the peace of mind. Fill out the application, prepare a nice cover letter including the list of documents, place your reasoning in a nice order and go ahead by own filing. Lawyers don't create evidences; they just organize them and ask you to provide them. Check my timeline and the evidences I provided. 

My ex sent out letter and contacted USCIS when she thought me as threat for her new life. Emotion is a part of human chemistry and the IOS should understand that. Prove you had love before marriage and married in best faith; Prove you had all desires to construct a happy life and your intentions were genuine. Thats all they want to see. If nothing works then still you have rest of the world to give little space for your both feet. Bulgaria is a nice country; I am planning to travel this year end! 

On 8/29/2019 at 12:19 PM, j-unique said:

Hello everyone, just want to share a quick update.... So I finally yesterday igot my status changed notification that card is being produced, after this long and exhausting wait.... I am so happy right now... It was really nice of everyone to post their experiences here, which is what gave me hope and finally I can say its here.... Good luck to everyone who is going through the process and all the best....Screenshot_20190829-121139_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f7813fcd72cf9d673481dd7d6ba18b72.jpg

So this is my final update on my case.... I got my 10 years green card in the mail on Friday 06/09/2019.... I am so happy right now... I hope everyone here get there with no negatives... God bless

5 minutes ago, j-unique said:

So this is my final update on my case.... I got my 10 years green card in the mail on Friday 06/09/2019.... I am so happy right now... I hope everyone here get there with no negatives... God bless

Did u get any interview? Feel free to share your timeline. Relationship-Marriage-Downfall- Duration- Evidences you provided for bonafide marriage or for other options. Our experience will help everyone. 

On 8/17/2019 at 12:50 AM, zzBh13 said:

My case just got approved today ! For everyone still waiting!! There’s hope! I had the most complicated case and amended to a divorce waiver on the spot during my interview.

Feel free to share your timeline. Relationship-Marriage-Downfall- Duration- Evidences you provided for bonafide marriage or for other options. Our experience will help everyone. 

3 minutes ago, BrokenWings said:

Did u get any interview? Feel free to share your timeline. Relationship-Marriage-Downfall- Duration- Evidences you provided for bonafide marriage or for other options. Our experience will help everyone. 

Feel free to share your timeline. Relationship-Marriage-Downfall- Duration- Evidences you provided for bonafide marriage or for other options. Our experience will help everyone. 

I have it all on my profile on this forum... go to my profile and see my posts

@bbeaan I read your post. Go for divorce; you can easily remove your condition if your marriage was real and based on love. You just need to prove it via documents and evidences of life events. 
Show you had love and that was genuine; if you can prove he had same then its a plus :P 
Show you guys shared life together like home, bills, plans, insurances, assets, future goals etc.
Show you guys had feelings of married couple and you show you had best intention and genuine. 
Every case is different; you know how you can prove it. I was traumatized when I was getting divorced. even my ex filed written complains against me to take off her affidavit and to get me deported. I feel sorry what we went thru but it was over. I gathered evidences and I found one thing clearly in my evidences as par many observers -- I always tried to do what a right person would have done. Relationship can falls and none to blame here; it cant just work out. 

You can travel as long as your GC is not expired or if expired then if you have the NOA for extension. I did travel to Canada, China, India, Bangladesh in 2018-2019. 

Honestly now I feel -- It is really better to live your life instead of living for someone else who does not care u best. 

Good luck 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

@BrokenWings your case is kind of similar to mine. Mine may be more complicated. I filed joint april 2018. April 2019 i filed for divorce petition and it was getting kind of nasty, my ex went to USCIS office wrote a letter and blamed me for idk whatever and requested  to withdraw the joint petition. July 2019 my joint petition was withdrawn. As soon as my divorce was finalized, I filed another i751 with a waiver and with new filing fees. I have plenty of evidences to prove that my marriage was in good faith. i sent all the evidences, waiver form, a letter explaining marriage and divorce. But I have to wait another year for the decision again. i got the extension letter but letter expires 18 months of the expiry date of gc. So I will have stamp on my passport for a year i guess and more waiting time for me I guess.

• 1 month later...

@j-unique and @BrokenWings - thank you for your responses! 

Although my relationship and feelings were genuine, I am not 100% confident simply because I keep comparing the amount of evidence I have to other people's - we were poor and my EAD took so long I only started working a few months before we separated. Therefore, we didn't have car titles and a bunch of purchases under both our names as we were barely getting by, which, needless to say, put a lot of strain on the relationship. 
For my GC interview I remember we had a really good connection with the IO as we turned out to have some common interests we discovered in the process, but he did say, "I understand you guys are a young couple, just starting out, so I'm gonna approve this even though you don't have a whole lot of evidence". We separated not very long after, and there isn't much more evidence I'd be able to present. 

However, even in the situation that I'm in I don't really see how hiring a lawyer would change anything - I have some experience with the previous filings and I feel like I can go through the process on my own. I do, however, have a couple of questions that I'd appreciate some insight on:

1. The letter of explanation - I am trying to figure out the best way to draft this. My first attempt ended up being way too detailed and I got really frustrated as it's hurtful for me to go back and think about it. How long approximately should it be? Do you only write about the reason that the marriage ended or do you also do a brief summary of the overall relationship? Also - and this is a very silly question - how do you title this lol? "A Letter of Explanation" seems a bit... odd? 

2. Name change - I did take my husband's name and I haven't filed for changing it back anywhere just yet, but I'm planning on going back to my maiden name eventually. Should I fill out the I-751 form with my maiden name? Would they actually end up using that for my (if everything goes well) new green card or would it only cause confusion?

3. Can I include photos from before my ex and I got married? I do have some photos of us with my family that I would like to include, I just hope it's not an issue that they've been included in the previous filings...

4. Has anyone traveled abroad with ongoing I-751 process? I have a work thing at the end of January and I'm worried, as my I-751 paperwork hasn't been submitted yet. I will make sure to submit as soon as I can (def before the end of October), and I think as long as the send me the notice that they received I should be fine, but in case that doesn't happen by the time I need to leave, I'm worried that I'll give them my conditional GC at the point of entry, then - naturally - they will ask me if I'm married, and what happens when I say I'm actually divorced? Technically, I know my GC can be revoked if I am no longer married... Should I also bring with me marriage certificate, divorce order and... some kind of proof that I have submitted my application for removal of conditions? I will probably end up bringing all those things but it just seems like such a complicated situation... 😕 Any advice? 

Sorry for the super long post, your support is greatly appreciated and I'm grateful that you keep coming back to this forum answering questions! 

Filed: Timeline

@kris.nIts called an affidavit. You can use google to find some sample templates if you need to but you want to include an explanation of the relationship from courtship to divorce. 

Use the name you want on the 751 and it will be the name printed on your GC. If you do not fill out the 751 with maiden name you will get a card in your married name and then have to pay (apx 600) to change the name on it later. 

You can include old evidence they already have but its best to include as much new evidence as you can

Your card can NOT be revoked because you are no longer married! Not sure where you got that from? You just need to make sure you file 751 before the card expires. If you are filing under a waiver then you can file at any time (earlier) but do not file late. Do not travel until you get the NOA for the 751. You need that along with your expired GC to travel. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I submitted a joint I-751,145 days ago. Been having issues since I moved here, tried all means to work through it, except for counseling. But at the moment we have decided to get divorce and getting separated now. 

my question here is, can anyone point me in the direction of how to switch to a divorce waiver as to when the the divorce is filed?. One reason being all documents I submitted for the joint petition, I didn’t make copies of It because I never thought we would get divorce and always worked out our challenges.

also do I need to gather more evidence as we are currently renting an apartment, because we moved to a different state, and much of the argument leading to this decision of divorce is based on moving here? 

thank you and any response will be greatly appreciated. 

On 10/26/2019 at 3:49 PM, brown & orange said:

Hey guys, 

I submitted a joint I-751,145 days ago. Been having issues since I moved here, tried all means to work through it, except for counseling. But at the moment we have decided to get divorce and getting separated now. 

my question here is, can anyone point me in the direction of how to switch to a divorce waiver as to when the the divorce is filed?. One reason being all documents I submitted for the joint petition, I didn’t make copies of It because I never thought we would get divorce and always worked out our challenges.

also do I need to gather more evidence as we are currently renting an apartment, because we moved to a different state, and much of the argument leading to this decision of divorce is based on moving here? 

thank you and any response will be greatly appreciated. 

@brown & orange Hey -- You can either submit the divorce decree during interview process and ask them to switch to divorce waiver if you get interviewed. Or you can send a letter saying request for switching to divorce waiver and add the final divorce decree; must mention your alien registration number and case number from I-797. Besides, if you send the divorce waiver for switching please be wise to add 2-3 notarized affidavit from friends and family about the relation; best choice to make one from your EX and 1-2 more from her family members. 

4 hours ago, BrokenWings said:

@brown & orange Hey -- You can either submit the divorce decree during interview process and ask them to switch to divorce waiver if you get interviewed. Or you can send a letter saying request for switching to divorce waiver and add the final divorce decree; must mention your alien registration number and case number from I-797. Besides, if you send the divorce waiver for switching please be wise to add 2-3 notarized affidavit from friends and family about the relation; best choice to make one from your EX and 1-2 more from her family members. 

I doubt she will be willing to write an affidavit for our marriage,  also she was disowned by her family and have met only one family member of hers, who doesn't really know much about us to write an affidavit, so If I don't have any affidavit can I still go ahead and submit to switch to a divorce waiver?

21 hours ago, brown & orange said:

I doubt she will be willing to write an affidavit for our marriage,  also she was disowned by her family and have met only one family member of hers, who doesn't really know much about us to write an affidavit, so If I don't have any affidavit can I still go ahead and submit to switch to a divorce waiver?

You can go ahead and have your explanation ready for not her giving you an affidavit. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.