CarlHamilton

What if you could pay to expedite N400 processing?

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, IslAmy said:

Does anyone actually NEED citizenship if they are a permanent resident?  I think a paid expedite is unfair for processes everyone has to go through like K1/IR1 and ROC, but for the N400 I see it as the "bonus/extra credit process".  

I would definitely be willing to pay for an expedited process. I don't think it's plausible because their staff is overloaded already, but we can dream.

The biggest benefit for us would be to be able to travel to countries visa-free.  My wife is from the Philippines so it's really limited to where we can go without a visa.  We applied/got a Schengen visa for her a few years ago to travel in Europe and that was kind of a hassle.  

But we just got done with a 4 month vacation, so no traveling planned until maybe next year.  

Sure, I would easily pay extra for guaranteed expedited service, e.g. you get an interview within the designated timeframe. You don't get approved, of course - that is entirely up to the merits of your case. $1000-1500 seems fine. Is there an element of 'unfairness' ? Yes, but that's basic pay to play. On the other hand, the premium paid by those who can afford it, pays for the incomes and services of the personnel and systems that everyone is using. It's like traveling in business or first class . It's not 'fair' that economy class sits in cramped seats. But they get to benefit from cheaper fares on the back of the higher fares paid by those up front. 

This is really no different from H1B premium processing. For those arguing that citizenship has a higher bar on background verification, that is true. But just to apply for citizenship, you need to have reached the already high bar of permanent residency, which gives you a whole lot of freedoms already, and has a significant application process now. To the authorities, the period of permanent residency is a 'trial run' towards citizenship, for those who make an N400 application. It is not like N400 applications can be made next morning by someone who just landed in the US for the first time yesterday on a B-1 visa. You'd have gone through a minimum 2-3 rounds of applications and potentially face-to-face interviews and checks, even before one gets around to being able to apply for N400. 

Filed: Other Country: Sweden
Timeline
4 hours ago, Rusty72 said:

Why expedite it...seems VERY fast for me i sent mine in on march 5 2018 my interview is May15 2018..

Didn't cost me any extra

Included a screen cap of my case history cause i know someone will call BS...and yes i whited out my case number

Capture+_2018-04-13-17-39-04.png

Your experience is not typical.  If everyone were processed this fast we would, of course, not have this conversation (or maybe even this subsite).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration, from US Citizenship Discussion - Although the OP started this discussion about the N400 process. He is not asking  processing questions to help with his process. His question is more of a 'What If' and is best in this forum.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The analogy of comparing passport issuance with immigration processing is not quite correct.

A passport is one finite item.  Each case is the same.  Either your fees and paperwork are in order, or they're not.

You've already qualified to apply by virtue of your U.S. citizenship -- you're a USC, or you're not.

The U.S. Passport agency handles this one finite item.

Changes in status imply a great many other variables, as stated earlier.

Each stage has its own requirements and standards.  Some are obvious to us, and some are hidden from us.

USCIS handles dozens of application types.  Each type is unique, and each application is unique.

Apparently, submitting the N-400 online yields a far more rapid response than does submission by mail.

This doesn't help applicants already in the system, but it's an avenue of faster processing for others to come.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.